• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

408 CT sub sonic loads?

Sandbogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
Nor Calif.
I am looking for some subsonic loading data for the 408 chey tac.

(the 308 sub sonic loads with Trail boss are a blast, I would like to try some sub sonic loads in the 408 as well if it is possible.)

Re: 408 CT sub sonic loads?

Now there's something I've never heard of.
shocked.gif

Why?? Seems like a waste of an extreme long range round to neuter it to subsonic speed.

Agree with Rob01. Why? That is like saying you want a corvette with lawn mower engine.

There are times when your out and about, you may need a quite round going threw a can, or something to punch threw with or start a fire. Changing to specials in your main stick is alot easier than humping another stick or waiting on whoever. Specialty ammo has saved many a mission.

Why?

1) My kids enjoy shooting 308 sub sonics, they would love to shoot a 408 sub sonic
2)Urban interface deer hunting.(dont want to wake the neighbors!!)
3)The joy of a long flight time(watch quigley down under.We shoot 308 subsonics to 500 and it gives me a chub every time!!)
4)All my friends want to shoot it and it would be nice to have a load that is less than $8 bucks a pop.
5)It would be much easier on the steel targets
6)More trigger time.
7)And last but not least because it is America and I can!!

You do not always need an 6lb sledge hammer, sometimes an 12oz ball peen will work nicely!!

There is a fine line between going sub sonic and getting the bullet stuck in the barrel.
maybe the case is to big to get the bullet to go that slow!?

Cheers,

Master Diver

I have a suppressor in my 408 but I have never worked on any subsonic loads. The bullets (to me) are too expensive to mess around anything under 1400 yards.(I like full power loads) I personally would just shoot 308 sub sonics or 300 wisper of even 50 bmg sub sonics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhihXFZq0e0&feature=related
For allot less money.But if you want I say go for it and share your load data!

Ran that load in Quickload and it showed a major initial pressure spike. I sent the guy a message to get some additional info on it.

I suppose you could shoot a fast powder to obtain a 100% burn rate in the barrel while keeping the bullet around 1000fps. A big issue would be that the bullet would not be going fast enough to stabilize. I would guess that if you were able to get a successful shot < 1100fps, it would have horrible accuracy and useable only < 100 yards.

perhaps a load might be:
Cheytac Solid 412gr bullet,
H110 25.0gr
1097fps

Quickload says it will work, but, I wouldn't do it.

You should be testing suppressed subsonic rounds without the can on to verify stability first and foremost. I don't know why most people doing experimenting on subsonics don't make this connection.

A chronograph and a 50yd target will tell you if it's subsonic and if it's stable. Once both of those are verified then it's time to put the suppressor back on.

There are some hunting bullets you can get in 408's I think, you're probably going to have much better luck stabilizing them than you are a 400gr turned solid meant for 2000+ yd

Another thing that you can consider is that subsonic profiles are completely different than supersonic profiles. While a sharply profiled nose flies well supersonically, a rounded nose with a teardrop tail is much more optimal for subsonic ammo. You don't need a 7 caliber bullet with an 18+ caliber ogive to be doing well with subsonics.

All in all, skip the long range bullets and look for stuff more meant in hunting calibers. You'll get good, if not better, results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All in all, skip the long range bullets and look for stuff more meant in hunting calibers. You'll get good, if not better, results

</div></div>

Bingo!

I ran the numbers using our bullet design program and using the .408 420gr. Rocky Mountian match bullets at 1100 fps you will need a 11 twist tube to come up with a stability factor of 1.5.
Your rifle most likely has a 13 twist so I would say you right on the edge of being able to stablize the bullet at sub sonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why?? Seems like a waste of an extreme long range round to neuter it to subsonic speed.</div></div>

+1. I was thinking the same thing right before I read rob's post.