• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

~40L/45L hunting pack suggestions

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Starting a journey as a Cous deer hunting here in AZ.

I currently have an Arc'teryx Khard 30 backpack that I use for shooting and occasional use, but I don't think it's the most suitable pack for hunting.

I want to stick to around ~40/45ish L for size, I'm not sure if much more volume is required. Modularity would be nice if my hunting ambitions grow (I see HPG has a lot of external packs that can be added to their backpacks).

Maybe nice to have a spot to carry the rifle? Not sure how many here carry the rifle on a sling or in a pack - open to suggestions. My hunting rifle is not the lightest, at around ~13lbs or so.

For price, I'm open to all suggestions so that I can get an understanding of the spectrum of options. However, given my current financial situation, a deal/bargain is always appreciated.

I've looked at options from Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, HPG and Stone Glacier, but looking for suggestions from the crowd. The Kifaru .22mag is currently on sale, so I'm certainly intrigued about that option.

357 mag, no frame needed. Osprey has solid options too.

Reactions: kthomas
Maybe nice to have a spot to carry the rifle? Not sure how many here carry the rifle on a sling or in a pack - open to suggestions. My hunting rifle is not the lightest, at around ~13lbs or so.

Highly recommend “on pack” rifle carry. I have the Kifaru gunbearer it’s no frills but gets the job done. Exo also makes one that looks like a quality piece.

Highly recommend “on pack” rifle carry. I have the Kifaru gunbearer it’s no frills but gets the job done. Exo also makes one that looks like a quality piece.
Love the exo one works well, very minimal design.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Mystery Ranch Coulee 40 has become my new favorite pack, it’s awesome.

To carry a rifle in a pack though you need a pretty significant frame system and the ability to keep the rifle strapped close to the frame unless the rifle is very light which 13lbs isn’t. If you want to rifle carry MR Overload is the shit but it’s a far heavier and larger pack. Personally I’d carry a pack for my gear and rifle slung.

Reactions: Fig and kthomas
I tried the exo mtn 4800 and the kifaru reckoning on @MNTC advise. Both are the most comfortable packs I have used to date.

The kifaru frame fits me a tad better under load. I like the flexibility of the kifaru frame better. If I'm going multiday or need to pack in a ton of crap I put the reckoning on the frame. 7.5 lbs iirm with no lid. Exo was like 6.8 iirm.

I use a Stryker xl when I need to go light

I've run a lot of packs over the years from the original Bozeman Dana's to Made in Canada Arcteryx Bora to Seek/Kifaru/SG/HPG/MR/Wilderness.

In terms of pure options for bag size and organization, Kifaru hands down in my book.

All the major players have bags available in the size you are after.

IMO, it boils down to fit and how modular you want.

Don't forget though, if you want an integrated pack (no meat shelf) versus a breakaway pack (with meat shelf).

In terms of rifle carry; on my Kifaru I run a medium pocket on the bottom middle of pack and strap it down. I hardly ever carry on the side of the pack.

The cost is what the cost is, by once cry once.

I have owned stone glacier, seek outside, mystery ranch, and went to kifaru’s store intending to buy one but the frame just didn’t fit my back and I found the mystery ranch more comfortably.

The seek outside I couldn’t get to stay on my hips with over around 30#s and there were just too many adjustments.

Stone glacier has been my favorite belt, couldn’t get that to slide off my hips but the xcurve frame would get my back cramping. This is my wife’s favorite pack.

And my current favorite is the newest generation mystery ranch, I have an older Pintler and a new bear tooth 80. The older frame doesn’t have need the padding as the newer one and it is a noticeable difference in comfort. Will probably pick up another Pintler in the new gen at some point.

The biggest take away is that all the major pack companies make excellent packs, but YOU have to find the one that fits you. Unfortunatly that takes time and money usually since most of these packs are not sold in stores. Exo has an excellent try it policy and will refund your money minus shipping, if you have a scheels local they carry mystery ranch and stone glacier. Remember to try the packs with weight, I like testing with 40-50#s. Empty most will feel good.

I use kuiu. Lots of add on/attachments for their bags, I have 2 different size bags that attach to and remove from the frame and suspension very easily. Not sure how soon you need it, or your budget, but they have sales multiple times throughout the year. I bought mine in pieces at different sales throughout the year. From what I've read online, with their latest suspension system, they beat everyone else in comfort once it comes to a loaded pack. I haven't had any extra weight other than my gear so I can't speak to that, but even at 60lbs of gear it sits very nicely on the hips and doesn't dig in anywhere.

I drank the kifaru Koolaid long ago, have strayed a few times, but have ended up back.

I know the frame is a lot but I prefer it to anything else I have used. Stiff enough to not be a pain when packing awkward loads, but not too stiff. Change bags when needed. Iv now got a 22mag for shooting and day stuff along with a fulcrum for everything else. Iv lost count of the animals the fulcrum/frame has packed out.

I have ventured away and bought a seek outside. Gotten to play with a few other US made top tier packs and am going to stick with the kifaru.

They just raised prices a boat load, it didn’t use to be as bad. I’ll also mention you don’t need a shit load of pockets if that’s factoring in on price.

If I were you Id spend my money on whatever US made pack tickles your fancy. A couple hundred dollars difference won’t be noticed down the road.

Appreciate all the replies!

I think I'm going to do Kifaru. Always have admired Kifaru packs, and I generally don't like to cheap out on gear that's important to me.

Now I need to drill it down to which specific model. The .357 Mag looks good, currently on sale. The Hellbender also looks like a great model for my needs.

As far as a frame - is this something that's considered necessary for deer day hunting trips? Is a frame something I can grow into/purchase at a later date? Or is it considered an essential I should require right away?

Appreciate all the replies!

I think I'm going to do Kifaru. Always have admired Kifaru packs, and I generally don't like to cheap out on gear that's important to me.

Now I need to drill it down to which specific model. The .357 Mag looks good, currently on sale. The Hellbender also looks like a great model for my needs.

As far as a frame - is this something that's considered necessary for deer day hunting trips? Is a frame something I can grow into/purchase at a later date? Or is it considered an essential I should require right away?
If you see yourself doing different stuff in the future I’d get the frame and appropriate sized pack.

Frame pros
- Swappable bags
- frame sheet makes for better load hauling and less crap poking you in the back
- Ability to pack out meat a few different ways.

-Cons are weight and price only.

Re the 357, if you’re hauling the meat out I’d reccomend the frame. As far as shooting goes, the frame and a small bag is nice because the frame provides shape and support to the bag, dosnt allow stuff like ammo boxes to cause discomfort, and it can support the weight of a rifle via gun bearer.

If you’re buying your one pack for the life of it, I think you would be foolish to pass up the frame.

Any other kifaru questions I’m happy to answer. I have had a good handful of them both frames and internal framed packs.

If you see yourself doing different stuff in the future I’d get the frame and appropriate sized pack.

Frame pros
- Swappable bags
- frame sheet makes for better load hauling and less crap poking you in the back
- Ability to pack out meat a few different ways.

-Cons are weight and price only.

Re the 357, if you’re hauling the meat out I’d reccomend the frame. As far as shooting goes, the frame and a small bag is nice because the frame provides shape and support to the bag, dosnt allow stuff like ammo boxes to cause discomfort, and it can support the weight of a rifle via gun bearer.

If you’re buying your one pack for the life of it, I think you would be foolish to pass up the frame.

Any other kifaru questions I’m happy to answer. I have had a good handful of them both frames and internal framed packs.

Appreciate the feedback!

What are your thoughts on the Hellbender pack?

Also, any best places to purchase Kifaru? Any upcoming sales I should keep an eye out for?

Appreciate the feedback!

What are your thoughts on the Hellbender pack?

Also, any best places to purchase Kifaru? Any upcoming sales I should keep an eye out for?
I don’t have any experience with the hellbender. I know it’s fairly new, I also know they just moved to Wyoming and lead times are a bit long right now. My small bag is a 22 mag and it’s been pretty awesome, although I just got it this year. I also have a 14r that Iv used in the 22mags place for years. but do prefer the frame/22mag for pretty much everything.

The good and bad about kifaru is they make a lot of bags, discontinue a lot of bags and tweak them to what people are asking. Chances are if you get a bag and don’t care for it, you can sell it and get something you want. This causes a lot of buy/sell and would be where I would recommend getting a bag and frame if not directly from kifaru, either forums or Facebook has a kifaru group where quite a bit of stuff is moved. They are a few generations in on the frame, that’s about the only thing I’d recommend buying new or from a trusted source used.

Sales are a wild card with them, they raised prices this year then had that moving sale, which appears to be a great deal but in reality it’s the price the stuff was a couple years ago. Black Friday is usually the only sale that’s been year to year.

As far as accessories go, for rifle carry the gun bearer is awesome. A small belt pouch is nice on the belt. Beyond that if you feel like you need more room I’d recommend upsizing the pack. Lots of guys get sucked into $500 and 2lbs of pockets they don’t need.

i'm going hellbender for a match pack AND 7day elk pack this year (and whatever else i can snag for leftover tags)

i use a kuiu pro 2300 now but want something a little different now that i'll be in CO and can hunt more

for hunting i'll use the load shelf to carry food/camp/tent/heavy stuff in either their Camp Bag or other duffle type bag i already have. unload that from the load shelf and use the hellbender during the day.

can add large/medium belt pouches and can always add a lid too

add a gunbearer

hoping i can drive up to WY and pick shit up in person

Sounds like I've got the same setup that @b6graham has, Hellbender + camp bag. I've only had the pack for a couple of months, been loading it up with around 40 lbs & doing training hikes once a week with it... I really like it a lot!

For the rifle, I've got the Gun Bearer (from Kifaru, not a second person)... I don't know, I just can't get excited about it yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the rifle has a tendency to kind of flop around so I'm not in love with it yet... Been kicking around the idea of trying to get the rifle back on the pack somewhere, just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

I bow hunt elk hunt with a Mystery Ranch that turns into a meat hauler (absolutely required in the back country). I use Bow Spiders, and they are game changers in terms of deploying your bow.

When I don't have to haul out the meat I hunt a the large Vorn pack. Unless you are going to carry your rifle the whole trip you just cannot beat how fast the rifle deploys from fully secured and packed to ready to go in your hands in a second or two. Also a game changer.

A meat shelf system is key to me.
Have carried dead critter parts out of the mtns several ways.
Including an old Dana Terraplane for elk quarters. Was really good for that, but not awesome for hunting day to day.

My Kifaru frame/bag system works awesome for 80-100 lbs (most I have carried with it)

Im kinda a pussy about it, but the pack carries fine! 🤣

I hunted with a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45L last year and used it for an NRL Hunter match this spring. It is a great daypack or overnight bag and there is always the option to buy an 80L Beartooth bag down the road if you like the frame and want to use it on a 3+ day backpacking trip.

My local Rocky Mountain Sports in WY carries Mystery Ranch so it was the only one I could go test fit in person.

I really like my Exo 4800. If I did it again I’d do like a lot of guys suggest and just get the 6400 in case I needed the extra space since both packs will compact down to the same size if you don’t have much in them. The Kifaru gun bearer is well loved for carrying rifles and I’m going to try one out. I have the Exo gun carrier for when I’m hiking, normally if I’m in a huntable area I have the rifle slung and ready.

Reactions: GMZ and kthomas
I really like my Exo 4800. If I did it again I’d do like a lot of guys suggest and just get the 6400 in case I needed the extra space since both packs will compact down to the same size if you don’t have much in them. The Kifaru gun bearer is well loved for carrying rifles and I’m going to try one out. I have the Exo gun carrier for when I’m hiking, normally if I’m in a huntable area I have the rifle slung and ready.

How do you like the Exo carrier? I’m going to give it a try on my Kifaru, for $20 I don’t think you can go wrong.

The gun bearer does fine for me but the Exo looks a bit more versatile. I have a Kifaru Timberline 2 and I’m pretty much limited to hip belt carry but I think I could get the Exo to work anywhere on the pack I can get the 2 straps. I think it would be better for balancing the pack weight to put it on center and tighter to the back if for nothing else than ingress/egress to the spot.

I was checking out a new shooting spot in the NF yesterday and google earth showed a clear road all the way there but the road was washed out 2miles and 1100 ft of gain below the spot and I definitely felt the imbalance even though I put my water bladder and shelter on the other side. Good training but still a failure to plan on my part.

I think the Kifaru does better when you need to access it quickly but I think you pay a slight price in balance, Exo might be the opposite.

How do you like the Exo carrier? I’m going to give it a try on my Kifaru, for $20 I don’t think you can go wrong.

The gun bearer does fine for me but the Exo looks a bit more versatile. I have a Kifaru Timberline 2 and I’m pretty much limited to hip belt carry but I think I could get the Exo to work anywhere on the pack I can get the 2 straps. I think it would be better for balancing the pack weight to put it on center and tighter to the back if for nothing else than ingress/egress to the spot.

I was checking out a new shooting spot in the NF yesterday and google earth showed a clear road all the way there but the road was washed out 2miles and 1100 ft of gain below the spot and I definitely felt the imbalance even though I put my water bladder and shelter on the other side. Good training but still a failure to plan on my part.

I think the Kifaru does better when you need to access it quickly but I think you pay a slight price in balance, Exo might be the opposite.
That was exactly my thinking, the Exo is good for positioning the gun around the pack, particularly at the back. It’s a good grippy material with plenty of adjustment for rifle stocks and for ride height. If you don’t need the gun rapidly accessible it’s a good option. Just secure the upper part of the gun with a cinch strap against the pack. I haven’t tried it in the field yet but I could grab pictures if they’d help.