• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 Mag Load

ATLRoach

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
Marietta, GA USA
I picked up some Barnes XPB 225gr 44Mag bullets. I was wondering if anyone has any loads for them with W296/H110. All that is listed in the Barnes Manual #4 is AA#9 and Enforcer. These are as long as my 300 XTPs and will compress the hell out of mild charge.

Re: 44 Mag Load

According to Quick Load, using W296 you would need 20 grains to reach 1355fps with the Barnes 225gn XPB. That is 35232 Psi which is just under the SAAMI spec 36000. Quick Load can be a little conservative, but excercize caution non the less. Note that is is a compressed charge at 112% of usable case capacity. Those powders are fairly slow burning for a pistol and only about 75% of the powder charge will have burned before the bullet exits the muzzle. Can you say ....MUZZLE FLASH

All of the above was based on a 6.5 inch barrel. The specs don't get that much better with an 8 inch barrel. 1418 fps, but still 76% of powder burned. In either event, start with 19 gr and watch for signs.

No warranty expressed or implied...use at your own risk...

Check out Hodgdon's Load data for some charges. I like H110 in the 44 mag. Work up to max, and you should be able to go a little over max since it's a Barnes X. Also, email Barnes and they will give you detailed reloading info for that bullet (or call since you know what powder).

H110/W296 is not compressible....ball powder.
If one tries, the bullet can squish, get pinched in the chamber, and a pressure spike results.

AA#9 and Enforcer are the same powder, as near as I can measure, look, and sniff.
They are not compressible either.... ball powder.

For light bullets in 44 mag, try 800X.
It will compress.... big flakes.
800X is in a class by itself for getting high velocities with low pressure.
But it is a pain to meter, and some big burning flakes can burn a hole in the paint on the hood of a car:(

Thanks guys.. I'll more than likely call Barnes on Monday but i figure I would ask here 1st.

Clark - I use 800X in my 10mm and it get a 180gr slug moving quite nicely. That might me a very good option.

Another really good one to look at is 2400 if you see it sitting on the shelf somewhere.

H110 is really good stuff, I'd be surprised if you can't find something excellent for 44mag with it. I started with Hodgdon's site for loads.

Assume Jacketed Lead Nose Flat Point 240gr in an 18" Win '94 Carbine. What load works there? I have 200rd of Mag-Tech 240gr that doesn't perform to my liking. I'm thinking of breaking it down and reloading with a different powder.

The Sierra #4 Rifle Manual likes H110 and 296, up around 20.0gr to a 23.0-24.0gr max.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assume Jacketed Lead Nose Flat Point 240gr in an 18" Win '94 Carbine. What load works there? I have 200rd of Mag-Tech 240gr that doesn't perform to my liking. I'm thinking of breaking it down and reloading with a different powder.

The Sierra #4 Rifle Manual likes H110 and 296, upa asound 23.0-24.0gr max.

Greg </div></div>

Are you asking for a load? The half jacketed 240's are one of the most common 44cal bullets, there's a plethora of loads out there.

H110, 800x, 2400 AA#5 AA#7 are all good powders to look at. IIRC the Hodgdon hot load for 44mag and 240 jacketed is 20.5gr, but I would check that to verify before you load it.

EDIT: 20.5 is the pistol load to start, 23 is the starting rifle load. 24.0 is the max rifle load of H110