• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

42gr Eley contact BC?

Shawn1492

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Colorado
Hey guys what BC is everyone using for the new 42gr contact from Eley? I use a BC 145 for CCI standard velocity and get good results. Thanks.

In JBM, the listed b.c. for CCI Standard Velocity is .105

Granted, b.c. is velocity dependent....
I saw that when I was trying to find the contact BC. I’ve also seen as high as 185 on RFC forum. I Can’t remember where I found 145 but it matched up with my 100 yard drop and works out to 300 so I use. Cross wind has so much effector elevation beyond 100. I have so much to learn.

For CCI SVs I get an average MV of 1097 and my BC for is it .123

Thanks! This worked out great for me as well. I have done 100 & 200 with a 25 yd zero and I'm also at 2.2 @ 100 and 7.7/7.8 @ 200.

Is there an app where you can put in your DOPE for 25/100/200 and it'll calculate the BC/Velocity that meets it?

Thanks! This worked out great for me as well. I have done 100 & 200 with a 25 yd zero and I'm also at 2.2 @ 100 and 7.7/7.8 @ 200.

Is there an app where you can put in your DOPE for 25/100/200 and it'll calculate the BC/Velocity that meets it?

StrelokPro will allow you to tune either your velocity or your BC based on the actual dope you need to dial. If you want I can plug some numbers into my software and see what I get.

I’m not sure. I have never tried Strelok. I went straight to Strelokpro. I have several different ballistics programs and Strelokpro is by far my favorite.

I also use the Strelok Pro. Though it doesn't calculate a particular BC for given velocity and conditions, using the manufactures published BC (which is in Strelok's data base) then entering the other info (e.g. distance, temp, humidity, altitude, etc.) I get a good calculation for the speed and drop at distances. It works well for me . . .

. . . even if it is "ugly". ;)

PS: Check this article out if you haven't already seen it:

Last edited:
Yeh I'm using the Geoballistics app right now, was about to pay the $15 to upgrade it. Though I just bought a Sig Kilo 3000 BDX and it comes with a basic app... which doesn't tell me the charts, but it tells me the adjustments when I rangefind against my target... There was some talk about it interfacing directly with a full Applied Ballistics app on the phone, so I was holding out on buying anything until I found something that talkd to my Kilo3000.

I also use the Strelok Pro. Though it doesn't calculate a particular BC for given velocity and conditions, using the manufactures published BC (which is in Strelok's data base) then entering the other info (e.g. distance, temp, humidity, altitude, etc.) I get a good calculation for the speed and drop at distances. It works well for me . . .

. . . even if it is "ugly". ;)

PS: Check this article out if you haven't already seen it:

This is on my pad but my phone app has it too. All the way at the bottom right if you open one of those icons that say BC or speed you will put in your yardage and your actual dope. Then hit calculate either by velocity or BC and it will re calculate that based on your dope. Then you just click use this BC or velocity and it recalculates all your dope based on that. It has always been dead on for me.

3D582495-B266-4A11-A954-449956B07C01.png

Really, it seems to me, the only way to get an accurate BC to put into one's ballistic app is to get measurements from the firing of your own gun. This way many of the variables with regard to a particular barrel and cartridge load are eliminated (kinda like finding the best load when precision reloading).

Here is what I got on Strelok after putting in your actual dope and truing your BC. This is based on an altitude of 1000 ft though. Does it look about right?
5B022A9A-CCD1-40DD-9E1E-82FEE398B380.png

Really, it seems to me, the only way to get an accurate BC to put into one's ballistic app is to get measurements from the firing of your own gun. This way many of the variables with regard to a particular barrel and cartridge load are eliminated (kinda like finding the best load when precision reloading).

That’s the whole point of that feature on the app. You get a starting point for your velocity and BC. Then you go out and fire the ammo out of your rifle. Based on the actual dope you get with your rifle you recalculate your BC and velocity for your rifle and generate a new range card.

I use 200 and make sure everything lines up at 100, 150 and gets close at 300. Like you said variations in MV play hell with a 22lr at that range. So far it has been pretty accurate for all my rifles. I have found Strelokpro to be the most user friendly software I’ve tried. I also use the reticle feature quite a bit. When shooting matches I hold over a lot instead of dialing and using that feature makes finding the correct point of aim really easy.

Went out to officially test everything today... though it was rainy, the 10 shots at 100, I took the median of what I think should land. I had originally dialed around 7.9 up, but it looks like it was more around 8.2. My range is also a little funky where the 100 yard is 99 yards, and the 200 is 203.

Eley Target
1.9 @ 99
7.2 @ 203

CCI SV
2.2 @ 99
8.2 @ 203

The range is at 150ft above sea level I think.

I have a Sig Kilo 3000 BDX and I have the Geoballistics App... and they return different charts. Not sure what other variables are taking into play... trying to figure it out.

-- From futzing around with a million numbers, (no strelok pro, using shooters calculator)
CCI SV
I have .115 BC, 1070 FPS, 1.76 sight height

For Eley Target
I have .150 BC, 1105 FPS, 1.76 sight height

Last edited:
My numbers match up with yours for Eley target and they are consistent with the numbers I got with Eley Target. The first one is the numbers for Eley target. Compare them with the numbers I get with Eley Contact. I verified all these numbers as well and they are accurate. It’s a pretty significant difference.

6C513308-BFBF-436B-BA2D-0424958B18D4.png
D4F285A2-5A09-41EE-9145-0D37CD1A6F74.png

Wow that eley contact looks pretty promising. What bc velocity are you entering to get that chart?

I'll have to look for some. I see these bulk boxes of 300 rounds and then I see the normal 50 round boxes. And some say semi auto.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
I’m using a velocity of 1090 and a BC of .174. The numbers are accurate too. It seems like that extra 2 grains of weight make a significant difference in the BC and it is getting the same or higher velocity. We have been using the Force in our semi auto rifles with some pretty impressive performance as well. If you check LAX ammo you can get a 500 rd brick for $48 which is pretty cheap for decent ammo.

Reactions: littlepod
I’ve shot it both ways. It shoots about the same suppressed and unsupressed. I don’t shoot matches suppressed so I do most of my shooting without one.

I’ve shot it both ways. It shoots about the same suppressed and unsupressed. I don’t shoot matches suppressed so I do most of my shooting without one.

How much tighter are the Contact groups vs Target @ 100/200? Just curious since Target is the same price. (Sorry if already answered)

I shot a little bit of the target a few months ago and wasn’t impressed enough to order more. I believe I shot one box at 50 and tried one box at distance. It was similar to Wolf ME at the time if I remember correctly. Wolf shot well but honestly most everything we put in our rifles has shot well with some ammo shooting very well. It seems like the two Tikkas I have just really like the 42 grain bullet and shoot it very well. My sons rifle really shoots the SK Pistol Match Special really well too but we both hate the lube and we were more than happy to find something that shot as well especially since it is cheaper. Nothing like loading your magazine and feeling like you just handled an eel.

I shot a little bit of the target a few months ago and wasn’t impressed enough to order more. I believe I shot one box at 50 and tried one box at distance. It was similar to Wolf ME at the time if I remember correctly. Wolf shot well but honestly most everything we put in our rifles has shot well with some ammo shooting very well. It seems like the two Tikkas I have just really like the 42 grain bullet and shoot it very well. My sons rifle really shoots the SK Pistol Match Special really well too but we both hate the lube and we were more than happy to find something that shot as well especially since it is cheaper. Nothing like loading your magazine and feeling like you just handled an eel.

Lol. That's why I have 1000 rounds of SK+ in my safe still. It shoots well but if I forget to bring a rag I'm searching trashcan for old targets to wipe my hands on.

I need to go do some 6x5s with this new 30lb torque. It isn't raining right now and I might have time to make it to the range in an hour. The 200 yard berm got destroyed by a tree falling down during the storm this past weekend so they're closing the take tomorrow. I had to spike target in the dirt leaning on a branch.

I’m going to the range Friday just to check everything out before a match I’m shooting on Saturday. I will try to shoot some groups at 50 and 100. I also want to do the same with the 10/22 I just built using the Eley Force. I still just can’t wrap my head around how well that rifle seems to shoot.

I’m going to the range Friday just to check everything out before a match I’m shooting on Saturday. I will try to shoot some groups at 50 and 100. I also want to do the same with the 10/22 I just built using the Eley Force. I still just can’t wrap my head around how well that rifle seems to shoot.

The Ruger competition 10/22 I bought my fiance outshoots my Tikka.

Went out to the range and did 100 & 200 with Eley Contact and Eley Target. New lot of Eley Target, and did a clean test at 99 yards and 203 yards which is where the target hanging is at.

Zero @ 25 for both.

New Lot of Eley Target
2.0 mils at 99
7.6 mils at 203
This gives me a BC of .145 & MV of 1090.

Eley Contact 42gr
2.2 mils at 99
7.8 mils at 203
This gives me a BC of .152 & MV of 1060.

For 100 yards, I did 5 shot groups, and they both shot the same around 1.1" to 1.8" groups, averaging 1.5".

For 200 yards, the groups really opened up. I did 3 strings of 10 as I was testing out my zero. 5-6 inch groups. My shot on the 4" gong hit about 80% of the time. I guess technically still good enough for most 22 rimfire matches.

Went out to the range and did 100 & 200 with Eley Contact and Eley Target. New lot of Eley Target, and did a clean test at 99 yards and 203 yards which is where the target hanging is at.

Zero @ 25 for both.

New Lot of Eley Target
2.0 mils at 99
7.6 mils at 203
This gives me a BC of .145 & MV of 1090.

Eley Contact 42gr
2.2 mils at 99
7.8 mils at 203
This gives me a BC of .152 & MV of 1060.

For 100 yards, I did 5 shot groups, and they both shot the same around 1.1" to 1.8" groups, averaging 1.5".

For 200 yards, the groups really opened up. I did 3 strings of 10 as I was testing out my zero. 5-6 inch groups. My shot on the 4" gong hit about 80% of the time. I guess technically still good enough for most 22 rimfire matches.

4 inch gong at 200! I need to practice more. I thought I was doing good with the 8 inch at 200!