• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 mag brass shrinking in length after shot...

jester5900

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2009
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have a 44 mag I'm reloading for and noticed after firing some rounds is that the cases are shorter than before they were loaded. Brass trimed to 1.279 loaded and fired, remeasured and they are now between 1.271 and 1.274. Shorter than original sized length. Whats going on? Is this normal?

Thanks

Re: 44 mag brass shrinking in length after shot...

1. I have never in my life trimmed 44 Magnum brass and you should never have to.

2. When a cartridge is fired, the case expands to fill the chamber so the length shortens. The more sloppy a chamber is, the more it will shorten. When you resize it, it will lengthen again.

Re: 44 mag brass shrinking in length after shot...

This is the normal , and you can see it more in bottleneck rifle cartridges depending on how loose the chamber is set ie. running 223 in a 556 or Wilde chamber can shorten 3 to 5 thousandths after firing .