• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x delema

nesikabay

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2006
Nocona Texas
I am a 40xb junkie I have a lot of them 22 right now. I have the urge for a custom 40xb. But I cant bring myself to strip and rebuild a perfectly good 40xb. So I have thought about trading a complete rifle for a 40xb action. am I crazy and do you have a 40xb action laying around

No, your not crazy... I have the same issues when it comes to tearing down a fine classic rifle to build something else. I always try to find one that a previous owner has already modified or neglected so I feel like I'm giving the rifle a second chance.
This is my 40X .22lr...my favorite rifle ; )
DSC02502.JPG

Reactions: ltfirehunter
As usual, the answer is...it depends. From personal experience, I have 2 40Xs that I "originally" purchased to send off to Jonathon Elrod to convert customize with a match grade barrel and allow for putting into a stock with a DBM for magazine feeding. My plans changed once I got the rifles in hand. While not in "new" condition, they were both in very good condition and one is stamped "USMC" of which there were only 2800 rifles, approximately, that were marked as such. Being an old Jarhead, I could not bring myself to modify a piece of history. This said, if either of these rifles were in poor condition, I wouldn't think twice about sending them off to Jonathon; they'd be in his hands as we speak.

Best of luck in finding what your looking for, either way you go...

Reactions: deltawiskey
I had two 40XBs & one 40X from the CMP originally. A good friend talked me out of one of the XBs, and it went to a good home, as he's bought some period correct iron sights for it, and intends to keep it in original condition. Of the two I had left, the 40X was by far the roughest of the two, so I sent it off to Jonathan for the repeater conversion, and put a Benchmark 3-groove bbl on it when I got it back. It's a slick action, feeding & extracting/ejecting pretty much flawlessly. I put it in a skim bedded B&C #2015 stock with PTG Stealth DBM, added a Jewell HVR trigger, EGW 20 MOA scope rail, Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scope, and threaded the muzzle of the Benchmark for a SWR Spectre II suppressor. Aside from the fact that I'd ordered the BM bbl in Rem sendero contour to finish at 26", it's all I'd hoped it'd be - very accurate, tons of fun to shoot, and a great way to get a lot of trigger time without worrying about shooting the bbl out. Just wish I'd had the sense to go with a finish length of no more than 22" on the bbl blank, as it's way heavier & a little awkward to maneuver around a barricade with the 26" bbl, especially with the extra 6" of length with the can mounted.

Against my better judgement, after having enjoyed the 40X repeater enormously, I sent the remaining 40XB off to Jonathan, and went pretty much the same route with it, only putting it into a spare Manners T4A mini chassis stock, and putting a 22" Krieger on it, which makes the longer bbl'd 40X seem even heavier & more clumsy in comparison. If I hadn't converted these two rifles, they'd be gathering dust in the closet, as I've got a nice 2011 Anschutz for prone smallbore & practice. As it is, since I've gotten these two 40Xs finished, they've been being shot far more often than the 2011, and I really don't have any regrets.

The photo shows the 40X, 40XB, and a V-22 I built after the actions became available.

Attachments

• DSC_1175.JPG
    DSC_1175.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: deltawiskey