• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x differences

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
I finally got around to putting my barreled action together that I purchased from the CMP. It is an early standard barrel model.

I was installing the trigger and noticed there is no relief cut in the receiver for the spring that holds up the bolt stop.

Does anyone have pictures of the design of the older style actions or can tell me how they did it back then.

Thanks

Re: 40x differences

The 40-X rimfire action uses a small coil spring that sets in a pocket in the machined area the bolt stop sets in. Don't have a pic handy but it uses similar or same spring (saying this because I would assume diameter/length is same but cannot verify) as the 721/722's and the 600/660 and XP's do. Look about 3:00 from the pin and you will see the hole drilled in receiver. Spring is about .350 in length. HTH

Edited to verify hole in receiver @ 3:00 and not 2 like previously posted. My bad!!!

How did I know that SDWhirlwind would have the answer...he's the 40X man!

RAD, send it my way, I'll get the Dremel warmed up and make that relief cut for you lickety split.

SDW, thanks. Hard to see that hole with the bolt stop in the way.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RAD, send it my way, I'll get the Dremel warmed up and make that relief cut for you lickety split. </div></div>

I appreciate the offer.

Not that I doubt your dremel skillz, but I think I'll pass.
grin.gif

Yer welcome. Actually went and pulled the stock off one after I posted to verify and see if my cheap assed camera could get a close up. Didn't work, I tain't no digital photo man, especially with a semi cheap camera. Hole is actually @ 3:00 from pin for future reference
smile.gif

After reading this I went out and looked and there it was plain as day. No photo necessary.

Do you happen to have any springs?

No I don't have any extras. The one came in my barreled action I just about have finished and it has a small kink but still works. IIRC Wendall @ Out Back Gun Parts had one or the other but I am getting older and more forgetfull so don't remember which. You could give him a call tomorrow after 10:00AM CST and see what he has....#1-812-945-0480

Could call Remington and get lucky with someone who knows to see if they have anything in inventory. If your as lucky as I have been you will get the don't give a shit lazy guy that always says "NO, don't have that anymore". Found out they sold alot of their parts inventory to Wendall and let him deal with CS. Guess it was toooooo much trouble for the white collar crew!!

If I had a buck for everytime I have typed his number since the 40-X's were shipped from CMP I wouldn't be as poor
smile.gif

Thanks for the number. I'll definitely give him a call.

I must have gotten lucky when I called Remington for the other parts I needed. They had everything but the screw for the piece in the bottom.

Thanks for the help.

I know Wendall had the screws for the ejector/bolt guide/load ramp as I got some from him. Gent in Remington CS told me "we don't have ANY parts for the rimfires". Told me to call Ahlman's and gave me a number. They didn't know why Rem would point to them as they NEVER have had any rimfire 40-X/XB parts????

Later several people got the filler pieces etc. Think they were smarter than I and asked up front for 'parts' and NOT 'cusomter service'? They must move the real incompetent to CS
smile.gif

Wendall initially sent me a bolt stop for a 600/660/XP for some reason thinking that was for the early 40-X. He didn't have any spares for the 40-XB so I drew a pic and sent to him. He then found one in his stash and verified the earlier 40-X was same by tearing down one of his own personal guns. He had a manufacturer he uses then make 200 bolt stops for him. He goes out of his way to accomadate us gun guys.

I picked the screw up from Numrich before they ran out.

I cut down a 700 bolt stop I had and thought I could use the spring when all this started. I thought I had it going my way.

Wendall sounds like a heck of a guy. I'm glad to hear guys like that are still around. I look forward to talking with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wendall initially sent me a bolt stop for a 600/660/XP for some reason thinking that was for the early 40-X. He didn't have any spares for the 40-XB so I drew a pic and sent to him. He then found one in his stash and verified the earlier 40-X was the same by tearing down one of his own personal guns. He had a manufacturer he uses then make 200 bolt stops for him. He goes out of his way to accommodate us gun guys.</div></div>

Good to hear!