• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x worth the extra money

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Are the 40x 22lr worth the extra money anymore? Barreled repeater action for 1k shipped.
Bergara Barreled action can be had for 700 ish there are a few other full size actions running 22lr. Thoughts ? I own a lot of 700's and would like the 700 foot print.

What extra money? you mean price over the Bergara and/or price over a CZ/Tikka?

than absolutely yes it is worth it. very very few if any (id say none in the sub 1k price) factory rifles can compare to the 40x, even 50 yr old busted up ones. ive yet to find one that didnt shoot well

and you also answered your own question...you like the 700 footprint. this is a very valuable p in my opinion

if you can get one with the repeater conversion for 1k thats a pretty legit price...

short of going custom (RimX/Vudoo/Stiller/Anschutz etc) you wont beat the 40x...and you can still put a barrel on it later and it will shoot with the customs. there always several 40x's in the BR comps that hold their own very well.

GL
DT

That’s a good price depending on what barrel is on it. Back in the days before Vudoo, I had to give $800 for a barreled action, then get it rebarreled and converted to a repeater. I don’t remember how much I spent in total, but it was more than just buying a Vudoo today. Be interesting to know who did the conversion on the one you are considering.

I still like mine and will probably keep it forever. I’m going to chop the barrel on it save some weight and turn it into my 10 yr old son’s match rifle.

One last thing, if you have a 40X, you are automatically a member of the “40X Mafia”.

I have a few 40X that were converted to repeaters by Jonathan Elrod. Love them. They get as much use as my Vudoos.

If you can grab one for a grand, it is a good deal.

Reactions: D_TROS
I'd grab it. They aren't making anymore and it's been converted already. 700 stocks/chassis flood the second hand market

He was running vudoo mags, should work great with my Hawkins bottom metal.

Just a suggestion: I compete in ARA Unlimited with a 1965 factory 40XB. Factory stock and barrel, Jewell trigger. BUT, when I first received the rifle I noticed some small gouges in the bore just inside the muzzle (borescope), probably made from the factory crowning reamer so I had 3/4" of barrel cut off and an 11degree crown lathe cut. It made a significant difference in precision.

Reactions: 806guns
Depending on how it shoots, it may get another barrel. It will mainly be a trainer rifle.

You want quality for your $ investment , 40x is your answer .

Remember it was touched and built be an American working to feed and raise a family , that took pride in something he touched and produced . It’s gone today .

My original barrel shot just OK. I shot it with that for about a year and then finally had it rebarreled with a Lilja. Group sizes went about in half. The Lilja is not quite the equal of my Vudoo, but it's close. At some point, it'll get a Shilen, and I assume it will then outshoot the Vudoo.

Consider ordering a pair of extractors for it now. They may need a little tuning to get it to run perfectly, and it's easy to stone off too much material and spoil one.

Reactions: 806guns and D_TROS
Don’t honestly know how much the 40X or 40XB are bringing these days, but I’d be hesitant to purchase a conversion unless I knew it wasn’t a “one off”. Repeaters on the 40XB/700 footprint are plentiful, not much reason to chop up an original in my opinion, I shoot mine as is.
If I need a repeater, I grab the Bergara.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Grab it for 1k, it'll hold it's value easily. The L3I mags run fantastic if it's setup for a m5 bottom metal

He was running vudoo mags, should work great with my Hawkins bottom metal.

FYI, my 40x repeater ran marginal with the regular vudoo mags and runs perfect and tight with the L3I mags. Expensive but worth it

Reactions: Thesepaperwings
Here it is in a Indian Creek Design chassis. Using vudoo mags. Havent done the whole ammo test at 100 yards. Its just fun
1000007575.jpg