• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x rimfire repeater conversion

SSLIGH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
Newberry, SC
I remember seeing a conversion for the remington 40x single shot to a repeater. Am I dreaming or is there someone doing this? I just bought one from the CMP program and I'm interested in converting it if this is possible.
Thanks

Re: 40x rimfire repeater conversion

An older, experienced rifleman of my acquaintance bought a 40 repeater sporter from the Custom Shop.
After a couple of trips back for poor cycling, he sold it, having determined that if Remington couldn't make it work, nobody could.

I'd love one if it worked.

I think the older, original 40X sporters (repeaters) are highly prized collector's items...

-Slice

surely it can work. how did winchester, sako, CZ, savage and everyone else figure it out? My buddy has an old old winchester 52 that cycles just fine. For 300 bucks at a G&K show, I am pretty envious of how well it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeSlice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the older, original 40X sporters (repeaters) are highly prized collector's items...

-Slice </div></div>
They are, which is why you see mint condition, original 40X .22 Repeaters listed and sold for close to $5,000.00 on Gunsamerica:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">REMINGTON 40X SPORTER REPEATER</span> 22</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">AVAILABLE</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Remington 40X Sporter</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold">SOLD</span>

Both Paul Crosnoe and Steve Barnett have had some really nice rifles I wanted to buy over the years. Even if I could pony up the money, it would be a crime to take a collector-quality 40X .22 Repeater and ruin it by converting it into a "tactical trainer".

Keith

I actually did this in the mid 70's and did the conversion using a BDL stock.
Access to the magazine was by dropping the floor plate. Everything was concealed in the mag well. Did it work well ? In a word the magazine feed was
the biggest PITA that I had encountered. After some effort a Marlin magazine worked. It is worth the effort ? Not for me at least. I have a tweaked CZ 452 that
shoots as good as my 1413 and both are scoped.

My advise is leave it alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An older, experienced rifleman of my acquaintance bought a 40 repeater sporter from the Custom Shop.
After a couple of trips back for poor cycling, he sold it, having determined that if Remington couldn't make it work, nobody could.

I'd love one if it worked. </div></div>
Over the years I've read and also heard that the 40X .22 LR Sporter (Repeater) had feeding problems. I've never been fortunate enough to have owned one so I don't know firsthand. If the 40X .22 LR Sporters did have feeding issues, that could be part of the reason why Remington reportedly made less than 700 of them, and why they haven't re-introduced a 40X .22 LR Sporter/Repeater.

It has been mentioned that there are other bolt action .22 repeaters that function reliably. However, as far as I know all the popular ones are miniturized actions, not full-size actions. I wonder if Remington worries about the market for a full-size .22 LR repeater, as any product is a potential flop.

I do know that if Remington offered a .22 LR M700/40X Repeater I would buy it in a heartbeat for a "mini X-Ray" build. I've got mint Kimber of Oregon .22 LR repeaters, but I only shoot one so I can keep the condition of the others at the Collector-level.

I could shoot my mini X-Ray all day and never have to worry about scratching the bluing or the Claro stocks of my Kimbers. I already have a "spare" PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR waiting for it!

Keith

I emailed CDI Precision and got the following response

"Im working on it after Christmas,, Hang tite Ill get it done shortly..:)"