• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 43.5 grains Varget and 175 grain Nosler Custom

redrider308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Ashland,Ohio
Looking to see if anyone has experience with this load.Remington brass with medium rifle primers.Shooting out of a Remmy 5r with 11.25 twist an 24" in length.If you could please help me out with a muzzle velocity # an drop chart please.Thank you for any help in advance....Keith

Re: 43.5 grains Varget and 175 grain Nosler Custom

Redrider....... I have a 5R, went to the range today.... After reading alot I decided to do a ladder test to find its sweet spots. I found a spot between 43.4 and 43.7gr of Varget with 168 SMKs. Didnt chrono them but they grouped well there. Im loading a few at 43.5 and going to see how they do together. I also tried IMR 4895 and found it likes 43 gr with the 168s. Thats just my piece though

Re: 43.5 grains Varget and 175 grain Nosler Custom

Thanks TiDavis for your input.I`m a big Varget fan.Shoot it out of every rifle I own.I`ve made up 5 different loads in groups of 3 rounds.And found that the 43.5 grains will leave me with 1 ragged 1/2"-5/8" hole at 100 yards.Sub moa I can`t complain with a bone stock action an barrel.