• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 40xb 308 sticky bolt and chamber marking bullets

hiddenmongoose

crazysection
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ireland
Went shooting today and all was going well. fired about 20 rounds then due to the chain breaking on my steel target I went to unload a live chambered round.The bolt was sticky on the lift, not super hard but just not normal.I inspected the round and found a single narrow scrape(about the width of a pin from the very tip of the bullet leading back towards the brass, it stops about .14 of an inch from the top of the brass and turns into a sideways scrape,(obviously from when the bolt rotates).Iv tried to take a pic but cant get it to show up clearly with my shity camera.Iv chambered another 5 rounds and it does the same, Iv cleaned the barrell and it still scrapes the bullets.The depth of the scrape is NOT enough so that you can feel it with your nail.I Didnt shoot the rifle after that.Any ideas?

edit to add the mark is being left at the 1 o clock position on the chamber as i marked a couple of rounds with a sharpie when i fed them in to see where the mark was coming from

Last edited:
The mark is probably being caused by the ejector putting force on the bullet as it ejects. It's scraping the corners of the lug seat's on the way out. That's a guess with no photo. I perpendicular mark from rotating the bolt some how is probably not a good sign of things being perfect. The bullet scratch is common and not an issue.

did you load these from the magazine or jst lay them atop the follower and close the bolt?
Scrapes on the projectile are normal when loading from the magazine

They are being marked both fed from the mag and not from the mag.

got it borescoped today, smith couldnt find anything out of order and reckons it nothing to worry about .?

Last edited: