• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .41 Mags- Who's Got EM?

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Been looking for awhile for a good wheel gun in a .41 mag. S&W came out with a 4" gun again and Taurus has the Tracker in a 4.5" I think. Would rather stick to a double action though Ruger's Blackhawks are great.

Whatcha got and why?

Re: .41 Mags- Who's Got EM?

Mine is a S&W 657 mountain gun, 4 inch tapered barrel packs real well and with 250gr hard cast at about 1300fps should handle anything around here. I really like the mountain guns for woods carry. I have them in 44 mag and 45 colt as well.

Mine are a Mod 57 6" S&W and a Dan Wesson 4" 6" 8" heavy bbl
I have owned a 4" and 8" S&W and a Blackhawk 7.5" previously

I have taken many deer and a few ground hogs with them, the 6" S&W is my favorite to carry and ground hunt with and the 8" DW is the tree stand favorite, it wears a Leupold 2x and has made deer kills at 90yds from a big oak tree across a field. (resting on a limb)
The Hornady 210 XTP and 2400 has been a good performing bullet for me, it expands perfectly in deer at .41 velocities.
There is a lot of blast from a 4" and the sight radius is too short for me, the 8" is a lot to carry and slower to get on target (although it hangs well once its there)

I saw an old blackhawk at a flea market here a while back in .41. Really wish i'd bought it. Like they say, if Dirty Harry had used a .41, the .44 would just be a dusty old cartridge like the .300 savage.....

I have a 1986 modle 657 S&W 3" lew horton gun in .41mag. Love my .41 the caliber is great but its an obscure round and resale may be affected and ammo choices are more limited. Honestly I think your better off with a .44mag and shoot .44special out of it for something close to the .41 without any drawbacks.

261p8i9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oughtsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw an old blackhawk at a flea market here a while back in .41. Really wish i'd bought it. Like they say, if Dirty Harry had used a .41, the .44 would just be a dusty old cartridge like the .300 savage..... </div></div>

I don't know about the later movies but in the first one that ".44" was actually a .41. Cool tidbit I picked up somewhere.

I have two. A Smith 657 that my wife gave me our first Christmas that we were married and a Freedom Arms Model 83.

I like the round a lot more than the 44. A 230gn gas checked WFN just hammers game animals and silhouette targets but doesent recoil as harsh as the 44.

I run a S&W model 58.
It would probably be the last revo. that I would get rid of.
....unless they made up a .44 in that configuration!!! HA!!

Seriously, the 41 is a much underrated ctg. IMO.

FWIW
Wes in AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been looking for awhile for a good wheel gun in a .41 mag. S&W came out with a 4" gun again and Taurus has the Tracker in a 4.5" I think. Would rather stick to a double action though Ruger's Blackhawks are great.

Whatcha got and why? </div></div>
What? A '75 M58 and a pair of '81 M57s, a 4" and a 6", all 3 are blued.

Why? Carried the M58 on duty back in the '70s, so nostalgia there
wink.gif
As far as the M57s, ahhh...cause I can
grin.gif
Besides, I just like N frames.

The 41Mag has, unfortunately, been increasingly labeled a "cult" caliber, but that does not mean dead. Smith occasionally makes stainless 41Mags and I understand they are even resurrecting the M58 in the "Classic" line, maybe even doing away with the dreaded lock. The only downside is that when you go to buy ammo you'll suddenly find a pair of hands on your shoulders, from behind
eek.gif
, that is if you find it
frown.gif
. Pull the trigger on the 41, we need all the 41 fans out there we can get
grin.gif

FWIW, if you believe John Milius (Dirty Harry co-writer and all around Hollywood gun guy), the M57 "tidbit" (as well as the M25-5 speculation) is nothing but urban legend, they in fact used 44Mags. Milius owns one of the original M29s used to film the movie and has published pictures of it. Believe who you will
wink.gif

Thanks for your show and tell guys! Keep 'em coming. I myself have shot both and for me the .41 outshines the .44...

I had a .41 Mag Desert Eagle but sold it to my Dad as he loves the .41 Mag. It was a good shooter and quite fun.