• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 40X, new stock, and kids... help?

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
I've got one of the CMP 40X's on the way that I'd like to make into a target rifle for the kids (8 & 10). Although I ordered the one w/ the "youth" stock, I'm assuming it will still be too big. I realize the rifle will probably weigh as much as the kids, but they'll be shooting off of a bench w/ bags using irons...

Currently I'm thinking of replacing the supplied stock with a laminate that I can cut down to size and finish for them, leaving something 1/2 way decent looking. So, a few questions:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]What to look for in a stock? I've tried searching on "youth stocks for 40X target rifles" and come up empty handed... [*]Will a 700 SA stock work? [*]How do I measure the kids for LOP to get close? [*]What else should I measure them for? [*]Who are some of the vendors/sources you've used for laminated stocks before? Links please? [*]What kind of inletting/fitting should I plan on doing, and what tools will be required? [*]Will I need to bed the action in order for it to shoot well?[/list]
I'm not worried about being stuck with a rifle in a stock that's too short in a few years as they grow up -- there's more young-in's behind them. I'm hoping this isn't a hugely expensive endeavor, else I'll just hack down the delivered stock to "make it fit". If this is a crazy idea, please let me know why you think that...

Thanks in advance,
-Slice

Re: 40X, new stock, and kids... help?

not sure on all your questions, but for the LOP have your kids hold their arm up and make a 90 degree angle and measure from the tip of the trigger finger to the crease of their elbow, then take the average of the 2 and make it @ that length. I believe that the 40x will fit in a 700 SA stock as well

I have a Rem 521T with a very nice youth stock and Lyman peep sights. I'll trade you straight up for the 40X when it comes in
wink.gif

I would try to find yourself a take-off 40X and cut down the lesser quality of the two. Especially if you can locate a nice full size stock that hasn't been screwed up or abused. This way when the young'uns are all growed up you have a rifle that still properly fits.

Pass the hacked up stock along on the "Pay it forward" idea to someone else with little guys.

Save the wooden stock for them, in a few years when they hit a growing spurt.

Get the cheapest synthetic stock you can find to cut down for them. Caution. Before you start cutting on the buttstock, check around for NON-EXPANDING filler foam. On the few I've had to cut more than an inch, I've had to fill in hollow spots. Get the stuff like Great-stuff BUT IT DOESN'T EXPAND. Great stuff will either pop a section of stock out or give it severe cracks. (Don't ask how I know this.) The industrial supplier where I used to order HILTI concrete drills and saws carried a type that doesn't expand made by HILTI. It's used to seal penetrations in fire walls.

Good luck with your work. I hope the kids enjoy it.