• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44-40 win question?

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Guys help me out. I started to reload 44 Mags for my Dad today. I came across something odd. He gave me two to three boxes and some in a bag. My question is because no one in my family owns a 44-40 is will they fit into a ruger single action revolver. Im not using them again i just want to make sure my Dad looks through what he has so there are no accidents. It's my dad or my uncle so im a little worried if they have more and dont realize it. Thanks for the help

Re: 44-40 win question?

The rim is larger on the 44-40, so it would not chamber in a 44 mag revolver. Plus, the base of the case is bigger than the 44 Mag, so I don't think it will even make it into the chamber. I think there are a few other features that prevent this.

Ok thanks. I have no idea where he got these cases then. My Sierra reloading manual doesn't have any info on the 44-40. I should have thought of meassuring the 44 cases. Thanks again just made me nervous they were not paying attention to what they were using.

Thanks
    Joe

The base diameter of a 44-40 win is around .471.
    The base of a 44 Rem mag. is around .460.
    So a 44-40 is .011 larger at the base and should jamb in a 44 Rem mag chamber.
    However a 44 Rem mag. might go into a 44-40 chamber as the 44-40 is .459 at the shoulder and the 44 Rem mag is .460 . pretty close.
    Length is the same at 1.248 .

Bullet dia. is smaller with .44-40. The .44-40 started life as a black powder round(.44 cal. 40 grns. black powder)It is also known as the .44 WCF(Winchester Center Fire)and is the "parent" cartridge to the all the .44's we use today.
    DO NOT TRY TO INTERCHANGE THE TWO!
    Respectfully,
    LG

He is not trying to interchange the two just concerned it may happen accidently.