• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

444 dies for loading 44 mag?

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
Considering how close these two cartridges are in outside dimensions, excluding length obviously, do you think you could load 44 mag rounds with 444 Marlin dies?

Case head is the same at .514, Marlin bullet dia of .4305 vs .432 for the 44 mag, case mouth dia of .4530 for the Marlin vs .456 for the 44 mag. The last dimension being the largest difference and only 3 thousants.

I understand that the Marlin has a deep extractor groove but that should't affect sizing of the 44.

Guess you'd have to screw the seater way down, which I haven't tried to see if you could seat on the shorter case.

Re: 444 dies for loading 44 mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess you'd have to screw the seater way down, which I haven't tried to see if you could seat on the shorter case. </div></div>
This would be the big problem. You might be able to size the 44 Mag case with the 444 FL sizer, but I don't think you will be able to seat a bullet on the 444 seating die, it's too tall/long. You can not screw the seating stem down far enough to seat the bullet. There's about an inch difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess you'd have to screw the seater way down, which I haven't tried to see if you could seat on the shorter case. </div></div>
This would be the big problem. You might be able to size the 44 Mag case with the 444 FL sizer, but I don't think you will be able to seat a bullet on the 444 seating die, it's too tall/long. You can not screw the seating stem down far enough to seat the bullet. There's about an inch difference between the two. </div></div>

I almost said this, but since I didn't have first hand experience I kept my fingers shut...

FWIW, if you can get the sizing die screwed in deep enough, and the expander die deep enough to flare the case mouth, a Lee bullet seating die for 44 mag is under 10 bucks from Grafs.

A full 3 die set costs 25.

While one could probably screw the seating stem down far enough, one could never make the roll crimp necessary for magnum loads with slower powders. A heavy crimp is mandatory for complete ignition with some powders...and to keep the bullets in place under magnum recoil. AG

Thanks guys, guess I'll break down and buy some dies.

And since you really need a good crimp on the heavy bullets in the .44 Mag...assuming use in a revolver...A set of the Lee dies with the "factory crimp die" is your best bet. JMHO