• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 44mag 240gr bullet not a good flier-Why

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
Went to high desert gun club today. It is in a canyon which is windy, I was shooting Barry plated premium 240gr bullets using 7.2grs Titegroup powder in my Henry big boy carbine lever gun. I am going to estimate MV at 1600fps. The target was a 12 inch steei hanger at 200yds.
The wind velocity and direction changes frequently there. After several center hits The wind changed and my big bullet moved about 5 inches right. I actually hit the 16 inch target next to the 12
Apparently big fat bullets have lots of surface area a catch, lots of wind. What say you experts.

Website says 1850fps so he’s got some room to grow. Big slow moving kite that catches wind. Never shot my 44 mag past 100 and most things I shoot are under 100 but it makes a mess on whitetail at about 35 yards and a 230g JHP

thank you all for your replies. Previous to shooting 200yds the Henry 44mag was only shot at 25yds. I just needed to know what happens in the real world at longer distances with big fat bullets. I will never again demean my 55gr 223 and 556 bullets because the wind pushes them off target at extended ranges. those little screamers beat the hell out of the big fat ones. The Rooster was right " big slow moving kite that catches wind".

Reactions: RTH1800