• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x and Winchester 52 on CMP website

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
I just received an email from the CMP. The long awaited last batch of 40x rifles and barreled actions are now on sale at the CMP. Winchester 52 rifles are also being sold now. Hurry before they are sold. Just letting anyone interested know.

Gene

Re: 40x and Winchester 52 on CMP website

Heh, I think we were on the same train of thought, I posted a similar msg.
smile.gif

Onyx

I just sent mine in. Hopefully, I get one. There were very few available this go round. The 40X's were all standard barrel, but they were also USMC marked.

I was deciding between a 52D and a 40X barreled action as well. I went ahead and went with the barreled action. I might make my son a little present for his seventh birthday... in 3 years.

The $600 ones looked to be complete USMC marked ones.

The $400 USMC ones were just minus the stock and trigger guard, but other than that it was complete. All you need is a Remington 700 compatible stock and the stock screws / trigger guard. An AICS covers all that, and those would be minor parts for another stock.

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and to think that I ordered my 82G through them last week...</div></div>
You cant go wrong with that 82 purchase

Looking into this. Am I correct in saying that you have to be a member of a club to be able to purchase one of these? How many of these are available?

Yes. You need to be a member of an affiliated club to the cmp. You also need to prove citizenship, and some sort of firearms training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking into this. Am I correct in saying that you have to be a member of a club to be able to purchase one of these? How many of these are available?</div></div>

Here's the list of Texas affiliated clubs, if you are looking to support something local. A lot of guys join the Garand Collector Association, if you're looking for something Garand related. http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=TX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and to think that I ordered my 82G through them last week...</div></div>
</div></div>

+1 I'm loving mine so far!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and to think that I ordered my 82G through them last week...</div></div>
</div></div>

+1 I'm loving mine so far!!!!!

Sorry for the double post!!

So if only one could be had of the two (40x or the win 52) which would be the better grab guys?

There are 40X guys and there are 52D guys. I am a 40X guy, so that is what I sent in for. BTW, there are very few of these. If you don't have the paperwork together it may already be too late. I sent my order Fedex overnight yesterday.

LEO will also cover all the requirements. I was thinking about a 52 but the 2 40Xs I got from the last batch will have to do. There are supposed to be few complete rifles but plenty of barreled actions if you want to build.

How hard is it to get bolts for the 40x.

I see that have barreled actions without bolts or stocks.

From what I understand any Remington 700 stock would work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and to think that I ordered my 82G through them last week...</div></div>
</div></div>

+1 I'm loving mine so far!!!!! </div></div>

lol I am actually not upset or disappointed. What I think I did was just make my choice easier. If I had the options of the 40x or 52 last week, I would have just sat there wondering which one. Looking back and not having a choice, I'm pretty sure that I made the right decision. I've always wanted an 82G. Now if only it would get here...

Any chance that you are in the military? That'll do it for you too.[/quote}

Yes, active or retired Military and/or active or retired LE will cover you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any chance that you are in the military? That'll do it for you too.[/quote}

Yes, active or retired Military and/or active or retired LE will cover you
</div></div>

None of the above. If anyone has one for sale reasonably/fair priced let me know. Would even be interested in an action or action/barrel preferably with bolt.

I made a new trigger guard for the 82G to match my Seekins BDM.
I plan on getting one of these other two (40x, win 52) or even one form of them both and doing the same trigger gaurd!!
535e6a05.jpg

546c6246.jpg

I ordered a Kimber 82 "rusty" a couple of weeks ago. It will probably have some rust. But at least it's a whole rifle.

For the past month I've been gathering pieces and parts for the Anschutz #54 Match I bought locally. I should be ready in another week or so to do some test firing at the range and adjust the sights.

On mine the only rust was on the sites, I thought until I took the bolt apart today to try and get the rest of the cosmoline out.

It was just ever so slight surface rust cleaned up easy with my dremel wire wheel. Helped smooth up cycling a round as well!

They soot great, I know you'll enjoy it!

Fuck me.

I get busy at work/play and completely miss this thread. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see if they've still got some.

*I pray* they have some.

*SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADLY*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*I pray* they have some.</div></div>

When they are out, CMP removes them from the List.

They are still listed.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

I drove all the way to Camp Perry Saturday only to learn that they had NONE of these rimfires on hand.

What? Did they give an explanation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drove all the way to Camp Perry Saturday only to learn that they had NONE of these rimfires on hand.</div></div>

Yea.....he said they were not there........and he was the Valedictorian of the bunch. VERY PISSED.

"Winchester Model 52 series odd rifles. We have 140 odd rifles with a mixture of sporter and cut down stocks and other modifications. Each rifle is different. These will all be available for purchase only at the Camp Perry store beginning 11 JULY 2011."

'Reading Comprehension,Is it Important in Todays Society' or another good book 'Bitch Fest 2011-The Narcassistic Internet User'. Both well written and full of usefull imformation, especially when you think you know everything and have all the answers!
smile.gif

They are already selling out. The CMP www. has one item number of each the 52 and 40x listed as sold out as of today, 6/14/11. There are still a couple of item numbers listed though, so get your order in quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know how to check and see if you got your order placed in time?</div></div>

Go to this site:

https://estore.odcmp.com/Store/login/login.aspx

Register if you arn't registered already. Then click on your account. It will give you pending orders plus an order history.

If your order is pending, that means you are locked in for your buy.

It also shows the status of your order. They are a lot quicker now. Last Nov then got swamped but seem to be caught up, It took me 7 days on my last order, from the date the order was placed until Fed Ex paid me a visit.

damn, mailed my order in on the 10th but I think I missed them.

that sucks and they are darn hard to get on the phone.

thanks for the reply
dgwelsh

rustykimber82.jpg

After reading this forum for the past several weeks, finding a couple of 40x for sale that were a bit out of my price range I "settled" for this Kimber from the CMP. Rusty she ain't, though that's how they are listed on the site.

From licking the stamp, to opening day, 12 excruciating days and nights went by.

Nothing wrong with her with the exception of a razor knife scratch on the LH forend and butt, no, not by me. Nothing a bit of stain won't take care of though.

Now for glass......or not

If anybody were willing to get a USMC marked barreled action for me, transfer it to me, I would give a $100 for their troubles. I believe it way to late for me to attempt to register and get one.

Want to put in my return stock until the rest is done...
Just PM me.

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N.Allen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rustykimber82.jpg

After reading this forum for the past several weeks, finding a couple of 40x for sale that were a bit out of my price range I "settled" for this Kimber from the CMP. Rusty she ain't, though that's how they are listed on the site.

From licking the stamp, to opening day, 12 excruciating days and nights went by.

Nothing wrong with her with the exception of a razor knife scratch on the LH forend and butt, no, not by me. Nothing a bit of stain won't take care of though.

</div></div>

You can not go wrong with the Kimber! The only thig you did was "settle" for a good shooting 22 at a good price! Nice snatch!
DS

If your letter didn't get there by the Monday following the announcement on Friday, you didn't get a full 40X or 42D. As it is, I overnighted mine, and I probably still won't get one. But I believe the 40X barreled actions are still available. A barreled receiver plus a PTG bolt is still going to be cheaper than a Stiller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N.Allen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rustykimber82.jpg

</div></div>

You can not go wrong with the Kimber! The only thig you did was "settle" for a good shooting 22 at a good price! Nice snatch!
DS
</div></div>

You are correct Darkstar!
Hopefully get some range time this week with it to find what she likes.

Got the cosmolene scrubbed off this afternoon, not quite as bad as some of the Mosins I've cleaned up!
One thing I did not take apart was the bolt, not quite sure how it comes apart. Looks like after decocking it, removing the camming button, which is actually an internal hex bolt, not sure the nomenclature, the guts would slide out. Google time maybe.

Anybody know what kind of finish Kimber use's? I'm kinda hesitant on trying what I have on the shelf to cover/blend in the scratches on the stock and forend. May have to contact Kimber and see if they can tell me what they use at the time.

My uncle said something about sweating the stock with an iron and a wet cloth?

I wasn't really paying attention while I was admiring the rifle!!

I'll check back with him!

It's not so much the cos in the wood but the scratch done by the razor knife that I need to take care of. It's not bad but I don't want to use a stain or oil that would leave a dark stripe on the stock.

dsc05171yt.jpg

Thanks DFOOSKING I'll look him up!

When I cracked open the shipping carton and saw the fiberglass tape across the original box I thought "AW DAMN I've heard about marks on the wood because of opening the box and "inspecting" the rifle". Sure as HELL........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great way to get cosmoline out of wood stocks I was told was to place said stock in a black garbage bag and leave on your dash of your car in the summer sun. The heat pushes out the cosmoline and the garbage bag contains the mess...may take a few days.
</div></div>

I used this method, and it worked ok. I also used kitty litter in the bag to soak up the slick mess. On weekends, you can leave the stock in direct sunlight to speed up the weeping process. Just wipe it up with some mineral spirits as the slick surfaces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great way to get cosmoline out of wood stocks I was told was to place said stock in a black garbage bag and leave on your dash of your car in the summer sun. The heat pushes out the cosmoline and the garbage bag contains the mess...may take a few days.
</div></div>

I used this method, and it worked ok. I also used kitty litter in the bag to soak up the slick mess. On weekends, you can leave the stock in direct sunlight to speed up the weeping process. Just wipe it up with some mineral spirits as the slick surfaces.</div></div>

Hanging in the sun and wipe with mineral spirits works best for me. If you put it in a bag it still contacts the stock unless you get into some suspension antics keeping the bag from from touching the stock. In a bag in your car? Sure, why not, as long as you dont mind the smell that will linger??

Got a couople Garands that on hot days still weep dark oil out of the wood. This Kimber isn't nearly that bad.