• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 mag 300 gr xtp using W296 or H110

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
So I tried loads of 19, 20, 21 and 22 grains of W296. 19 I believe is the max load listed on the hodgdon/winchester site. 19 felt anemic(magnum wise)and I noticed tan unburned residue in case. 20-21 was stout. I loaded 2 rounds at 22 grains one using the top and one the bottom cannelure. Top cannelure was stout and with the bottom cannelure I had a sticky extraction. I am assuming that with more bullet in the case this caused a higher pressure. Has anyone gone beyond 22 grains? Im guessing I am reaching the limit and should back off?

Re: 44 mag 300 gr xtp using W296 or H110

What kind of firearm are you shooting this load through? I'm tempted to assume a Redhawk or Super Redhawk since you can seat the bullet at the second cannelure (although some Dan Wessons and Anacondas will accommodate the longer OAL cartridges). If you are using anything but a Ruger, I'd highly recommend sticking to book loads, and even then don't exceed them by much without doing some research on the "10.9mm" load (44 mag/ 300 grain seated in the second cannelure).

For my Super Redhawk I load the 300 grain XTP over 20 grains of 296 and seat it in the first cannelure from the nose. Fired cases <span style="font-style: italic">fall</span> out of the chambers with primers displaying rounded edges. My groups are consistently 2" at 100 yards (from a rest, scoped). Velocity from my 7 1/2" barrel is a tick over 1300 fps and shoots clean through tough hogs (Piney Woods Rooters) weighing up to 475 pounds. With performance like this, I see very little reason to overload.

Do yourself a favor and get a 454 Casull if you feel the 44 isn't enough gun. While it is unlikely you can manage to get enough 296/H110 in a 44 mag case to actually blow up a gun, you are still going to dramatically accelerate the wear on your firearm and shorten case life.

Mid length raging bull, One of the reasons I enjoy reloading is to stray from plain jane factory loads & pushing the envelope is fun & scientific. I am not trying to overload on purpose but Ive read much conflicting data with heavy bullets and H110/W296. I did a simple ladder test and wanted some input. If I had a 454 Id push the envelope with that, however I dont want a 454. So how did you settle on 20 grains since that is "technically" over the max?

I have several reloading manuals and 20 grains was actually book max in one of them. After mic'ing several fired rounds at that loading I determined that case expansion was <span style="font-style: italic">less</span> than most factory loads, so at least in my revolver 20 grains is very safe. Also there can be lot-to-lot variations in powder, so whenever I crack a new keg I always drop down to 28 grains and work back up from there.

One thing you might try is "neck sizing" your brass. By only sizing down the portion of the case actually contacting the bullet, you can gain a little more case volume, which should help reduce pressures. It also often results in improved accuracy. My best 100 yard group ever with my SRH (1 5/16") was with brass I had only partially resized.

Man 22 gr. of 296/H110 behind a 300gr. xtp is HOT! lol

I loaded my Taurus M44 up to just over 19 gr. of H110 and backed off to 18.3 for my final load. My gun will not take the beating the Raging bull/Rugers will but I don't hunt anything around here in south, Ga. that needs more, No grizzlies here. And it's shooting Ragged holes at 50yds as long as I keep it together. My gun is scoped also.

My pet load is

Fiocchi Brass ( had alot from factory ammo over the years )
Case Lenght- 1.28 trimmed
OAL- 1.604
Bullet- 300gr. xtp
Powder- 18.3 gr. H110
Primer- WLP

19 gr. is max seated to deepest cannelure and I believe hornady list 21gr. in there book to longest cannelure. Search it on google there is a ton of info on the .44 magnum and XTP loads.

And seating to the deepest cannelure does give a good bit more pressure reason for the difference is max loads.

good luck

hard cast bullets build less pressure than jacketed also. I'm sure its about equal to 21 Under a jacketed bullet

There was an article in Handloader about extra heavy .44 loads for ruger Redhawks only. I have it at home somewhere but I don't know if I can find it. According to a google search it was the april may 2010 issue.

I know there were some 300 grain ztp loads.

that article was available online but was under construction when I checked a few days ago. OK so heavier bullets less powder but lead/cast more powder? I also posted a few months back about reloading for the 310 oregon cast. At 21.5 grains I noticed a few flowing primers so I backed off to 21 grains. From that experience and my 22.0 gr 300 xtp test I need to back off to 21 or 20 for the xtp? I do appreciate your input guys