• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.408cheytac

Re: .408cheytac

they are a blast to shoot, wish i had the money to throw down on the M200. That to me is the ultimate gun of my dreams

For the 4th of July I brought my 375 Cheytac out to my brother in laws ranch.
I let some family and friends of the family shoot at a rock 2500 yards away on the cinder hill.
LOL,I had to cut em off!They were having way too much fun!!!!!They would have shot up all my ammo if I allowed them.Yes addicting is a good word to describe the sensation.

Steve

It's very addicting, especially if you have any time behind .50BMG rifles.

If you reload what is the cost to shoot a .408 round? I have seen the projectiles, but where do you get brass and what powder do they recommend? Thanks!

I have the M200 and the Customer Service from CheyTac is a joke at best.
I would NEVER recommend them!

Mussman, I built this one my self so had nowt to do with cheytac as a company.

I figured on about 7 Euro per round is what the ammo would cost trade price no tax, retail you'd be some where around 9 maybe 10 euro a round. It would be less in the States i guess.

last time i fired a .50 cal it was a M2HB that we'd mounted a scope on, i didn't bother about the price of Ammo at the time as her Majesty's Govt was picking up the bill..

I'm thinking about long range wild boar with a Cheytac, hmmm
Pete

Bernard, Jamison International makes the brass and most guys use Retumbo, Reloader 25 or US-869 powders (and plenty of it!). I haven't done a price breakdown on my 375-408, but I'm guessing around $4 or $5 a round to shoot with new brass and depending on the bullet cost. Of course you'll start saving a little more by reusing the brass & it depends on how many loadings you get from the brass as well.

Wow, 4-5 bucks a pull. 300 win mag (45 cents a round) and .308 (37 cents a round) are fine with me right now. I think I'll pass.

But it is soooo much fun poking out and hitting targets at 2000 yards like they were at 500.
P1010610.jpg

I have 12 LRBT J40 projectiles left. <span style="font-weight: bold">.408 caliber, 419 grain</span> but the humidity has gotten to them and they have brown spots. Anyone interested in these?

I also have 10 <span style="font-weight: bold">.510 caliber, 773 grain</span> LRBT J40 projectiles left. The humidity has gotten to them as well and they also have brown spots. Anyone interested in these?

Brass is about $2.50ea and good projectiles are about $2.25ea as well, so virgin rounds can be about $5ea. Of course, you save money as soon as you reload that brass. Essentially with the next 8-12 loads with that brass (assuming you got good stuff) the main cost becomes bullets. Lehigh makes 375gr solids that are about $1.40ea but don't perform at extreme distance as well as the LRBT profile Jamison solids, but it does make shooting the rifle less expensive. There are also some standard jacketed lead bullets out there, but either way, it's not a cheap rifle to shoot. Still, few calibers can compete with it at extreme ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mussman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the M200 and the Customer Service from CheyTac is a joke at best.
I would NEVER recommend them! </div></div>

Just out of curiousity what kind of problems have you had out of their customer service?? Not bashing or defending them just wondering

I have been chasing after one of these for quite sometime and am about to make the commitment but one of the questions that I keep having and no one can give me a straight answer....is the 408 whether EDM, Cheytac, or any other brand been picked up by our military or even been tested positive/negative?? Anyone

I have been looking also. I found that brass are $350/100 new and bullets are $2 + per. The key is to have a range that you can stretch to at least 2000+ yards. Otherwise, it gets mighty expensive. My 338 LM is already capable of reaching to about 1700+.. I need to think some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been chasing after one of these for quite sometime and am about to make the commitment but one of the questions that I keep having and no one can give me a straight answer....is the 408 whether EDM, Cheytac, or any other brand been picked up by our military or even been tested positive/negative?? Anyone </div></div>

Yes.

Shot a 408 improved a couple of years ago, only stretched to 1000 mtrs but it was fun I have to admit.

Been toying with the idea of building myself a large cal single shot on a Barnard Chey action..

Still undecided on 375 or 408 and of course the issue of projectile avilablity is worthy of consideration here too.

A CT is on the lsit of "wants", just need a kick up the arse to aquire parts and build it..

Hey Andy, thats what this one was based on,. P Chey Barnard, excellent single shot action. Its got a LW barrel and is in a Manners T4 stock.

We've an RCS / AICS type stock comming along nicely for the P Chey, and I think Mcree's has a modular to suit the P Chey.

I can get factory .408 Cheytac ammo here in Germany, but have to buy in 2000rd lots !!! bullets are available as are cases.. but it is an expensive machine to feed mate !!

best regards Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it has been picked up by the military or yes u have input positive/negatives or yes for both lol </div></div>

Yes the military is using something like that. I cant go into details.

Results.... Very positive.

Billyburl2,

LOL,Sounds good!But you have to bring all your guns and ammo up and let me try em all out.I get 10 shots out of yours,per 1 375CT though.Unless of course you marry into the family,then it gets much cheaper.

Steve

Played with the windrunner a while back for about 70 rounds to a mile. It's a bad ass beast, we also had a 50 and nobody wanted to shoot the 50 after the 408. I was having fun with the 338 pua and 7wsm to a mile but the 408 made it look easy

Funny guy you are!I'm referring to my earlier post.Haha,I'm happily married,thanks NotaGuru.That's my wife's immediate family.Lots of kin ya know.Kinda like those Montanans.If he looked hard enough he might be able to find a vacancy in the family somewhere,LOL.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 12 LRBT J40 projectiles left. <span style="font-weight: bold">.408 caliber, 419 grain</span> but the humidity has gotten to them and they have brown spots. Anyone interested in these?

I also have 10 <span style="font-weight: bold">.510 caliber, 773 grain</span> LRBT J40 projectiles left. The humidity has gotten to them as well and they also have brown spots. Anyone interested in these?

</div></div>

I'll take the 10 in .510!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny guy you are!I'm referring to my earlier post.Haha,I'm happily married,thanks NotaGuru.That's my wife's immediate family.Lots of kin ya know.Kinda like those Montanans.If he looked hard enough he might be able to find a vacancy in the family somewhere,LOL.

Steve </div></div>

I had too sorry.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take the 10 in .510!</div></div>

I have 110 moly coated and 40 not coated if your serious about the .510 773 grain J40 LRBT.

I was going to build a DTC for Ca. legal but am losing interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been chasing after one of these for quite sometime and am about to make the commitment but one of the questions that I keep having and no one can give me a straight answer....is the 408 whether EDM, Cheytac, or any other brand been picked up by our military or even been tested positive/negative?? Anyone </div></div>

trigger-fifty [sp?] is the person to PM regarding this matter. He is very much a guru on this subject.

Ah alright. Well just talked to Tom Miller with EDM and will hopefully be going down to the Del Mar, CA Gun Show this weekend and check out all of the EDM models.

You can buy one just back from A-Stan.
http://02bfe1c.netsolhost.com/news.htm
bottom of page.
Bill Ritchie does this at no charge to the military, and often donates rifles at .50 shoots (events) as well as to support legislation for the shooting sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been chasing after one of these for quite sometime and am about to make the commitment but one of the questions that I keep having and no one can give me a straight answer....is the 408 whether EDM, Cheytac, or any other brand been picked up by our military or even been tested positive/negative?? Anyone</div></div>

It can be expensive to shoot (A-Max projo's alone are $2 a pop) but once you start it is hard to go back. Like your first time in a fast car or truck and then stepping into your normal driver. Having done an 8.60 at 164 drag racing, raced a class 7, 7S, 7S 4X4, and class 8, modified on dirt and asphalt driving in someones "real fast" street car just isn't really much of a thrill. I suppose it is just perspective. If you have only shot and or been around pellet guns and .22's (don't get me wrong they are fun) but someone shows up with a GAP .308 and tells you to give this a try well you are just fucked from that point on.
smile.gif

DSC05534.jpg

Has the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooter's Assoc) done anything to open the 408 for competition? Seems like they've done some experimenting with the caliber a few years back and considered it pretty wonderful.

Just wonder if it's suitable for long range competitions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunsAreCool.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooter's Assoc) done anything to open the 408 for competition? Seems like they've done some experimenting with the caliber a few years back and considered it pretty wonderful.</div></div>

FCSA is really picky about calibers. For example, they make a huge distinction between .50BMG and .510 DTC - not allowing the latter in certain classes. So no, I don't think you'll see people showing up to FCSA events with .408s in any numbers. Of course, other long range competitions are another story. In most 1000 yard comps I've seen .338LM be quite the popular round. .408 isn't going to have much of an edge on it at that distance (<span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> with the 305gr low max ord round).

It's only allowed in certain FCSA events - some are .50BMG only.