• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x at 400 yds

JRucker2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Oregon
So I decided what the hell, let's see what this thing does at 400 yds.

It's nice being able to shoot from your back yard.
cool.gif

Don't know if you can see them, but there's a 14" steel at 300 yds, just beyond the fence, and another at 400 yds, with a cardboard box beside it. The grass was too tall to see the targets from prone, so I had to lean up against the fence, which wasn't nearly as stable. Both my dad and I were able to hit the steel at 400 about 85% of the time though, which I was pretty happy with.

img_0238.jpg

looking back at the house.

img_0242.jpg

The angle at which the bullet comes in is a little shallower than I thought it would be. Works out to about 21 mils of elevation at 400 yds with lapua sk.
img_0240.jpg

Re: 40x at 400 yds

Rifle is a rem 40x built up from a barreled action acquired from CMP. B&C light tactical stock, BSA mil-mil FFP 4-14x scope.

IMG_0135.JPG

Had the barrel chopped a few inches and threaded, and that's a bowers 9mm subgun suppressor. (kinda looks like a .30 cal suppressor though, lol.)

IMG_0211.JPG

That's so sexy. I wish I had the $$ to build one of those

How's that BSA scope? Recoil should be no problem, but tracking, return to zero etc

Oh and how much those go for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">were you able to dial all 21 mils of elevation or did you incorporate some hold overs......</div></div>
I started out putting a 30moa rail on that rifle, so I would be able to dial way the hell out there if I needed to. As it turns out, that scope has an eccentric reticle, so I couldn't zero it at 100 yds. I had a flat rail lying around, so I threw that on it, and it's been working pretty well. At 400 yds, I have to hold 3.5 mils over after dialing all the way up. Not ideal, but I don't know how much I'll actually end up shooting at 400 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised the angle was not more like a 45deg down slope</div></div>
That was my first thought, but after some time thinking about it, it actually makes sense. On something like .308, you've got a muzzle velocity aroun 2700fps, and even with a bullet that has a good BC, it's losing a lot of velocity out around 1k yds, beyond that and you're going transonic and losing velocity even faster. That means the bullet is dropping at a steeper angle at those distances. Since the .22 is subsonic when it leaves the barrel, it has a pretty good BC, and doesn't run into the transonic barrier, so it maintains a pretty good velocity, even to 400 yds. This means it follows a curve that looks a lot more parabolic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's that BSA scope? Recoil should be no problem, but tracking, return to zero etc

Oh and how much those go for?</div></div>
I haven't run any tracking tests yet, but I shot at some steel at distances of 75, 100, 125, and 150 yds. After recording my dope, I was able to dial in the same dope and hit the targets reliably. I think for .22, it'll work well. These are going for $250 on midway right now. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=456482

Very nice. Last weekend I also shot my 40x at 400 (well actually my LRF said it was 388, corrected for the incline). Was also very pleased with the hit ratio.

I held 13 MOA for wind and dialed 73.5 MOA from my 50 yd zero shooting Laupa Center-X.

Very Fun!!

Bang.........................................................PING!!

Regards,
DT

Damn now I'm hooked.

I will be doing this very thing this week end with my .22 and will try it with my 17HMR but it will be interesting as the little bullet passes trans to sub sonic at 300yrds.

w/ the .22, JBM is calling for 21.8 mils to 400 so we'll see how it goes

I'll be shooting at a 12x12" plate

full report on the 5th.

kt

Would this be easier accomplished with a .17hmr?

I'm not too sure of the capabilities of both calibers so..l

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does that larger suppressor work on the 22?

Regards,
DT</div></div>
Shot it next to a friends rifle with a yhm mite, and they're both damn quiet, the sound was different, but I don't know if it was any quieter.

Great job and it sound like a blast out to 400.

How far will it go???

I also wish I had a place to shoot in my back yard. I am afraid if I had that so easily accessible, my wife would go ahead and just run me off.

Good Shooting

Nics setup JR! I wish that I had a range like that in may backyard. Even the local gun club that I am a member of maxes out at 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRucker2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does that larger suppressor work on the 22?

Regards,
DT</div></div>
Shot it next to a friends rifle with a yhm mite, and they're both damn quiet, the sound was different, but I don't know if it was any quieter. </div></div>

Yea, guess the larger volume compensates for the larger exit hole.

What kind of POI shift do you get with that thing?
Did threading the barrel mess with the accuracy any?

I want to thread my barrel, but the dang thing shots so well, I dont want to mess with it.

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, guess the larger volume compensates for the larger exit hole.

What kind of POI shift do you get with that thing?
Did threading the barrel mess with the accuracy any?

I want to thread my barrel, but the dang thing shots so well, I dont want to mess with it.

Regards,
DT</div></div>
I actually haven't shot any groups yet to compare with/without the suppressor, I'd like to soon though.

As dfooksing said, if your gunsmith is competent, you shouldn't have any problems. The crown is very important if you're going to have the barrel cut down.