• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 44mm vs 50mm in vortex hst and vortex viper

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
Ok, so I like the features on the new HS-T 44mm, would I notice much diff between this and a regular viper hs 50mm?
This will be my biggest scope purchase money wise and could use some input. I want side focus, prefer both turrets exposed and want some decent glass.

I guess my question is - by going with the 44mm will I wish I had went with the 50?
I plan to use this just for target shooting. I'm a relative newbie - going on a 308 and plan to shoot as far as I can make hits as my skills progress.

Last edited:
I've got two HSTs - shot them as far as 1100yd.

Its definitely no uberoptik, but I didn't feel under-scoped either.

Can't speak to the difference in brightness between the 44 and 50mm objectives, maybe the 50mm is a hair better in low light situations...but if the HST has the features you want, buy with confidence.

Just came back from a hunt in central Nebraska. Used the HS-T on a 700. Filled my tag in the early morning, pretty dim conditions and at just over 300 yards. Scope gave me a nice bright picture and was easy to pick up the reticle on his broad side. Nice crisp image out of the HS-T even in those low light conditions. Light tranmission was certainly enough for me on that shot.

Trevor B.

Last edited: