• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.44 mag rifle

hairy spotter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
just got a new .44 magnum lever action rifle for the wife. I bought a case of cheap bullets, but will be reloading as soon as I burn through that first case.

What powder and primers are good for this caliber in a rifle with a 19" barrel?

(not very tacticool, I know)

Re: .44 mag rifle

Man, I love my Marlin 1894 44 mag lever gun. My stand by load is 24.2 grains of H110 under a 240 grain Hor XTP pushed with a CCI 300 primer. It runs 1760 fps in my 16" (I think 16"). It's a touch over max, so work up to it. It shot 3/8" at 50 yards with a Weaver 1-3x20 scope.

My Marlin shoots a 240 at about 1900 FPS with 24.0 grains of Win 296. I love mine. My .44's are my favorite guns.

Yeah we shot it. It is very light on the recoil, even with just a steel butt stock pad. She can dump all 11 rounds through it really fast.

Not shot it for groups yet, not really interested in groups with this thing. It is meant as a back up gun while hunting, and also to be able to make some cast bullets.

The H110 and W296 (same stuff) loads recommended are full-house, not like what you're shooting now. Further, they can't be reduced safely; see caveat at Hodgden's website, reloading section. Alliant 2400 is a slow powder that can be adjusted to moderate loads.

For medium loads, Unique, Universal and Power Pistol are all good powders of similar capability.

Your other consideration is whether you want to shoot cast or jacketed bullets. Heavy (300 gr.), hard-cast bullets over a slow powder are excellent for hunting. Lighter (250 gr.), softer, lead bullets are appropriate for moderate velocity loads.

I have used handloads from a friend to get started wth my lever carbine; then tried Rem 180gr RNSP commercial loads, and Mag-Tech 240gr RNSP loads. Mine likes the Rem a lot better. My carbine has a Limbsaver Slip-On pad, mainly for added LOP, but the recoil tames down quite a bit too, and a dot scope, and since our district was recently opened up to centerfire rifle, it's my goto deer gun. Minute of venison out to the limits our wooded landscape permits. Commercial hunting loads are clearly good enough for my purposes, and it just doesn't make much sense to do load development for a hunting gun. Plinking, I use cheapo cowboy action .44 special loads, and the magazine holds an extra round.

With 240 grain half jacket hollow points, I use IMR 4227. I'm shooting it in a Win #94 1960s vintage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and it just doesn't make much sense to do load development for a hunting gun. </div></div>

I disagree. It is nice to know your load is accurate to take a longer shot or a pin-point shot when needed, no matter the caliber. I bagged a turkey with my 44 load at 260 yards. Drilled 2 of them with 3 shots, but only recovered one. I don't think I could have done it without knowing this load shoots well and knowing the velocity. Plinking loads, I don't do a load work up on. But all my hunting loads are worked up.