• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x trainer done!

SSSamurai

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Snohomish, Wa.
I just got my barreled action back from being cut and threaded, it was all I could do to stop and take pictures before I put it all together! Should have some completed pictures later tonight or tomorrow.
IMG00394-20110502-1906.jpg

IMG00393-20110502-1906.jpg

Re: Almost there... 40x trainer

I forgot to grab the bolt for the picture, I was in a hurry to get to work! The scope is an IOR 2.5-10X42 FFP, I should have it mounted up here shortly.
IMG00396-20110502-2033.jpg

IMG00395-20110502-2033.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't great, I'm just using my phone

That is quite the work of art there. I like that the suppressor is the same diameter as the barrel. It really looks swell. Have fun shooting it!!!

Interested to see how it shoots. I have heard the 40XB barrels had a choke point near the muzzle and when they were cut, accuracy went way off. Looking forward to your range report.

The suppressor is a Gemtech Vortex .22lr, from a long time ago. I went out in the backyard today for a few, just to get it on paper. 30m to the target, and I had to turn the mag down all the way so I could see it clearly. I've considered other scopes, with adjustable parallax, but I wanted to try this out first. I'll wait to decide until I push it out to at least 50m.
IMG00407-20110503-1509.jpg

IMG00404-20110503-1508.jpg

Sighter and target on the left are Remington Subsonic, right target is Wolf Match. This one reason I love mil/mil, I shot a sighter round and dialed right into the bull.
IMG00411-20110503-1517.jpg

Wow great pictures! Sure looks like it shoots good. Time to stretch out its legs if ya can.

Also.. I dig the duct tape. Nice stick

So far, so good... waiting to see the 50 and 100 yard results.

Is that an HS stock? I'm not firmiliar with the 40x does it except any 700 stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an HS stock? I'm not firmiliar with the 40x does it except any 700 stock? </div></div>

Judging from the pictures it should be the <span style="font-weight: bold">H-S Precision PST-006</span> which is the short action version of the long action M24A1 stock which is the PST-011 stock.

Hope that helps,

Gene

Gene, wasn't yours cut down as well?

Dantrom... the 40XB will accept any 700 stock. The 40X is built on the 722 receiver style.

When you told me that you made your integral suppressed .22 identical to an M24, I almost didn't believe you. I guess now that I see the pictures I will be eating crow next weekend. You should bring it with and see if we can get away with shooting it behind the B's.

"Integral suppressed?" Did I miss something? I see a thread protector and then a suppressor on the end of the barrel

No, it's not integral, it's a thread on. And yes, gszeto is correct on the stock it's the HS adjustable for a short action. And for those that don't know, the taped on cheekpiece is intentional, that's what you have to do with an M24.

What did you have the barrel cut down to?
was it originally 28"

I goin to cut mine down as well, and since I am making a m40a1 clone, I cant decide if I want to make it 24 from the recoil lug, or screw it and make it 18"...

Any new reports on accuracy at longer ranges?

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gene, wasn't yours cut down as well?

Dantrom... the 40XB will accept any 700 stock. The 40X is built on the 722 receiver style. </div></div>

Yes, mine was cut and recrowned at 20" from lug to muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you have the barrel cut down to?
was it originally 28"

I goin to cut mine down as well, and since I am making a m40a1 clone, I cant decide if I want to make it 24 from the recoil lug, or screw it and make it 18"...

Any new reports on accuracy at longer ranges?

Regards,
DT </div></div>

If your 40x accuracy is just mediocre then by all means cut it. But if it is a "laser", "hummer", or whatever you want to call it then I would advise not to cut it. Mine at 28" was a laser, shooting in the 1s and even in the 0s at 50m (mostly in the 1s). I had it cut and recrowned and never got that back. I found out later that the 40x has a choke at the end of the 28" barrel which of course was cut off when I had it cut to 20". I am thinking of reintroducing the choke at the end of the 20" barrel but first I need to get a lathe to do it since it will take some trial and error to get it right.

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If your 40x accuracy is just mediocre then by all means cut it. But if it is a "laser", "hummer", or whatever you want to call it then I would advise not to cut it. Mine at 28" was a laser, shooting in the 1s and even in the 0s at 50m (mostly in the 1s). I had it cut and recrowned and never got that back.

Gene </div></div>

Whats it shooting now? drastically worse? or still sub .5 at 50?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am thinking of reintroducing the choke at the end of the 20" barrel but first I need to get a lathe to do it since it will take some trial and error to get it right.

Gene </div></div>

How do you go about doing that? lathes are good for removing material, not sure how you would re-implement the choke?

I am this close to cutting down my new 40x to 18" or so, but guess I better get it stocked up and shoot it first.
Thanks,
DT

^^ Re-barrel it and keep the old barrel... that is my plan eventually - just got sidetracked building out a 3-gun AR platform. LOL!

I really dig the M24 stocks.

The one in front in the black AICS is a Remington 40-X HB in 22LR. The bolt is a factory 40-X bolt, but will be replaced by the PT&G bolt that should arrive next week.

Both Remington's are waiting for some SWFA SS 5-20X50HD scopes to arrive as well.

IMG_2458-1280.jpg

IMG_2459-1280.jpg

IMG_2460-1280.jpg

IMG_2461-1280.jpg