• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40X Transformation... RANGE REPORT! PICS!

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
Well, I just finished the transformation of my 40X. The first picture is how it looked when I got it. The second is how it looks now. Quite a difference!

The scope is CRAP but I'm saving for a "Real" scope. Should only take another year or two...
ehhg6o.jpg
2m4c0ih.jpg

I used a Whidden Aluminum Bedding Block in a McMillan A5 I purchased from John at JW Precision. Bought the "standard BDL" Bottom Metal from Midway. Hope to try her out in the next week or two. Thanks for lookin'

John

Range report is on the second page of this post......

Re: 40X Transformation...

Sure... The A5 comes without bedding or pillars so I would need to bed it anyway. I chose the Block for two reasons...
First: It doesn't require me to be skilled at bedding. I am definitely NOT. All of the mess is nicely hidden under the action and if you do it right, the barrel naturally "free-floats". It's not extremely ugly but not pretty enough to be seen.
Second: It allows me to put a different barreled action in the stock if I choose. Granted, you can get away with that with bedding also but it's not recommended. We'll see how it shoots but everything appears by the numbers. I think it will do fine.

Sure, I think you will be fine. I have a Chandler Long Range Precision rifle with the A5. I always thought they had the aluminum skeleton.

Putting a bedding block in an A5,is just about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard of.

Though I'm sure someone will now try to top it.

Take the best stock on the fucking Planet,grind a huge fucking hole in it's uncompromising inlet and glue a fucking shoehorn into the middle of it,under the guise of an "upgrade"?!!?

Sounds as fucking stupid as it is.

Perhaps put an "IQ Wanted" ad in the classifieds,so you can process the obvious,after the upgrade.

That was a ruthless barb,which also flies over your head.

Am I using words that are too large?

I really wonder why you think the MCM A-5 is the "greatest stock in the world". have you ever worked with one? Let me guess you would be one of those guys who buys one with the factory inlet and just drop you barreled action right into it, bedding is just a fad anyways right.

Hey next time you post a picture of one of your rifles that you put a lot of time and money into, why dont you send me a pm so that way i know to check it out and say how fucking stupid it was for you to do what you wanted to do on a rifle for your shooting preferences.

Also befor you go bashing other peoples work fill out your damn profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wonder why you think the MCM A-5 is the "greatest stock in the world". have you ever worked with one? Let me guess you would be one of those guys who buys one with the factory inlet and just drop you barreled action right into it, bedding is just a fad anyways right.

Hey next time you post a picture of one of your rifles that you put a lot of time and money into, why dont you send me a pm so that way i know to check it out and say how fucking stupid it was for you to do what you wanted to do on a rifle for your shooting preferences.

Also befor you go bashing other peoples work fill out your damn profile. </div></div>

While I've seen pictures of the A5 and heard about them,I've not shot one.

What is bedding?

I think bedding is that stuff that keeps you warm at night while you sleep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First: It doesn't require me to be skilled at bedding. </div></div> So you re-inlett a stock and go that route. You must have some mad dremel Fu if inletting a stock is easier than bedding it.

wow that was a lot of crap from someone with even less posts than myself,,,I think the rifle looks great,,,whether you compromised the strength of the stock or not???? But as long as your happy with how it looks and it shoots great then thats all that matters. And if in some time the stock goes to shit,,,then lesson learned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that was a lot of crap from someone with even less posts than myself,,,I think the rifle looks great,,,whether you compromised the strength of the stock or not???? But as long as your happy with how it looks and it shoots great then thats all that matters. And if in some time the stock goes to shit,,,then lesson learned. </div></div>

busheler

As an aside,here's a picture I saw. They look pretty good to me.

Thoughts?

StandardFare.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODYSHERE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an aside,here's a picture I saw. They look pretty good to me.

Thoughts?

StandardFare.jpg
</div></div>

Those Savages?

I'm saving up for a Savage,but my luust is powerful. A guy can learn alot by a picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODYSHERE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm saving up for a Savage,but my luust is powerful. A guy can learn alot by a picture. </div></div>

You need a good pair of Steiner Binos to go with those Savages
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODYSHERE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm saving up for a Savage,but my luust is powerful. A guy can learn alot by a picture. </div></div>

You need a good pair of Steiner Binos to go with those Savages
wink.gif
</div></div>

Dont be mean.... LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the best stock on the fucking Planet,grind a huge fucking hole in it's uncompromising inlet and glue a fucking shoehorn into the middle of it,under the guise of an "upgrade"?!!?

Sounds as fucking stupid as it is. </div></div>

I take it that this is in your "humble" opinion. I'm sure that there are many here on the hide that would disagree with your statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting a bedding block in an A5,is just about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard of.

Though I'm sure someone will now try to top it. </div></div>

Tell that to Manners Stocks. Their mini chassis system has proved to be a great upgrade to a stock. You might want to let HS precision know that their design is "fucking stupid" as well. But I'm sure you already know this.

If you would like to crap on somebody's thread for no good reason I would invite you to take it someplace elsewhere. This guy is obviously proud of the hard work, time and money that he has put into his rifle.

Great job, oneshot, keep up the good work and I hope it pays off.

For those who can't savvy the crux, here's the main road you missed ... The reason for bedding is because you CAN'T get your CNC machined action to mate perfectly with the CNC machined inletting of your stock, period. CNC machining doesn't work any better on aluminum, metal, or fiberglass, so think about that.

The reason you bed with steel impregnated epoxy is because it will "fill the gaps" between the bbl'd action and stock inlet ...

So, adding weight, compromising the integrity of one of (if not THE) best stock on the market, is NOT the way to transform your rifle unless you're looking to decrease it's worth in just about every way.

The stupidity of so many never ceases to amaze me ...

so instead of replacing the scope, you just got a different style stock of the same quality?

and for the record, glass bedding is not messy or difficult, if you follow the directions. and nobody seems to be complaining that the countless pillar bedded mcmillan stocks are lacking anything that a HS precision style bedding block would improve upon.

hope your results meet/exceed your standards.

WGN-

I guess I'll think about that but I already know that all of what you have to say is not true. CNC machine are much more accurate than you may believe. I don't know your experience with CNC machinery but it happens to be my profession. These machines are capable of making a chassis system, bedding block, etc and action to match each other to tolerances exceeding .0002 of an inch. How do I know this? Because I make them do it every day. I have customers that can manufacture aerospace bushings to half of that.
After a stock is bedded with an anti-adhesive sprayed <span style="text-decoration: underline">between</span> the barreled action and due to the fact that bedding compound relies on a chemical reaction to harden and cures over time. I highly doubt that bedding can be as accurate as a CNC machine <span style="text-decoration: underline">could</span> make a action and chassis.
Now.....I'm not saying that all actions and chassis systems have this kind of accuracy but it is definitely something that can be done. Maybe you should not be so definite in you statements. And like you said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WGM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of so many never ceases to amaze me ... </div></div>

Also, oneshot was working with his abilities. He did not know how to bed a stock and wanted to do this project himself. Can't someone just be happy for another for once?

Well... Step away for a few hours and look what happens! To address the WGM post, the Whidden block has a "V" shape to it, so the receiver doesn't even try to touch everywhere. It actually rides on (for lack of a better term) rails. The center of the receiver is floating. Seems to me this might be even better than full bedding. I really won't know until I shoot it. As far as structural integrity, I don't see how it's compromised. The whole block is JB Welded in place.

Thanks to all who had positive comments. I really appreciate it. The negative comments don't bother me. I figure... Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. The proof will be in how it shoots.

Thanks to EVERYONE who took the time to look at her!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so instead of replacing the scope, you just got a different style stock of the same quality?

and for the record, glass bedding is not messy or difficult, if you follow the directions. and nobody seems to be complaining that the countless pillar bedded mcmillan stocks are lacking anything that a HS precision style bedding block would improve upon.

hope your results meet/exceed your standards. </div></div>
The scope quality I want will cost around $2000. The stock was less than $800 and selling the original stock paid for most of that. Thank you for the encouragement at the end of your post!

^ That picture...and the fact that NOBODY is back on the hide makes me smile...real big. Welcome back!

Josh

So here is one of mine, never tried one of them there fancy handles, just a brown precision blank I finished myself with wrinkle paint and bedded myself.
25/06 and is real accurate, I think bedding is the only way.
Of course Dangerfirst or nobodyhere might figure us Canucks have no clue?
cry.gif

DCP_1243.jpg

I want to know where the chainsaw is in the picture?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODYSHERE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an aside,here's a picture I saw. They look pretty good to me.

Thoughts?

StandardFare.jpg
</div></div>

Nice rifle man, Ill be waiting for the range report!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so instead of replacing the scope, you just got a different style stock of the same quality?

hope your results meet/exceed your standards. </div></div>
The scope quality I want will cost around $2000. The stock was less than $800 and selling the original stock paid for most of that. Thank you for the encouragement at the end of your post!
</div></div>

I mean it. I'm familiar with doing something a first time and thinking my way might be better. Hell, my first rifle was a savage 223 with a BARSKA...

After a few years and alot of lessons learned the hard way I conceded there was a method to the madness and am happy with following the popular vote.

In the end you can skim bed the chassis since the way things work in theory don't always play out that way in practice. But Like me you're prolly stubborn and in the middle of a learning process. Just be open to the learning process and ESPICALLY the advice from the guys here that define doing something 'right'.

That is a good looking job you did on that stock.
I have done the same thing in the past.
Aluminum bedding is the way to go.
I am ready to see a range report on the stick to see how it shoots.

I would like to know how many, if any, of you folks know or have shot with/against John Whidden. Obviously not, considering the gross lack of humility in some of the posts, because that quiet GA farmer with his John Deere-decorated equipment would have spanked your butts up and down the 1000yd line and schooled you on wind estimation and long range shooting. John has, using his equipment, won the National Long Range Championship at Perry a couple times and countless local and regional matches. He is an accomplished machinist and downright gentleman. He also grew up a farmer, and as such is frugal.

The Whidden block is made to use one expensive custom stock with multiple barreled actions of the same type. Much the same as an HS bedding block, but this one can be bedded into a McMillan, Manners, or even have Alex Sitman put one in one of his. Not everyone is sitting on a pile of cash to have $1000 into a stock for each of a dozen rifles. Add to that thought the fact that the stock is the interface between the human body and the machine (rifle). If you fit that interface to your body, why go from one "interface" to another when you want to shift rifles?

Now, other methods are out there which allow multiple barreled actions to be used in a single stock. The Gilkes-Ross rifle design uses a clamp just forward of the action to hold the barreled action in the aluminum chassis. I know more than a couple folks who have these and they can SHOOT. They can spend 10 minutes swapping a rimfire out for a 6.5-284 in the same stock and go from shooting 100yds with a 22 to shooting 1000 and be within 1moa on the cold bore shot.

Just look at it this way. THere have been, and always will be, several ways to accomplish the same task. Yours may be right for you, but for one reason or another, not for someone else. That doesn't give anyone the right to hide behind a firewall and use their mastery of profanity and tactless behavior to bash someone on their accomplishments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think bedding is that stuff that keeps you warm at night while you sleep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First: It doesn't require me to be skilled at bedding. </div></div> So you re-inlett a stock and go that route. You must have some mad dremel Fu if inletting a stock is easier than bedding it. </div></div>
Actually, I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> much better at grinding, cutting and shaping than anything that involves potentially messy adhesives. Did it all free-hand too! There really wasn't much to remove since the magazine takes up a lot of the area in question. It's just a matter of removing material and then fitting the block and then removing more and then fitting the block until it's about right. The fit can be a little loose as long as it's level. You take up the slack with the adhesive you use. I used the depth of the existing recoil-lug inlet as a starting point. I <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> say it was a little un-nerving to wollow out the recoil-lug inlet! At that point I knew I was in it for the "long-haul"! With this block all of the messiness is under the rifle and can't be seen. I've seen messy bedding jobs that were done by people that do it all the time and to me it really takes away from the aesthetics of the rifle.

I have a Mill and a Lathe and would still pillar bed a rifle over hogging out an awesomely good stock to insert something that might help you feel better at night but will not work any better than good old fashioned pillar bedding. The main reason is as stated before, no two actions are the same. Hell look at optics rails for the 700, you can take the same rail and 5 actions and the gap in the rear will be different on all 5 actions. That is why we bed those too and its a "precision" machined part.

Its the same reason people bed the AICS even though its a fantastic stock rem actions vary.

Capturing the lug,is far more important than fending a compression issue upon an A5.

But it was heartwarming to read about a tractor and a ruse denoting someone cramming numerous barreled actions haphazardly into the same stock.

Give or take.

I really don't understand what the big problem is. I stepped outside the box and decided to let you all know about it and there's really been some "haters" out there. I understand and respect people's reasoning for using conventional, tried-and-true methods but please... Until it's proven a "failure"... IF it's proven a failure I'd prefer you either say something at least constructive, or shut the fuck up!

I like to try things and that's just me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think bedding is that stuff that keeps you warm at night while you sleep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First: It doesn't require me to be skilled at bedding. </div></div> So you re-inlett a stock and go that route. You must have some mad dremel Fu if inletting a stock is easier than bedding it. </div></div>
Actually, I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> much better at grinding, cutting and shaping than anything that involves potentially messy adhesives. Did it all free-hand too! There really wasn't much to remove since the magazine takes up a lot of the area in question. It's just a matter of removing material and then fitting the block and then removing more and then fitting the block until it's about right. The fit can be a little loose as long as it's level. You take up the slack with the adhesive you use. I used the depth of the existing recoil-lug inlet as a starting point. I <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> say it was a little un-nerving to wollow out the recoil-lug inlet! At that point I knew I was in it for the "long-haul"! With this block all of the messiness is under the rifle and can't be seen. I've seen messy bedding jobs that were done by people that do it all the time and to me it really takes away from the aesthetics of the rifle. </div></div>
633729019031478710-ingenuityjustbecauseyoucandoesntmeanyoushould.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think bedding is that stuff that keeps you warm at night while you sleep

Actually, I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> much better at grinding, cutting and shaping than anything that involves potentially messy adhesives. Did it all free-hand too! There really wasn't much to remove since the magazine takes up a lot of the area in question. It's just a matter of removing material and then fitting the block and then removing more and then fitting the block until it's about right. The fit can be a little loose as long as it's level. You take up the slack with the adhesive you use. I used the depth of the existing recoil-lug inlet as a starting point. I <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> say it was a little un-nerving to wollow out the recoil-lug inlet! At that point I knew I was in it for the "long-haul"! With this block all of the messiness is under the rifle and can't be seen. I've seen messy bedding jobs that were done by people that do it all the time and to me it really takes away from the aesthetics of the rifle. </div></div>
633729019031478710-ingenuityjustbecauseyoucandoesntmeanyoushould.jpg

</div></div>
LMAO over that! Point taken...