• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

416 Barrett

nosajf

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2007
Australia
Okay guys, who has any exerience with the Model 99 and this round. Curently a gunshop here in OZ is marketing the 99 and 460 Steyr. Or I would have to go a custom 408 at more expense.

Give me your wisdom

Re: 416 Barrett

If you search around you'll find that folks here have experienced the .416 Barrett not exactly living up to expectations. .460 Steyr seems almost like vaporware with very little info or experience out there. .408 Cheytac is very impressive if you want to shoot past 1600m, but it's quite a commitment. The .375/408 is a superior ELR round, by the way.

Personally, I think a good .338LM is the best choice for most folks. Lots of rifles and ammo component choices/availability in volume.

Slide over to the Barrett Form and look under the 416 form. The guys that have one are having a hell of time getting ammo, and I saw 20 rounds sell on GB for $530!!!!

We patriots that work and cling to our religion and guns, need a long range round that we can find good Barrels,brass & bullets for that are not $ 10 every time we pull the trigger, So I would go wiht the 338 Lapua

I have shot both and own a lapua hindsight being 20/20 I would still go 338

Less than 2000 yards 338L/338N,more than 2000 yards 375CT.

The new Jamison 375CT brass is of excellent quality and there are more sources for 375 projectiles than ever before.

My current favorite load is sending 330gr Lehigh's at 3245fps.Around 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards.

From what I've read most 416B owners have suffered many plights.

Steve

EDM canidate here. I had the 416, but sold it for the EDM windrunner. I did so because I couldn't eve get the rounds included in the purchase. No rounds = no shooting.... 408 cheytac for sure. M310 is pretty nice looking also. Love my windrunner though.

Jas,

Send a PM to this guy "aussiearmourer". He built and having very good success with his 375/408 shooting the Predator bullets from your country.

416B = No way
408CT = Only if I couldn't go 375/408
375/408 = First Choice

15.5mm/20mm Vulcan = Experimenting and joy of learning what does and does not work
smile.gif

Thanks

Both the .416 B and the 460Steyr are superior to the 408. I have no experience with the 375CT.
If you can get ammo get a 416, and if you can´t obtain Barrett 416 ammo buy a 460S which by being european and without the need of a DSP83 for any exportation procedures, will get to OZ much quicker and easier.
Same goes with any kind of sniper product made in the US.
State Dept procedures are VERY expensive and will make you go nuts.
I hate to say this but:
But if you live outside the US....buy European stuff.....

Apart from ammo availability and the lack of support for any further development from Barrett can you tell me why the 416B is not living up to the expectations?
I have done a lot of work on those calibers for the spanish Army ELR program (by the way we are one of the few countries running the upgrade from 308 to 338LM program for NATO now) and the 408 never came close to 416B or 460S.
I would love to know if you have precise data as our experiences with 408 where not very sucessfull and I am interested in trying some more and in the 375CT.
My 338LM is nice but will not go as far as I need to, even if my friends Jaarno and Ari make some extraordinary 2008m second round hits ... it is not a 2K round.
Thanks
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you search around you'll find that folks here have experienced the .416 Barrett not exactly living up to expectations. .460 Steyr seems almost like vaporware with very little info or experience out there. .408 Cheytac is very impressive if you want to shoot past 1600m, but it's quite a commitment. The .375/408 is a superior ELR round, by the way.

Personally, I think a good .338LM is the best choice for most folks. Lots of rifles and ammo component choices/availability in volume. </div></div>

Thanks guys, pity about the ammo situation with the Barrett because I like the look of the platform. I can pick up the 99 with Nightforce for the cost of having a 375/408 built wuth out optics. That what made/makes it so appealing.

Been over to the Barret forums and read about the ammo problems, is this the problem with the round= lack of shooters developing loads and putting in trigger time. Or are the numbers provided inherently flawed?

Barrett didn't have enough ammo when they released the gun, they are behind on production, they know they need to produce more and from what I hear, and feel, I think Barret is stepping up production. I have heard rumors that Barrett has had a couple companies produce the rounds for them and some have fallen through. I don't know why nor for sure.

I think another problem is people are calling for 1 case at a time. I understand they are expensive rounds and we all aren't rich. But, as most companies work volume is king. I gotta tell ya I have had no problem getting Barrett .416 ammo. I got 8 cases of .416 from them. I had to wait a month or two but they came right to me when they got it in. And no I won't sell it on Gunbroker for $200 a box. I won't sell it at all.

Also, look in the near future for a couple companies coming out with new dies to more easily form .50bmg brass and a couple more companies selling the projos.

I know of a friend of mine that will be landing a shipment of TAC 50 styled 416 Barretts shortly. I will be testing it at length.

We have cases and will be running the Predator projectiles mentioned.

I am amazed that you say that you can get a M99 with NF scope for less than a custom rifle alone. I assume you are sourcing Barrett through Noia Trading as they are the only importer I know short of bringing it in yourself. I personally would be amazed with the latest laws on Tactical rifles being exported from the states that there will be many M99 getting here at all.

Have you actually had one in your hand that you could have purchased ? I know forward orders are being taken but when they can't get basic Heavy Tac style LAPS in currently, stuffed if I can see how the M99 would get here.

PS-- If it is though let me know cause when I made lengthy enquiries about 4 months ago It was dicy at best. The accuracy guarantee I got in writing from Barrett was appauling ! Large money for something that didn't look like it could match it with the best. I was told flat out by everyone in the know that the big Mcmillan 416 would more than likely kill the Barrett for accuracy.

I'd love to know if there have been any further developements since my research ended with Barrett months ago.

Cheers mate !

Good to see another Aussie long ranger on the board !

DUH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys, who has any exerience with the Model 99 and this round. Curently a gunshop here in OZ is marketing the 99 and 460 Steyr. Or I would have to go a custom 408 at more expense.

Give me your wisdom
</div></div>
Jas,

Where did you get the information from?

This is the only site (that I can find) whereas they advertise the M99;

http://www.nioa.net.au/CommercialView.aspx?catID=1925&level=0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NIOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BARRETT M99 BOLT ACTION RIFLE 416 $9675.00

BARRETT 416 AMMUNITION $12.50

BARRETT OPTICAL RANGING SYSTEM - LEUPOLD $3514.00
</div></div>

Cheers,
TheLongShot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys, who has any exerience with the Model 99 and this round. Curently a gunshop here in OZ is marketing the 99 and 460 Steyr. Or I would have to go a custom 408 at more expense.

Give me your wisdom
</div></div>
Jas,

+!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NIOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BARRETT M99 BOLT ACTION RIFLE 416 $9675.00

</div></div>

Cheers,
TheLongShot </div></div>

+1 on that mate !

They sure like to make a buck . About 4400 US approx for the Bravo plus import cost and GST ? Yes, they sure like to make a buck !

Let me do the sum about 10,000 aus for the gun plus the NF at around 2-2500 . SO say 12500 including rings. What gunsmiths have you been listening to that say they cant built a full custom big booomer for les than that ?? Even the big name tactical boys in the US could make one and still have change for the scope. As far as accuracy goes far better to get a guarantee from one of the name smiths with great references. My build came with a 3 shot inside 1" at 300 yards or it didn't ship ! It shot .66 of one inch ! That is worth everything to me. The further out you go the more your gonna be needing it ! If your in need of any ideas drop me a PM.

Cheers

DUH

The .416 is just a necked down .50 BMG so really the only problem I see is getting projectiles. it is not that hard to make your own. I think easier than .408. Although the .408 has a better following, much more data, and pretty much a "proven" cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .416 is just a necked down .50 BMG so really the only problem I see is getting projectiles. it is not that hard to make your own. I think easier than .408. Although the .408 has a better following, much more data, and pretty much a "proven" cartridge.</div></div>

It is also shortened down, so you will need a special die set and likely some neck turning equipment to get a piece of 50 brass into the shape needed for the 416. Also, projectiles have been limited thus far that will take full advantage of the case capacity. It seems that it was a good idea that went under-developed. Maybe there will be some folks who will push it forward to its potential, but in my mind, I can do better with the 375/408 distance wise, and do it with less money. Less for primers, less for powder, longer range, better selection of bullets currently...

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOWN UNDER HUNTE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys, who has any exerience with the Model 99 and this round. Curently a gunshop here in OZ is marketing the 99 and 460 Steyr. Or I would have to go a custom 408 at more expense.

Give me your wisdom
</div></div>
Jas,

</div></div>

Cheers,
TheLongShot </div></div>

+1 on that mate !

They sure like to make a buck . About 4400 US approx for the Bravo plus import cost and GST ? Yes, they sure like to make a buck !

Let me do the sum about 10,000 aus for the gun plus the NF at around 2-2500 . SO say 12500 including rings. What gunsmiths have you been listening to that say they cant built a full custom big booomer for les than that ?? Even the big name tactical boys in the US could make one and still have change for the scope. As far as accuracy goes far better to get a guarantee from one of the name smiths with great references. My build came with a 3 shot inside 1" at 300 yards or it didn't ship ! It shot .66 of one inch ! That is worth everything to me. The further out you go the more your gonna be needing it ! If your in need of any ideas drop me a PM.

Cheers

DUH </div></div>

With approximately $0.72 USD per $1.00 AUD;

MSRP .416 M99 of $4,200 USD / 0.72 = $5,823.30 AUD

<span style="font-weight: bold">That's about $3,850 AUD of difference!</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Now I just feel sick inside...</span>

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Cleaver at Margate had them advertised for $7500-7900 in that range if I remember right. Definately not the price listed with Nioa

Jas,

Did they actually have one in the flesh ? If not I think it may never eventuate. That is a cheap price too !

I'd love to know. Where is Margate ? Do you mean Cleaver Firearms ?

DUH

They had one left out of the stock they recieved, as I live up north I did not go to the shop. They had ammo @12.50 and the dies were a week away. The price was definately under $8000. It was advertised in one of the Australian Shooter mags a few months ago. Cleaver Firearms.

I still have a lingering interest in the Barrett, but am still undecided on which way to go as far as ELR goes. Either jump in clothes and all or ease in with a 300 WM and shoot the barrel out of it and decide then.??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They had one left out of the stock they recieved, as I live up north I did not go to the shop. They had ammo @12.50 and the dies were a week away. The price was definately under $8000. It was advertised in one of the Australian Shooter mags a few months ago. Cleaver Firearms.

I still have a lingering interest in the Barrett, but am still undecided on which way to go as far as ELR goes. Either jump in clothes and all or ease in with a 300 WM and shoot the barrel out of it and decide then.?? </div></div>

Jas,a

Do you realise what accuracy they are going to give you with the Barrett ? I have an email from one of the techs at Barrett( not on this computer ) and I am sure that they only guarantee 1.5 or 2 moa at 100 yards ! Would you pay 8000 for that. Most weatherby vanguads for 900 will out shoot it . In my book they are overpriced as hell for what they bring to the table. Then again there are those that need to ssay " I own a Barrett" Dont be fooled either by the FUTURE WEAPONS clip on YOUTUBE at 2500 yards "Cold Bore Shot". Video editing is great for your doping !

If you want a top notch 416 then go the Mcmillan. I can PM the number for the importer. Basically exactly the same set up as the TAC 50 but different cal. They flat out shoot and few will dispute that ! Maybe cheaper than the Barrett too ?

Maybe do some reading on the 338 EDGE. Very popular for all work sub 2000 yards and amazing accuracy when built by the right guy.

Check out www.defensiveedge.net . Shawn Carlock has truckloads of happy long range boys. I am pleased to say I am one too. PS there are some pretty neat clips on YOUTUBE with him behind the gun. Search NIGHTFORCE OPTICS and you should find most. You may have seen a whitetail clip from 950 yards floating around last year. Man I had it sent to me 50 times. Thats the man with the gun.

Cheers mate

DUH

I had a 416 built by my gunsmith. He still has it fitting a new muzzle break to the barrel. We used a Barrett M99 break on it but to me it was dumb having a McMillan action with a barrett break and he said it made it unbearable loud.

So he is going to design a new one and have it CNCed. I look to have it in a week or two. Its been a LONG project, about 9 months. The barrel looks like a truck axle!

I will post some pics when it shows up.

I have had zero issues with getting ammo from Barrett. Order it and it shows up a couple weeks later.

Can't wait to see it. I talked to a guy who says he shot a 24 inch group (10 shots) at 3000 yards. With his 416. ( he had a custom barrel from Lija for an EDM) Can't wait to see how yours shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait to see it. I talked to a guy who says he shot a 24 inch group (10 shots) at 3000 yards. With his 416. ( he had a custom barrel from Lija for an EDM) Can't wait to see how yours shoots. </div></div>

Do you know if he was hand loading and if so the details...this would seem pretty extraordinary with factory ammo?

I wanted to build a 416 Barrett, but have just about been completely convinced on the 375/408. With the data that is out, the .375 is King, as of now. I just wonder, as stated above, if the Barrett round can be made better with more R&D. (better projectiles)

Which brings up my next question that I have been searching long and hard for...does anyone KNOW the BC of the factory projectile...with real world experience to confirm?

Yes handloaded with lehigh bullets that were boron nitrate coated. I didn't ask powder charge.(or barrel length)

I am fairly sure the barrel was a 29" finished length plus break or suppressor. I think it was Navy contour Lilja with chamber cut by EDM, but could be wrong ?

DUH

I spoke with Bill at Barrett. He is a tech that helped design the round. He says BC of .73 on the .416. A couple of us aren't sure on that BC and think it flies better than .73 but to each his own variables and such.

Do a google search and go to the Barrett board. There are a bunch of other companies coming out with tips for the .416 with BC's around BC .9. One is awaiting proof of BC .95. Like all guns some shoot the factory ammo awesome, some don't. I think relaoding is always best but that's MHO.

I have visited the Barrett forum often...and have read on there that in Barrett's BORS system software the factory 416 round is listed at .73 BC but have also been told that it has been advertised as high as .95 BC which is the reason for MY confusion! Barrett's big 'claim to fame' on the 416 Barrett was 'supersonic beyond 2500 yds' which seems unlikely with a .73 BC....right? But possible with a .95 BC?

What I would REALLY like to know is what BC is seen from experience...???

Handloading is ALWAYS better and yes there are supposed to be better (higher BC of around .95) projectiles coming soon.

Dale Poling form elite iron had bill(edm) make him one and I know he had been using lehigh bullets.

To the Aussie guys - Cleaver Firearms in Qld has the Barrett in this months Aust. Shooter for $7715.And the Bravo for $8515.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the Aussie guys - Cleaver Firearms in Qld has the Barrett in this months Aust. Shooter for $7715.And the Bravo for $8515. </div></div>

Thanks Jas,

That's alot better than that NIOA listing.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Guys, you can have a 375 Chey-tac built for no more than it will cost to build a 308 using one of the top of the line custom actions. The brass Jamison is building will allow at least twenty rds per case, 2.25 divided twenty times is cheap. Smks are .90 each. I have a 338 Edge that is almost a clone to my 375. Surprisingly the recoil is not that much different between the two. Granted the 375 is in its infancy and is taking baby steps. This is going to be one smokin outfit when all the kinks get worked out. I shot the 375 without a brake and providing a long eye relief scope is used I could do it a lot. (17 lbs) Dont forget the 338/408s, the bullets cost the same as any other 338. The big difference may be shortened barrel life. If you want to hit things on yonder mountian first time every time w/o breaking the bank get Lawton or any good smith to build you one using any of the good barrels screwed on a Lawton, Stiller, Bat or any other good custom action that is up to the task, bed it in a Mcmillian or Manners stock and PRESTO you have 375 Chey for under 3000.00 Hmmmm, thats the same amount I have in my 308.

I here barrett is changing the 416. They are changing the case. I'm not exactly sure how much and why.it seems odd after they have guns alteady out unless <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span>they found a problem?

Jas, Speak to Andrew at Nightforce, he's the gun plumber for APRS, and has done some very good things with building a 375CT. (just found out that he is AussieArmourer here on the hide) re predator bullets post.

JJ

Anyone have any idea on when the changes will be released?

I hear the changes are so small I don't even know why they are changing it.The shoulder I hear is changing a few degress or something but the old ammo will fire in the new chamber,etc. Doesn't make any since to me................

On the Barret forum Shane says they are not changing it.

Ah I thought they'd be more substantial changes.

I spoke with the V.P. of Barrett Ammo, Danny Barrett (Ronnie's brother) and asked him about it. He said there will be no changes to the .416 Barrett round, case nor primer and the way the "rumors" might have gone wild is that they have finally found a manufacturer of the brass - so no more ".50bmg .416 Barrett" on the bottom. He also agreed it would be marketing suicide to change a round and realizes they are way back on production but making great headway and will be able to fill all orders soon.

...I hope so. I have 10 cases but know a lot of people have been waiting a long time for the 1 and 2 case orders to fill. Best wishes to all.

It surprised me that Barret didn't have any 416 dummy rounds to look at in their display case along with the 50BMG and 308 at the NRA show.Like they were ashamed of it.I'd think for a big show like that they'd be trying to show it off!

Steve

Mountain rogue what is the custom part of your EDM 416? Is the barrel custom (not an EDM?) How is it shooting for you? I hear the factory ammo is hot.

Jim call bill at edm. His chambers are 10 thousands over for the 416 due to the hot factory ammo. I'm sure he's using Fedderson barrels unless you send him onw to use.

C.K. I talked to Bill the other day and he told me that. I was just wondering if mountain had some other barrel.etc. and how was it shooting and how far had he shot it.

Jimmy, If you want some more info get a hold of dale poling from elite iron. I know he bought his own reamers and gauges and bill chambered the gun. I don't know which leihghs he's shooting but I know their leighs.