• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

408 Cheytac brass quality?

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
Guys

Thinking of having a 375Cheytac put together, but brass quality worries me.

What brass are you guys using, and how is it performing? Are any of you using brass manufactured by Bertram in Australia?

Cheers

Re: 408 Cheytac brass quality?

I had some early jamison brass and it weighed all over the place. The newer stuff is good. I just got 100 cases from Bertram and it is shooting very well. (mine is a 408)I would not hesitate to go the 375 there is now good stuff out there.

Agreed, the newer Jamison brass is pretty damned good. I initially got a batch of Bertram manufactured cases from EDM back in 2007, but they were too soft and couldn't handle even a starting load. The early Jamison brass had similar problems, but that has been resolved and is holding up very well to multiple loads (I neck size twice before FL sizing). I was able to get a really good deal on some 400gr TTI ammo that I've been shooting just for the brass and if you can get a hold of TTI brass - it's also GTG.

Agree with all previous. The shooters here, and everywhere were also sick and tired of inferior JI brass, and beleive me, we here let our opinions be known. So, CheyTac hired 2 brass consultants. One from Federal, and one from Winchester, the 2 top producing brass companies in the US. They were sent to JI for several months.

Since then I have yet to see anything better. Also by the way, TTI got all their brass from Bertram. Good stuff, but one in the same.

The Horneber brass was the 1st brass we used, and excellent stuff. They just could not supply the quantity needed and had long lead times for large orders.

That is what I know about the brass.

DJD

Djd can I send you my old once fired junk brass for a refund for some new stuff?
smile.gif

Guys, so you are also saying the newer Bertram brass is ok now, and not soft like it was? It is a big deciding factor if I am to build this the quality of brass.

I am located in Australia, and having a local supply of brass is important!

Cheers

Yes the new bertram brass is good.

I would love to go there and get on a ridge a shoot ferel donkeys a mile away.

The new Jamison 375CT headstamp brass is top notch.Very consistent weight,uniform neck thickness,centered primer pockets and has lasted 5 firings for some of the brass I've used for load development thus far.

Steve

Steve

Where did you get you 375 brass? I'm looking to build out my 408 CheyTac action and either the 375 or 338 is going to be my chosen size since it looks like we have finally resolved teh brass issue.

JeffVN

Newer brass had stars on it, older brass did not.. I do not know if they are still doing it that way or not.

I have used the Jamison 375 brass, it is top notch. I torture tested some of them and got thirty loads out of them. The pockets feel a little loose now but I would still use them in a pinch. The weights and necks are very consistant. They are stamped 375 Chey-Tac/Jamison with stars. Most of the loads were on the mild side but a few of them were pretty stiff.

Jimmy M40a2,

CheyTac will replace any brass that does not have the 2 stars, at no charge one for one, if it is unfired. I am told it is a legal thing.

Dave

Ackley Imroved,

I also want to answer your question about the Bertram brass which you originally posted. Yes....it is <span style="font-weight: bold">very good </span>stuff in my opinion. Very good. I would encourage you to build your rifle, use it, use Bertram brass being an Aussie, and enjoy!

That's what I'd do.

djd

Hi Jeff,

I was in Las Vegas at Kurt's match and thus away from the computer.What "Later" said about the 375CT brass.I've got the 2 star type.

Steve