• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 mag for rossi ranch hand.

Smcarroll

gun nut
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Montana/Wyoming
I already load for a couple ruger wheel guns and they like it hot. How hot can I go for my new mares leg? I am thinking 300 grain sierras, they are my standard anti bear load.

I wouldn't run a Ruger only load in it, but a S&W safe load would probably be all right. You gotta remember that gun is basically an 92 Winchester.

The 92 action is about the strongest lever action around and a lot of people run full boogie .44 mag loads in them.
Go on over to Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com ? View forum - General Discussion and you will learn some amazing stuff.

I run some pretty stout loads through my .45 Colt Henry with no problems at all, but I mostly run 255-285gr bullets and a stout charge of H110 or N110.
Lets just say that they go as fast or faster than .44 mag...

You may also like this,,http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Leverguns

Last edited:
Remember that Rossi chambers their '92 in 454 Casull. I shoot Ruger-level 45 Colt/ 300 grain loads in my Rossi carbine with fine accuracy. (Both my 45 Colt and 357 Magnum Rossi like heavy-for-caliber bullets, BTW.) The actions are quite strong, and a book load with 300-310 grain bullets should do no harm. It's not likely that you'll enjoy shooting a whole lot of them, however...

Thanks for all the info guys. I have been wanting a mares leg for a while now, its going to be my ATV gun. I plan on working up some cast loads for plinking and making the full boogie 300 gr for bear defence.