• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45-70 govt for the kicks of it 400 yrds

Jimmichanga13

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2023
Madera CA
Just for the kicks of it I bought a Marlin Ruger Stainless trackers Gun Lever SBL.
So I’m looking for some loads that will accurately get me out there accurately, maybe 400 yards .
The 45-70 has a long history behind it .
Any go to loads for this gun?

Yep love the looks of that new marlin. On my to get list.as 45-70 round, tons of ways you can go. Mouse fart load to t Rex load and all in between. If for hunting 200 300 yrds. It really shines for close range brush gun. The further you go that rainbow trajectory comes into play. Bpcr has competitions to 1000 yards. What's intended purpose?

I loaded a Hornady 350 gr FP under some IMR 3031 for an Alaskan hunt 26 years ago in my Marlin Century Limited III. It shot well out to 400 yards, but I considered it a 200 yard load. I'm sure there are better loads but mine took a caribou on the run at 50 yards so I was happy with it. Maybe try Hornady's 325 gr FTX.

Reactions: wolfbitetactical
Open sights or scope? If scoped, regular scope or scout scope?

I have a JM Marlin Guide gun with a 2.5x Leupold scout scope on it; it kills on both ends. With Reloder 7 I’ve gotten 405’s to 1850 fps and 325 FTX’s to 2025 fps. It shoots three shots in 1 MOA with the 325. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but it’s not.

I hope to get my Miroku/Winchester 1886 to 600 yards in the next year. First, I have to figure out how to lighten the very heavy trigger and what peep I want to use. I’m not a fan of tang sights and there’s that stupid safety in the way of all the good veneer sights, so I’m considering the Providence Tool Lyman 21 reproduction. I’m trying to figure out if it even has the elevation for that distance.

As far as powder, it’s hard to beat AA5744 for light to medium loads and RL7 for heavy loads. IMR4198 is also good for heavy loads as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Also, I know this thread was for cast pistol bullets, but many of the recommended companies also make 45-70 bullets. I’m a fan of gas checked for anything over 1600 fps. If you’re going for dangerously game, you can’t beat a 450+ gas checked with a max load of RL7. If it won’t go through what you are shooting, you need a 50BMG.

The .45-70 is one of those cartridges that would be capable of killing well beyond where it’s really practical to deal with the drop/wind in a hunting situation. That doesn’t mean I’ve not thought about popping a mil/mil setup on my #1 in the interest of R&D. Currently have an old vari x-iii 1.5-5 on it.
Stupid fun round from mild to wild, cast, jacketed, patched, powdered, whatever, and mine is gonna get some tree stand time this year.

Open sights or scope? If scoped, regular scope or scout scope?

I have a JM Marlin Guide gun with a 2.5x Leupold scout scope on it; it kills on both ends. With Reloder 7 I’ve gotten 405’s to 1850 fps and 325 FTX’s to 2025 fps. It shoots three shots in 1 MOA with the 325. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but it’s not.

I hope to get my Miroku/Winchester 1886 to 600 yards in the next year. First, I have to figure out how to lighten the very heavy trigger and what peep I want to use. I’m not a fan of tang sights and there’s that stupid safety in the way of all the good veneer sights, so I’m considering the Providence Tool Lyman 21 reproduction. I’m trying to figure out if it even has the elevation for that distance.

As far as powder, it’s hard to beat AA5744 for light to medium loads and RL7 for heavy loads. IMR4198 is also good for heavy loads as well.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the powder recommendations. I’ll be shooting boar mostly but would like to take some longer shots. I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4 X20 on it. It’s the pig scope

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4 X20 on it. It’s the pig scope

Be careful with normal scope positions, there’s quite a bit of muzzle rise and recoil with max loads. You won’t need a max load for boar, remember, the 45-70 with a 405 going 1300-1400 fps out of a Trapdoor or Sharps almost completely wiped out our bison population. I would use a 405 gas checked cast bullet for boar, but I would not run it over 1600 fps; why beat yourself up. The cool thing about the 45-70 is you can start with a 405 and AA5744 around 1200 fps, switch to RL7 for 1500 fps and above, and stop when the recoil is all you want to handle. You will see a wide range RL7 loads from 35-47 grains with a 405 that give you the option to choose whatever velocity you want up to max. My guess is that a 405 with a max charge will put you in danger of getting hit by the scope if you are not careful and for sure will not be pleasant at the bench. You definitely need a more upright position on a bench rest, do not lean over into that gun. I find I typically need my own home made lower stool as all the stools at my range are too high for the correct position to shoot a gun like this.

Reactions: camocorvette
Be careful with normal scope positions, there’s quite a bit of muzzle rise and recoil with max loads. You won’t need a max load for boar, remember, the 45-70 with a 405 going 1300-1400 fps out of a Trapdoor or Sharps almost completely wiped out our bison population. I would use a 405 gas checked cast bullet for boar, but I would not run it over 1600 fps; why beat yourself up. The cool thing about the 45-70 is you can start with a 405 and AA5744 around 1200 fps, switch to RL7 for 1500 fps and above, and stop when the recoil is all you want to handle. You will see a wide range RL7 loads from 35-47 grains with a 405 that give you the option to choose whatever velocity you want up to max. My guess is that a 405 with a max charge will put you in danger of getting hit by the scope if you are not careful and for sure will not be pleasant at the bench. You definitely need a more upright position on a bench rest, do not lean over into that gun. I find I typically need my own home made lower stool as all the stools at my range are too high for the correct position to shoot a gun like this.

Good insight. I’ll be careful with the scope. It has about an 4 inch eye relief so that will help.
Plan to mount scope today.
I want to see how far I can shoot this gun accurately. Just curious that’s why asking for load info.

Reactions: KYAggie
I've got a new Ruger Marlin 45-70 SBL. Beautiful. smooth lever action rifle. Spent some time reloading for it and came to the conclusion that given the huge ghost ring rear sight, this gun, out of the box, is 100 yard max setup for a 405 gr bullet load. Unless you have scope with a reticle that matches your bullet/load, good luck hitting shit past 100 yards.

Don't need high velocity 1200 to 1300 fps with cast bullets 420 to over 500 gr.
In 1879 at Sandy Hook, the US Army tested the 45-70 500 gr blackpowder loads out to 3500 yds, and 2500 yds...read the details,... after the test the US Army declared the 45-70 Springfield good to 1900 yds for its soldiers, against the indians, or other enemy. Many old rifles had ladder or tang vernier sights from Win 44-40, lever, Sharps, to my old 98 mauser 7mm was graduated to 2000 meters. Many yrs ago I took the 45-70 to way past 1000 yds, to more than a mile on the high desert....I like an elevated position, and shoot at landmarks above the target, like a small juniper tree, walk the bullets to the target...and sometimes you see the bullets skip off the desert floor 2 or 3 times like a flat rock off the surface of water. Breaking rocks across high cliff canyons is fun watching them fall down the cliff into the stream below. Need alot of empty space...and watch out for rattlesnakes, as they are many times...silent and well as concealed. Bears will sometimes check you out, while shooting.

Don't need high velocity 1200 to 1300 fps with cast bullets 420 to over 500 gr.
In 1879 at Sandy Hook, the US Army tested the 45-70 500 gr blackpowder loads out to 3500 yds, and 2500 yds...read the details,... after the test the US Army declared the 45-70 Springfield good to 1900 yds for its soldiers, against the indians, or other enemy. Many old rifles had ladder or tang vernier sights from Win 44-40, lever, Sharps, to my old 98 mauser 7mm was graduated to 2000 meters. Many yrs ago I took the 45-70 to way past 1000 yds, to more than a mile on the high desert....I like an elevated position, and shoot at landmarks above the target, like a small juniper tree, walk the bullets to the target...and sometimes you see the bullets skip off the desert floor 2 or 3 times like a flat rock off the surface of water. Breaking rocks across high cliff canyons is fun watching them fall down the cliff into the stream below. Need alot of empty space...and watch out for rattlesnakes, as they are many times...silent and well as concealed. Bears will sometimes check you out, while shooting.
Very helpful. I’m hoping to reach out about 4 to 500 yards accurately with this lever gun. It’s just for fun to see what I can do with it. Appreciate your history.

Reactions: 45-90
I’m hoping to reach out about 4 to 500 yards accurately with this lever gun. It’s just for fun to see what I can do with it

I have no doubt you will get to 400 yards with your 45-70. Earlier this year, I got to 600 yards with my Marlin 336 Cowboy 30-30 with a 1-6 Burris scope. I was using Hornady 160 FTX hand loads. I hit the target in the photo below 4 out of 5 shots. I wish I could put videos on here as I have some cool slow-mo videos taken through my spotting scope of the bullets going down range and impacting the target. Strelok indicated that with a 200 yard zero, I needed to put the scope power on 4x to be able to use the bottom of the vertices post as a aiming point at 600 yards. It was spot on. Now that I know it’s potential, I’m trying to see how far out I can get with open sights. I‘ve sense removed the scope and installed a Williams receiver sight with target knobs and a Skinner Guide Partridge blade front sight. This will give me a some idea of what I can do personally. After that, I plan to see how far I can get with my 1886 and a good old 405. Gotta love this hobby

IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2258.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg

Reactions: 45-90 and Modoc
I have no doubt you will get to 400 yards with your 45-70. Earlier this year, I got to 600 yards with my Marlin 336 Cowboy 30-30 with a 1-6 Burris scope. I was using Hornady 160 FTX hand loads. I hit the target in the photo below 4 out of 5 shots. I wish I could put videos on here as I have some cool slow-mo videos taken through my spotting scope of the bullets going down range and impacting the target. Strelok indicated that with a 200 yard zero, I needed to put the scope power on 4x to be able to use the bottom of the vertices post as a aiming point at 600 yards. It was spot on. Now that I know it’s potential, I’m trying to see how far out I can get with open sights. I‘ve sense removed the scope and installed a Williams receiver sight with target knobs and a Skinner Guide Partridge blade front sight. This will give me a some idea of what I can do personally. After that, I plan to see how far I can get with my 1886 and a good old 405. Gotta love this hobby

View attachment 8235001.
View attachment 8235007 View attachment 8235009
I used a 1- 4 X for long shots, if a scope was installed....I have used 45 Colt for 600 yds shooting 16" Win 1894 ...have some heavy 350 gr loads for it. The 45-70 in marlin, and Ruger#1 for long range...but most 1000 plus shooting done with the marlin in 1972..cast 420 gr bullets, at moderate velocity...waiting for the impact...still waiting...finally the bullet arrived.
Here is a photo of 1886 45-90 Win chronographing some loads 1810 fps 500 gr cast was fun for awhile...but the recoil is pretty heavy with the steel crescent butt plate...1200 fps is pleasant and all ya for LR target. The 45-90 is great for shot shells and multi ball loads.
Then there is the Rossi 454 16" shoots 240 gr at 2300 fps & 300 gr at 2000 fps from a 16" barrel.
Also fun 400, & 405 gr resized .458 bullets in it...500 gr jacketed did not stabilize...but a fun a experiment. Still enjoying these old lever guns, along with the modern ARs...
And remembering those old timers insisted on ladder sights to shoot their 44-40 levers way out there. So you can too, it's alot of fun, for those just starting and those who have been doing it for awhile. Nothing like plinking with a real patent 1873 Colt SAA in 45 Colt caliber at 200 yds while waiting for your 50BMG barrel to cool.

Attachments

• 20220812_163023.jpg
    20220812_163023.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220810_201249.jpg
    20220810_201249.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: KYAggie and Modoc
300 gr Nosler bullet with 50.0 grs of RL-7, Good load without beating you to death.
So is 57 gr RL 7 in 400 gr to 420 gr in Ruger #1.
Make sure ya have the older ball seat throated Ruger #1 that seats the bullets way out...for even 500 gr. And you'll want something to pad your shoulder. It'll shoot through a 5 gal bucket full of gravel, like a 223 through a can of pop.

So is 57 gr RL 7 in 400 gr to 420 gr in Ruger #1.
Make sure ya have the older ball seat throated Ruger #1 that seats the bullets way out...for even 500 gr. And you'll want something to pad your shoulder. It'll shoot through a 5 gal bucket full of gravel, like a 223 through a can of pop.
Shot a Ruger #1 in 45/70 for many years ran a lot of hot 400 gr loads now I'm old and wore out and try to keep the Heavy loads under 2000 fps.

Nothing like plinking with a real patent 1873 Colt SAA in 45 Colt caliber at 200 yds while waiting for your 50BMG barrel to cool.
That’s exactly what I do, shoot my levers while my bolt gun cools. I have a Rossi 16” 44 mag and a EMF Heritage 45 Colt. The EMF loves a stiff load of H110 and a heavy cast bullet. I’ve run up to 370‘s in it and they shoot great. I tried 320 SSK’s in my 44, but they won’t quite stabilize. I’m in the process of changing out the huge bead front sights on them to a small bead and I might try a blade as well. They would make fine hosts for a ladder front sight. I’ve shot a ladder sight for years on my 1898 30-40 Krag and I use to be able to hit bowling pins at 400 yards with it. Now, I’m getting older and my eyes with the ladder sight are not as good, which wouldn’t matter as much with the pistol caliber levers as I likely wouldn’t shoot much past 300 yards with them anyway. I need some better glasses for open sights, or peeps on anything I want to shoot long range.

A solid go to load is 65g of FFFg Swiss, WLRM primer and a 405g cast bullet lubed with SPG. It will remove an NRA Silhouette from the stand at 500m with great aplomb. 😁

I would have to go back and check my notes, but I’m using a book load of IMR 3031 to push the 405 hardcast out there In my 1886 extra light rifle.

Reactions: 45-90 and KYAggie
A solid go to load is 65g of FFFg Swiss, WLRM primer and a 405g cast bullet lubed with SPG. It will remove an NRA Silhouette from the stand at 500m with great aplomb. 😁

Once you get a 405 moving, it takes a lot to stop it and when it hits steel at whatever range, you know it.

Some one once said, “The only government I need is a 45-70 Government”. I can see the wisdom in that statement.

Reactions: Modoc

View attachment 8235001.
View attachment 8235007 View attachment 8235009
Thanks so much for the information. I’m really excited about working this gun and possibly getting it out to four and 600 yards. Great pictures. You’re right this is a really fun sport.