• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.408 Chey Tac loads

ARMECA

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2008
France
Hello guys,

I'm searching some .408 CT load infos :

I've on hand some Lost River 419 grs solids bullets, VV N170 & N 570 powder, Jamison "2 stars" brass, and Fed 215 M primers.

Barrel is a Lothar-Walther ( .400 lands - .408 grooves, 8 grooves ) 32" lenght and 13" twist.

Just need some starting loads !

Thanks !

Re: .408 Chey Tac loads

The N170 is too fast for a .408. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">don't use it</span></span>. The VV N570 is ok.

Alliant Reloader 25 and Hogdon Retumbo are your best choices. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Slow powder</span></span>

Get yourself the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Quick load program </span></span>it will help. You will have to measure up a 419 solid and add it to the bullet data base. Also you need to know the max. operating pressure of your rifle. this will give you a starting place. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Contact your builder he should have starting loads for your weapon</span></span>

Contact <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NotAGuru</span></span> on this web site he is a .408 expert as well as a builder.

I shoot 125.5 grains of RL25. Some shoot up to 129 grains with 419 grainers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Contact <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NotAGuru</span></span> on this web site he is a .408 expert as well as a builder.</div></div>

well actually you will not be contacting him on this site due to fact he has been banned.

armeca---it is always safe to start the 419gr solids with rl25 at 124.5gr and work up, as jimmy said there are some people that use upwards to 129gr of RL25.

Thanks

Here is a link to a thread you might find interesting if you haven't already searched and found it:

Link

P.S. Use this search engine: SH Search Engine

I thought Notaguru was just on a temporary suspension. Permanently banned?

Thanks for your swift answers.

In fact, I'm the gunsmith ! ( you can see my website on my signature... ).

But I need some advices, because I live in France, and I'm one of the first Chey Tac's builder.

The action on the first rifle is a Lawton 8000, and I'll have also Barnard P-Chey soon.

Reamer is a PTG.

Also, we haven't access to US powders. Only VV is available ( and I'm a dealer of them ) I've also 24 N 41 & 20 N 29 on hand.

I've run Quick load, but I prefer to have some field experiences !

Many thanks !

I am on the other end unable to get N570 here in the US, if I could I would start at about 128 Gns. OAL 4.303 and work from there.

I use QL for basic work up and verify with field testing, the only thing I have as a problem is that my M-96 windrunner will hide pressure signs until you are over the top.

Best of luck.

Contrary to what has been posted N170 is SLOWER than RL25 and is listed by VV for 50BMG loads (227grains below a 647gr.projectile)VVN570 is a double based powder-both are tough to come by here in the US. If you look at Powder burn charts from all manufacturers-170 is listed as slower than RL25.

I've used 96 grains of 24N41 in the 338LM with the 300SMK but found my SD's to be unnacceptable.But gives very good results with the 50BMG.

Quickload although a guide tends to be VERY conservative.

I'm able to put a max of 140 grs of N 170 or N 570 in the .408 case, without a drop tube...

I think I'll begin at 125 grs and work up...

ARMECA, the 419gr solid performs best around 883 meters per second, though some slower loads have proven to be more accurate for some shooters. At around 883mps (2900fps)it stays supersonic to maximum distance.

Hi ARMECA,

What's the Cartridge Overall Length and could you give us the N570 charge range ?