• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

416 Barrett??? Whats the general opinion

Coyote3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Wyoming T.S.
Does anyone have one of these bad boys. From what they show on the Futureweapons and then compare it to the 408 that they shot in Arca, ID on the sniper country blog, I think the 416 is a sure shooter. 416 was a first shot kill at 2500 and the 408 was lucky to hit a sheet of plywood at 1900. Anyone shot one or shot both to compare?????

Re: 416 Barrett??? Whats the general opinion

Point is moot for me, as I could never afford to shoot the 416.
smile.gif

Dude, I talked to the Cheytac guys about what happened and they said Mack told them that the Barrett target was less than 1000 yards away. Don't believe everything you see on TV. I would take the 408CT or better yet the 375CT over the 416 any day. They are both much more efficient cartridges. Plus the Cheytac systems can be built in a platform that weighs substantially less than the 50 caliber rifles.

So your saying that Ronny Barrett let them falsely advertise one of his greatest builds. He must have shares in Discovery channel or he maybe he owns it now??? I am trying to compare a 408 to the 416. I know the 375 will most likely outperform both of these rounds, but to what distance?? The way the 408 shot on the LR research blog I simply was not impressed. (The one with the sniper in Arca that shot a 26 inch group at 1950 yards) Just wanted to see what opinions were out there about the 416.

There is false advertising all over the place, don't act shocked man, where you been living? You probably believe everything they say on the news too?

If you were not impressed with the way the 408CT shot at 2500 yards, then you haven't shot that distance to know what it takes. Get out and shoot the guns, Call Dave up and Cheytac I'm sure he'll let you come try one of their 408's.

I have personally fired multiple 408CT rifles as well as 375CT rifles and they are exceptional cartridges much better accuracy than you state, check your sources. I would put the 408CT against the 416 Barrett any day. I have shot several groups as small as 8 - 12" at 2000 yards average groupings were under 1 MOA. I shot the 375CT to 2650 yards in 40+MPH winds and my group was only 2-3 feet in size.

I absolutely despise listening to that guy talk on futureweapons. The most annoying tv show host I've come accross I think. Not to mention there is so much mis-information on that show it is useless to watch.

Orkan,
Well you'll be happy to know that they canceled Future Weapons and go rid of Mack and are starting a new show called Utlimate Weapons this season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...they canceled Future Weapons and go rid of Mack and are starting a new show called Utlimate Weapons this season.
</div></div>

Thank goodness!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have personally fired multiple 408CT rifles as well as 375CT rifles and they are exceptional cartridges much better accuracy than you state, check your sources. I would put the 408CT against the 416 Barrett any day. I have shot several groups as small as 8 - 12" at 2000 yards average groupings were under 1 MOA. I shot the 375CT to 2650 yards in 40+MPH winds and my group was only 2-3 feet in size. </div></div> Heres the link that I went to for information on the 408. http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/408CheyTac.asp
If you look at the 2300 yards group pict. with the shooter, the orange paint marks are where he hit. Looks like about a 4 foot group to me, thats just my opinion.

Did you see the date on that article? 2001. The rifle/cartridge were still in development back then. As has been said, try to get out and shoot the rifles for comparison. On paper the .416 Barrett may seem impressive, but in the ELR community it's not performing anywhere near what's claimed. The .408 and 375/408 are well proven at extreme range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Orkan,
Well you'll be happy to know that they canceled Future Weapons and go rid of Mack and are starting a new show called Utlimate Weapons this season.
</div></div>

That does indeed make me happy. I hope we've seen the end of that douche bag's TV career.

Mack gets way more personal shit than he deserves. I've known him since before FutureWeapons when he was in my AO teaching self-defense and he's a great guy (gave my team lots of support downrange in 2004-2005). He's ultra passionate about this stuff and that combined with NOT being an actor makes him what he is on screen. All I can really say about the content of the show is consider what he had to do: tell a story, entertain or make it interesting and make a manufacturer look good. That became increasingly difficult and combined with the producers, writers and pressure from the network - it made it what it is. It was great for many companies to get exposure (you know who you are) and while not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it was pretty damned successful as a science/military show.

And admit it - you all wished you had his job
wink.gif

Coyote3, you do realise your arguing your "internet" opinion with someone with ACTUAL trigger time right? I for one would really like to know what the farthest distance YOU have shot at, not what you read about.

Shane

i guess he didint finish the title. i think it was supposed to read: 416 Barrett??? Whats the general opinion <span style="color: #FF0000"> if it is negative, i refuse to listen to it! </span>

I just did this to see if I could get somebody riled up. Personally I am going to try and have Lawton build me a 375 CT when my ship er... shit comes in. I never have liked the thought of buying a cartridge built on a name like Barrett. Sounds expennnsiiivvveeee!! I just wanted to see an opinion and have decided that the one sided opinion is for the Cheytac system. Really have only shot to a mile with my 300 Win Mag. (All the further my range finder will hit at once) Absolutely would love to shoot one before I buy it. Is anyone gonna have one up in Mont. at the shootout????

Coyote3, you have to actually hit something at a mile(other than the ground) to claim that you shoot at a mile
grin.gif

There is false advertising all over the place, don't act shocked man, where you been living? You probably believe everything they say on the news too?
Quote by SR90

Cant believe everything you read of the internet as well.

SR90 My choice would be the .375Cheytac as well. Cant always beleive what the competiors is saying about their competition. Remeber Barretts been with the military for years. Shooting 2000yards or meters its more in the shooter and not the gun. Cheytacs guns are impressive but the main point for their guns is selling a systems that works together. For me their software is what makes their guns look good.

I have shot several groups as small as 8 - 12" at 2000 yards average groupings were under 1 MOA. I shot the 375CT to 2650 yards in 40+MPH winds and my group was only 2-3 feet in size.
Quote by SR90

C'mon man I want to see a vid if your shooting 8" group at 2000yards! The best shooters in the world couldnt pull that shit off.

What I like about Ronnie Barrett is he has always stuck by gun rights. He wont sell to any agenices in California because they banned the .50 BMG out their. Unlike Cheytac that sells a "Civilan" model and a "Military" model. The same goes with their cilvilian software and military software. If I were to have a .375 Cheytac it would be built by Lawton Machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyote3, you have to actually hit something at a mile(other than the ground) to claim that you shoot at a mile
grin.gif
</div></div> Maybe you ought to come out west where you could shoot three miles without obstructions, instead back there where the only place you can shoot a mile is on the ocean. LOOOLLL...

marku, there's a whole hell of a lot wrong with your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is false advertising all over the place, don't act shocked man, where you been living? You probably believe everything they say on the news too?

Cant believe everything you read of the internet as well.

SR90 My choice would be the .375Cheytac as well. Cant always beleive what the competiors is saying about their competition. Remeber Barretts been with the military for years. Shooting 2000yards or meters its more in the shooter and not the gun. Cheytacs guns are impressive but the main point for their guns is selling a systems that works together. For me their software is what makes their guns look good.

I have shot several groups as small as 8 - 12" at 2000 yards average groupings were under 1 MOA. I shot the 375CT to 2650 yards in 40+MPH winds and my group was only 2-3 feet in size.
Quote by SR90

C'mon man I want to see a vid if your shooting 8" group at 2000yards! The best shooters in the world couldnt pull that shit off.

What I like about Ronnie Barrett is he has always stuck by gun rights. He wont sell to any agenices in California because they banned the .50 BMG out their. Unlike Cheytac that sells a "Civilan" model and a "Military" model. The same goes with their cilvilian software and military software. If I were to have a .375 Cheytac it would be built by Lawton Machine.
</div></div> I am with you there. Lawton definitely has there sh%$%&*t together. If I can ever win a lottery Lawton would be busy building stuff for me for the next ten years.

I guess I shouldn't have been so secretive, but when sometimes when you get people riled up they tell the truth. Thanks for the input so far. (Guess I won't mention a 416 Barrett again) OOPS!!!!

Coyote3, there's a public perception of the .416s capabilities and then there's reality. It's not a crap round; it just hasn't lived up to expectations. There is no dogma here, it's more like science: follow the evidence.

Coyote3..... I live in Wyoming, and would love to see you shoot at a target at 1 mile with your 300Wm. Its so damn windy here I would be suprised if the round didnt end up in the next county when it hit the ground.

Are you guys for real? 408 or 416.... You are speaking of two calibers with compareable grain, velocity, and energy. Both projectiles of spun brass. You guys are not comparing apples to oranges with this one. I think your question should've been... I like the looks of the 408 but Barrett will fill my ego more, what do you guys think? I honestly thought I was going to read an interesting post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltap45acp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyote3..... I live in Wyoming, and would love to see you shoot at a target at 1 mile with your 300Wm. Its so damn windy here I would be suprised if the round didnt end up in the next county when it hit the ground.</div></div> You really ought to get out of the middle part of the state. Where I live it the "Great Bighorn Basin" between 2 hours in the evening and dark anywhere within 50 miles of where I live you can usually shoot without any windage adjust. The next time I get out and shoot, I will posts some pics of where I am shooting a mile without wind. (No Discovery channel B.S.) Also in the morning just after the sun comes up for about two hours you can shoot with no windage adjust. Caspers great if you wanted to shoot something in Nebraska. (Very little Come Up MOA) Bullets will kinda float HAHAHAHAHa!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys for real? 408 or 416.... You are speaking of two calibers with compareable grain, velocity, and energy. Both projectiles of spun brass. You guys are not comparing apples to oranges with this one. I think your question should've been... I like the looks of the 408 but Barrett will fill my ego more, what do you guys think? I honestly thought I was going to read an interesting post.</div></div> The reason I started this was to see what people thought of the 416 versus the 408. Not just the performance, but the availability of ammo, bullets, primers, brass, reloading equipment, etc... Had to see if there was any die hard Barrett fans or not..

I have never shot the Cheytac's. I do have the .416. I have found the Barrett will shoot apx 3/4 groups at 100 yards.At 600 it shoots apx 1/2 min groups. At 1000 it is less the 1/2 min. It seems to get better the further out you get. I have shot it once at 1500. Did a 9 inch group. The wind was blowing 15 to 20 mph from the right. With a better shooter I dont know how it would have done. If the Cheytac is better it is a fine weapon for sure.

You're having far better experience with the .416 than most others then.

As for components for .408 & 375/408, in the last couple years things have gotten to the point where it's pretty simple to get all the dies you need, brass and bullets - and there's options in the latter that there weren't before. The .416 doesn't have anywhere near that availability, but then again, it's a comparatively young cartridge. Keep in mind that the .338LM was developed about 20 years ago but it's only been in the last five years or so that it's really coming into its own.

marku, there's a whole hell of a lot wrong with your post.
quote by Dogtown

Please clairify.

I have talked to ALOT of companies in my time. This doesnt go just for guns but for everything. Ive never had one company bad talk another. Its just not good business. Expecially saying that a Discovery channel episode was rigged, which is a very bold claim. Now im not here to debate on which cartridge is better because like Dogtown said the .416 Barret is a new cartridge and will only get better as the years go by if it can last that long.

When shooting extreme long range (2000+ yards) you have to have some expierce in shooting. When someone says they shot a 8" group at 2000 yards I have to see it to believe it.

What sets Cheytac apart from the rest is its a full system. My god they know exacty what that bullets doing once it leaves the barrel (they tracked it by radar)! They were kind of the first company to offer a full kit were all the ballistic data is spot on where it needs to be. Take a good shooter with a Remington 5R and horus software thats spot on and he could amaze people on the shots he can make.

Like I said above its Cheytac own choice that they make certain models for "Military" and others for "Civilian" use I just dont agree with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SR90 My choice would be the .375Cheytac as well. Cant always beleive what the competiors is saying about their competition. Remeber Barretts been with the military for years. Shooting 2000yards or meters its more in the shooter and not the gun. Cheytacs guns are impressive but the main point for their guns is selling a systems that works together. For me their software is what makes their guns look good.</div></div>

Yup, you can't believe everything you see or read, but on this forum there are a number of folks who've regularly shot a variety of calibers into the 2000+ yard arena, so I would say referencing their experience carries more weight than advertising from vendors or a TV show.

Barrett has made .50BMG rifles for over 20 years, but most will tell you they "generally" aren't considered precision ELR rifles; that being rifles able to make consistent hits on human sized targets at 2000 yards. The Cheytac ABC and other ballistic software is still just a tool and can be used with other rifles and other calibers, so it's not some kind of advantage for Cheytac. The fact of the matter is the .416 Barrett is still very proprietary, comes with a LOT of bravado, but has yet to deliver for the most part. Ask the folks that have used them alongside .408s.

SR90 says:
"I have shot several groups as small as 8 - 12" at 2000 yards average groupings were under 1 MOA. I shot the 375CT to 2650 yards in 40+MPH winds and my group was only 2-3 feet in size.
Quote by SR90"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I don't think you've been around here long enough to know that Nick has done exactly that. Do a search for SOE AAR and you may find the long thread where he and several other hide members shot in Arco with Dean where Nick and others made shots like that.

</div></div>

Cheytac doesn't sell a civilianized model anymore - just one M200. Their barrels are made by Lawton, by the way. It's also not .375 Cheytac as they had little to do with the caliber, but more correctly it's a .375/408. As for the ABC and CABC differences, they make sense and both are available to end users regardless. It's no cause to lionize Barrett over.

Marku,
I am speaking as an individual and stating facts that I know and have experienced, yes I am a company owner, but first and for most I will always be a shooter, and being a company owner should not discredit me or not allow me to participate in forum discussions.

Questioning what I say is fine but several other shooters on this forum have shot side by side with me and seen some amazing groups shot at the distances you dispute. I have seen other shooters shoot similar groupings.

I have no beef with Barrett, but out of the thousands of rounds that I have fired from 1000 - 2700 yards my farthest first round hit to date was at 1650 yards on a 30" circle, actually I have done it four times to date, but for a company to boldly claim to make a cold bore shot at 2500 yards while being shot by a shooter who is not familiar with their system is not a fair comparison when Cheytac's on screen demonstration was very honest and showed a real world demonstration of what really happens downrange.

The Cheytac rounds are great, but as others have said their ballistic program is what makes them really sing. I have been using their program for five years and it is exceptional. Most of the time my cold bore shots while using the program are within 1 to 2 feet of the target, that is if the wind is called correctly.

(coyote 3)i may be able to put you in touch with the man you developed the 416 barrett

me and several members live about 40 miles from Barrett MFG
and they shoot at a local range on occasion

the developer of the 416 Barrett frequents this range also, (no longer employed by Barrett) and he would gladly talk to you about the pro's/con's of the 416 Barret caliber

let me know

george

Just so we are clear I was in no way was bashing Barrett, I understand that TV shows highly influence things to make them more attractive and boost performance onscreen. Fortunately viewers with the experience and know-how can see through all of that, but apparently there are a lot of people who took the cheese, so-to-speak so I was throwing some reality into the discussion and leveling the playing field so readers could make a fair comparison between the 408 and the 416.

I believe the 416 can be a great round ballistically but I would not have chose to make the new cartridge on a fifty caliber casing, because now the rifles size and weight characteristics will be identical to the 50's. I would have preferred to do something similar to what Cheytac did using a smaller case so I could make rifles that would be smaller and lighter. It was however a smart move for Barrett to make the 416 because they have a whole line of 50 caliber rifles so all they had to do was install a 416 barrel in place of the 50 caliber barrel. Also if there is a national 50 caliber ban Barret can easily fall back on the 416 cartridge and still sell to civilians.

Well did a search on SOE AAR and nothing showed up.

The Cheytac ABC and other ballistic software is still just a tool and can be used with other rifles and other calibers, so it's not some kind of advantage for Cheytac. Quote my Dogtown

It is a advantage. Buy the gun without the software that was developed for it and use the JBM online free ballistc program and see how close you can hit targets at 2000 yards.

The Cheytac rounds are great, but as others have said their ballistic program is what makes them really sing. I have been using their program for five years and it is exceptional. Most of the time my cold bore shots while using the program are within 1 to 2 feet of the target, that is if the wind is called correctly. Quote by SR90

Im with you on that one. SR90 I dont want to take away any of your accomplishments but this is the internet. When someone says they shot a 8" group at 2000 yds with nothing to back it up it still hard to believe. I"ll take 3 shot only on a target thats clean. Ive shot up to 1000yd mark and got several 3.5" groups with my 7mm WSM but theirs bullet marks all over the steel so I cant call them a group. Now if I pulled of 3 shots within 3.5" on paper at that distance with no other holes in the paper that a group.

I dont want to come off like im cheerleading for Barret either. The demo on Future weapons was flakey as well you know they were shooting that rifle before the host ever got behind it. I like the .375 Cheytac (yeah most dont spend the time adding the /.408 on the end of it because they know that you mean) and have one built by Lawton. As I did know that Lawton did build the barrels and actions for their cheaper model.

BTW Dogtown I got on Cheytac's site. Yep your only half right they now only make the M200. Quoting from Cheytacs site, "The Cheytac ABC is available only to approved to military and governmental orginizations." "Contact Cheytac directly for information and a list of qualifications." So civilians still cant buy their ABC software.

IMHO the 416 Barrett round is much easier to come by simply due to the fact the 416 is a cut down 50BMG case. Which the brass is still fairly easy to come by. I personally shoot the 50bmg and I have a lot of left over brass casings that if I did have the 416 and need be I could use my once fired 50bmg brass casings, get some brass barstock and spin my own projectiles on the lathe. Both the 408 and the 416 currently use spun brass projectiles and bar stock brass can easily be aquired. The 416 uses the 505 gribbs case as it's platform. The 505 is very rare in the U.S. One major issue is the 505 brass will stretch alot due to the weakness in the brass as it was not intended to use smokeless powder. This alone making it not cost effective to handload the 408 Cheytac. In either case, I would not want to depend on buying manufactored ammo as it is way more expensive than 50 BMG ammo....

You can buy 408 and 375 brass that is not a problem...

What I would like to seeis how consistant you can keep those projos your going to turn by hand. Without CNC, you'll have a hard time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So civilians still cant buy their ABC software.</div></div>

For the better part of the last year there were complete units available w/ ABC installed at GunBroker and Knesek Guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO the 416 Barrett round is much easier to come by simply due to the fact the 416 is a cut down 50BMG case. Which the brass is still fairly easy to come by. I personally shoot the 50bmg and I have a lot of left over brass casings that if I did have the 416 and need be I could use my once fired 50bmg brass casings, get some brass barstock and spin my own projectiles on the lathe. Both the 408 and the 416 currently use spun brass projectiles and bar stock brass can easily be aquired. The 416 uses the 505 gribbs case as it's platform. The 505 is very rare in the U.S. One major issue is the 505 brass will stretch alot due to the weakness in the brass as it was not intended to use smokeless powder. This alone making it not cost effective to handload the 408 Cheytac. In either case, I would not want to depend on buying manufactored ammo as it is way more expensive than 50 BMG ammo.... </div></div>

I suspect you're making some wild assumptions...

Actually, .408 cases made to spec have been available for years, particularly though Jamison and TTI. The .408 case is NOT a .505 Gibbs necked and trimmed. It's a new spec initially based on the .505 but with a strengthened case web among other things. Again, getting brass is not a problem. Some projectiles are brass, some are traditional copper jacketed lead, and still others are copper/nickel alloy. It's not just a factory ammo cartridge and it sure as hell isn't a one-source projectile cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so we are clear I was in no way was bashing Barrett, I understand that TV shows highly influence things to make them more attractive and boost performance onscreen. Fortunately viewers with the experience and know-how can see through all of that, but apparently there are a lot of people who took the cheese, so-to-speak so I was throwing some reality into the discussion and leveling the playing field so readers could make a fair comparison between the 408 and the 416.

I believe the 416 can be a great round ballistically but I would not have chose to make the new cartridge on a fifty caliber casing, because now the rifles size and weight characteristics will be identical to the 50's. I would have preferred to do something similar to what Cheytac did using a smaller case so I could make rifles that would be smaller and lighter. It was however a smart move for Barrett to make the 416 because they have a whole line of 50 caliber rifles so all they had to do was install a 416 barrel in place of the 50 caliber barrel. Also if there is a national 50 caliber ban Barret can easily fall back on the 416 cartridge and still sell to civilians.

</div></div> By looking at the dimensions between the 408 and the 416 the difference in dimension is not that great. OAL 4.58 to OAL 4.80 Case Diameter .637 to .797 Does not add up to a lot. About the same as comparing a 308 to a 300 win mag. Same caliber just a little bigger case.....

I think you guys missed the entire point. Recently I saw a box of 10 rounds of 408 sale for nearly $500. Two ten round boxes of 416 for $500. I challenge anyone of you to go to any Mom and Pop gun store and buy a box of either. I buy my BMG ammo at a local country gun shop. If I had to, and if I owned a 416, I could easily make my own ammo.

As for as the machinist comment. You are barking up the wrong tree. A CNC for one is not required to reproduce a round object and you assume that I don't have one to begin with or at least access. Do you know what I do for a living?

I am not sure where the 375 fell into question.

Wild assumptions? WTF... Are you saying that I am merely wrong??? I don't care who makes new spec brass. Do you have to rely on the internet to get your brass or ammo? I said what round the 408 is based on and can be reproduced by.

The only projectile I have seen for either round is spun brass or copper. If you have a source for anything different then my hat is off to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys missed the entire point. Recently I saw a box of 10 rounds of 408 sale for nearly $500. Two ten round boxes of 416 for $500. I challenge anyone of you to go to any Mom and Pop gun store and buy a box of either. I buy my BMG ammo at a local country gun shop. If I had to, and if I owned a 416, I could easily make my own ammo.

As for as the machinist comment. You are barking up the wrong tree. A CNC for one is not required to reproduce a round object and you assume that I don't have one to begin with or at least access. Do you know what I do for a living?

I am not sure where the 375 fell into question.

Wild assumptions? WTF... Are you saying that I am merely wrong??? I don't care who makes new spec brass. Do you have to rely on the internet to get your brass or ammo? I said what round the 408 is based on and can be reproduced by.

The only projectile I have seen for either round is spun brass or copper. If you have a source for anything different then my hat is off to you.

</div></div> I'm with you on this to. I can go down to my NG armory and get all the empty 50 brass (Use to be able to) I want, either build or buy a die set for the 416 and reload my own. I always figured on trying to spin my own PROJECTILES in a lathe for it and see what happened. Kinda been thinking about doing it for my 300 WM too. (210 grain .875 BC) Seen 100 brass projos on Gunbroker for $140. They are 416 grainers but didn't look like a bad price to me. I think I'm gonna have someone build me a 375 caliber on the 416 case. That would sure beat all.

You can't expect to find components for specialized ELR cartridges at mom & pop stores. Yes, loaded ammo is expensive, similarly to match .50BMG or .338LM.

As for .408 components...

Jamison brass is available from Jamison Intl, Midway, Graf & Sons, Knesek Guns, etc. It's not hard to get.

LRBT-style copper/nickel lathed solids are available from the above dealers (minus Graf). Lutz Moellers makes .408 projectiles. Rocky Mountain is making copper jacketed lead bullets (aka traditional) and EDM is also selling the same, if not similar bullet. Lehigh makes a 375gr .408 bullet that's ironically a scaled down version of the .416 design. This not to mention Noel's bullet designs...

Dies are available from Cheytac, Lawton & CH4D

All of this stuff is a phone call or internet click away. It's not hard. Sure, some mom & pop shops are going to have .50BMG components because it's a nearly 100 year old cartridge, but how many have match components?

Why can you not do so now? Is it because of your state laws? I never new you could get the brass directly from the NG Armory... I need to try this... I have heard recently that BMG surplus is no longer available to the public. Just curious....

Ok, I am not disagreeing with you to some extent... First, all BMG ammo is high reguardless of who it comes from or grade. Two, I don't live in California where the BMG is banned, the BMG is nearly available everywhere except Wal Mart here. Of coarse I am being somewhat sarcastic. And most mom and pop shop's don't sale match grade ammo for any caliber. You want match grade ammo from a manufactorer, they or you have to order it. Live in a big city, you might get lucky with some of the shops that deal with Class 3 items. As for as match grade components go, most of your local reload suppliers have everything you need. And if they don't they will definately carry by consumer request.

Now with all of that said. I actually prefer the Cheytac over the Barrett. Not the caliber but the rifle. However I would not buy one of either. I would go after the EDM which is ironic since it is made in California. It is the father of the Cheytac Intervention with only few changes. Most notable is the bipod stem and the handle. Would Bill make a 416 for the EDM? I would be willing to bet he would. Would I buy it in a 416? No, I also shoot the 338LM which is good enough for me...

Before anybody questions what a Class 3 dealer has to do with match grade ammo.... Most class 3 dealers carry a wider variety of high and low end products to include ammo...