• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.44 special as a hog round

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
I know I could easily use the .44 mag in my Thompson Contender and that would be plenty for a well placed shot on a 200 lb pig.

But, my question to you is, what's your take on the .44 special as a pig round or small deer round.

Distance, <100yards.

Re: .44 special as a hog round

Pig, get closer like 50m

Deer, that's about as far as I would go.

Well, the farthest shot I'd take with a scoped TC on a rest is 100 yards, and only with a good angle.

But my question is about the cartridge.

Pistol bullets bleed off speed at a rapid rate. A 44 mag has to be short range, too; it's just a little longer than the special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be OK if you can run real fast. </div></div>
YOUR OPINION!
grin.gif

The running of the pissed-off pigs.
eek.gif

I remember Sheriff Jim Wilson (you know the guy) writing about shooting a pig through the ears because the furnished ammo wouldn't penetrate. As a reminder, if you're gonna' shoot one of these things, use a heavy, hard-cast lead bullet. Some kind of expanding thing and you'll wind up shooting it through the ears.

I use a 44 Mag with a 240 grain Hornady XTP in a Marlin lever gun for hog hunting. It works pretty good. If you load a 44 Special, you should be able to push a 240 grain around 1000 fps, which is about 500 ft/lbs of energy. You didn't say what barrel length, but I assume it's going to be longer than 10". Plus, it's probably chambered in 44 mag, so you should be able to get a higher pressure round than a normal 44 special. I would not use lighter than a 240 grain, and would even consider a 300 grain, if you have the right twist to stabilize. I would think the special would be a little light for a big pig, but decent for smaller pigs. If you are chambered in 44 Mag, I would heavily lean that way. But if 44 special is your cup of tea, then go with a heavy bullet and push it as fast as you can get it. If you went with a solid, lead cast, or flat point bullet, this would allow for the deepest penetration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a 44 Mag with a 240 grain Hornady XTP in a Marlin lever gun for hog hunting. It works pretty good. If you load a 44 Special, you should be able to push a 240 grain around 1000 fps, which is about 500 ft/lbs of energy. You didn't say what barrel length, but I assume it's going to be longer than 10". Plus, it's probably chambered in 44 mag, so you should be able to get a higher pressure round than a normal 44 special. I would not use lighter than a 240 grain, and would even consider a 300 grain, if you have the right twist to stabilize. I would think the special would be a little light for a big pig, but decent for smaller pigs. If you are chambered in 44 Mag, I would heavily lean that way. But if 44 special is your cup of tea, then go with a heavy bullet and push it as fast as you can get it. If you went with a solid, lead cast, or flat point bullet, this would allow for the deepest penetration. </div></div>

Hey thank you so much. I've encountered this before where I ask a question and get disjointed, asymetrical answers, and not the direct answer.

Thank you for giving me the info I need. I do have a 14 inch barrel. I thought I could get away with a milder recioling round, but seem not safe.

Thanks once more for your opinion. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I agree with Chad. My 44 mag rifle is an old Winchester 94. While I have carried it hog hunting here locally, the LONGEST shot is probably 40 to 70 yards. Where I hunt for hogs is pretty thick brush country.

Like Chad I use a 240 grain half jacket rifle bullet and a hot load of IMR 4227 (>25.5 grains). I keep my HOT rifle loads marked so they don't get into a pistol. They would probably be way hot for a BlackHawk or S&W 29. Well... hotter than I want to shoot in a pistol of mine anyway. My chrono is reading 1800fps as a ballpark velocity at 10 feet in front of the muzzle. Off the top of my head I don't remember if my rifle has an 18 or 20" barrel. It's the standard Model 94 Winchester from 1969.

When I was young and living on the farm we raised hogs for our own use. We used to feed them small lumps of coal in the winter to keep them from getting sick. They can crunch coal like you or I crunch ice in a drink. Remember shot placement is going to be key. If you look straight on at a hogs head there is a little sunk in place just below the center line of the eyes in the middle of the head. That's where we used to shoot tame hogs with a 22 rifle. But we could move around to get the right angle. You won't have that luxury. Good luck.

Victor,

I'm pushing mine at 1760 fps with H110 (I don't remember the charge off the top of my head). I have taken several pigs with it, the furthest being about 110 yards. I have taken a turkey with it from about 220 yards. I need to laser it to get an exact distance. I know I was holding about 8 MOA above the turkey and connected. Made 2 out of 3 hits on 2 birds, and dropped one in it's tracks. 2nd one fell, but then flew off. I couldn't believe it! I was just checking feeders when I came up on a group of them. Here's a pic of the bird.

Turkey-44mag.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

I'm pushing mine at 1760 fps with H110 (I don't remember the charge off the top of my head). I have taken several pigs with it, the furthest being about 110 yards. I have taken a turkey with it from about 220 yards. I need to laser it to get an exact distance. I know I was holding about 8 MOA above the turkey and connected. Made 2 out of 3 hits on 2 birds, and dropped one in it's tracks. 2nd one fell, but then flew off. I couldn't believe it! I was just checking feeders when I came up on a group of them. Here's a pic of the bird.

Nice shootin' and nice rifle.
Turkey-44mag.jpg
</div></div>

If you're shooting it out of that TC, then load the 44Special with a hardcast 240SWC and a case full of H110/W296, pretty much just like a 44Mag, because that is what it will be. A slightly shorter, slightly less powerful 44Mag. ~1200fps.

If you're shooting an older S&W HE or something similar, then probably Unique or Herco with the same bullet for about 1000fps.

Chad,

The longest hog I have taken with that rifle was less than 50 yards. The other was closer than that. Maybe 25 to 35 yards. The largest was just over 200 pounds the other a little over 150. A lot of the heavy brush makes it difficult to see anything very far at all. In some places it gets so dense that 10 feet is difficult. 2 hogs in the wild is all I've taken. Both with that rifle.

Was watching a doc on Discovery(?) yesterday, and the subject was the spreading epidemic of highly aggressive feral hogs invading areas of human habitation, mostly in the Southeast.

The impression I got was that we should be seeing them with some regularity up here in the rural Northeast, and right soon, as well.

In my mind; shooting at feral hogs must be something along the lines of stopping a freight train. Ya gotta have something powerful enough to knock them clear off the tracks.

I too have a Win '94 .44Mag, and would consider it adequate to the task, but might want something more peppy yet. Might want my Brother's Marlin 336 .35Rem.

After trying .44SPL in the '94, I think all they'd really accomplish would be to piss 'em off worse'n they already are. Where's that tree stand when ya really need it?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still wondering about the cal as a viable pig round for 200lb and less. </div></div>
Everybody's dancing around the same commentary. It might work, but not every time.

There's a Hog Hunting forum on LongRangeHunting that will give you a much better idea of what you could be looking at. You're not always going to be able to pick the fight or the battleground. If things don't go right the first time, you won't have any real back-up using a marginal bullet in a single-shot handgun. You can be dealing with dangerous game. You may be looking for Porky Pig, but Ol' Snort may be looking for you. You need something to knock the hell out of the SOB, and a single-shot pistol won't always provide that. Take note of the guy who shot one in the shoulder with a 12 ga. slug, and THEN the thing charged him.

Before importing any pigs up north, you'll need a healthy growth of Kudzu. Shouldn't be much of a delay; the stuff grows really fast.
whistle.gif

We have popped quite a few(over grown swamp rats) with everything from 22lr(yea after 10-15rnds) to .357 and 30-06.

They scatter like flies. No one has yet to be charged intentionally. They have very poor eyesight and might run directly to you out of stupidity. Kinda like those man eating armadillos.

as with anything it's all about shot placement. 44spl is plenty if you can get close enough to get a good shot. What they lack in vision they make up for in hearing.

Good luck! Just remember to drag them close to a tree so they won't puncture the tractor tires.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still wondering about the cal as a viable pig round for 200lb and less. </div></div>
Everybody's dancing around the same commentary. It might work, but not every time.

There's a Hog Hunting forum on LongRangeHunting that will give you a much better idea of what you could be looking at. You're not always going to be able to pick the fight or the battleground. If things don't go right the first time, you won't have any real back-up using a marginal bullet in a single-shot handgun. You can be dealing with dangerous game. You may be looking for Porky Pig, but Ol' Snort may be looking for you. You need something to knock the hell out of the SOB, and a single-shot pistol won't always provide that. Take note of the guy who shot one in the shoulder with a 12 ga. slug, and THEN the thing charged him.

Before importing any pigs up north, you'll need a healthy growth of Kudzu. Shouldn't be much of a delay; the stuff grows really fast.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

I always have a side arm when hunting. In case I can't rechamber fast enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you carry a rifle? </div></div>

Only when rifle hunting/shooting.

But, this question pertains to the .44 spl. round as used in the single shot handgun, called the Thompson Contender.

Again, a side arm is carried whether I use the TC or go out with a rifle.

BTW- I went out to the deer lease today, and I lasered the area where I hit this turkey. The tree they were behind was 257 yards! So, they were about 260-265 when I hit this bird with the 44 mag. I can't believe that.