• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40X not extracting

jimrosasco

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2006
Allentown PA
So got 2 40xs on cmp one for me and another for friend took them out today and one was not extracting spent brass. Brass seamed very tight in chamber. Did not have a cleaning rod with me but was able get brass pryed out with screw driver. Did not extract 3 out of 4 rounds. I did try other bolt and it was not able to extract the brass either. Only tried to extrat spent case did not shoot it with other bolt. (I was worried about headspace) Any thoughts or sugestions. Was shooting ely match

Re: 40X not extracting

Check at the top of the chamber for a firing pin ding,, pushing metal into the chamber.
If not that, clean the chamber,, you did clean the chamber?
Match ammo has a lube on the bullet that gets some left in the end of the chamber.

With both bolts?
I'd still look to see if the chamber was dirty.

cleaned chamber, could not find any visable ding, same result I also suspect minor chamber issue. It is on the way to smith for little TLC I will post results

My bore was pretty crusty as was the chamber.

I polished the chamber with JB bore paste and a tight patched brush and the extraction went from 10% to 95%. I'll polish it next with a split dowel and some 0000 steel wool.

9H, yea in hind sight I maybe could have spent more time polishing, but figured let a expert look @ it first, I have heard so much stuff about how crtical chambers can be in .22 I did not want mess anything up.