• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 Mag rifle load

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I've got a winchester 94 in 44 mag on the way from Acehigh (thanks John) and am looking for a hotter load for it. It's going to be a close-in bear gun (Think Alaskan browns...) so I'm looking for heavier loads for heavier slugs, preferably 300grn+ JSPs. The rifle's got a 20" bbl, so I should be able to get some pretty respectable velocities (for a 44 mag)

Any help would be appreciated

Re: 44 Mag rifle load

One thing I didn't realize, I have a couple of OM 45LC Ruger Blackhawks. I picked up a Winchester 45LC AE model, Pre-Safety. I was going to start reloading for them and began looking at reloading data.
You can load 45LC ammo hotter for a Blackhawk pistol than the lever 45 rifles. I'm not going to seperate ammo, so I'm going to load for the lever rifle and shoot them in the pistols. FWIW krw

For hotter loads using the heavy bullets, stick with H110 or W296. I just got done loading a bunch of rounds for my Blackhawk using the 240's and W296. Powder was clean burning and quite accurate. Be careful though, as there is only ~1gr difference from min to max on these powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I didn't realize, I have a couple of OM 45LC Ruger Blackhawks. I picked up a Winchester 45LC AE model, Pre-Safety. I was going to start reloading for them and began looking at reloading data.
<span style="font-weight: bold">You can load 45LC ammo hotter for a Blackhawk pistol than the lever 45 rifles</span>. I'm not going to seperate ammo, so I'm going to load for the lever rifle and shoot them in the pistols. FWIW krw </div></div>

How does that work? Odd, seems like it'd be the other way around. Rifle vs. wheelgun...
confused.gif

As I understand it the rifle, if modern era, is fine as are the Blackhawks and T.C. contenders. It's the older revolvers and other brands chambered in .45 Colt that you have to keep pressures low.

I load .45 Colt for a Model 94 and a Blackhawk using H110 and W296 for high pressure and more typical powders for the low vel. rounds.

.44 mag should be less tricky since it is a well understood high pressure cartridge and always has been.

Yes, I like H110, as well. I shoot the 240 XTP and the 180 HP in my Marlin. Be sure to have all your cases the same length. Otherwise, you get a little variation in your crimp and it effects accuracy and velocities can change.

We have a load that I have used on hogs and carried in bear county. 320gr LBT heat teated cast lead. over 21 gr of 296. I think we were getting 1450 fps out of our 94 Trapper. Did great on hogs and never had to test it on bears. Same load over 300XTP's work good too if you want a load that will expand. Do not shoot it is older guns like the Md 29 smith. Hold on to it too. It is a little hotter than most factory stuff. Brock