• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45-70 Gov't loads for falling block action?

jet_lagged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
WA, The Evergreen State (KBFI)
Looking for some loads for .45-70 Gov't for my Sharps falling block reproduction, so 28K psi limit.

I tried book loads of IMR-4895 to get it sighted in.

I would like something of reduced power for shooting paper with 405gn cast lead at 100yds, maybe using pistol powders? And then something for shooting steel at longer ranges with 500gn.

Before I go out and add Trailboss to the shelf of powders, perhaps someone has had good luck with something I already have?

I have seen internet loads using N320, but would like to hear from somebody with first hand experience using pistol powders, as they don't seem to be in the books.........

Thanks.

On the reloading shelf currently are:
pistol type:
VV N320
Acc 5
Win 296
WC820

rifle:
Acc 2230
Acc 2460
IMR-4895
Varget
RL-17

Re: .45-70 Gov't loads for falling block action?

Use IMR 4198. Do it by the 40% rule. That would be 28 grains with no other changes to primer, case, bullet, and seating depth. Mild and fun to shoot. I alway put a specific amount of Dacron in the case to take up the space. Works and shoots accurately.

I use Accurate 5744 in my 1885 hi-wall for silhouette shooting.
29gr with 300gr lead, Rem 9 1/2 primers
24.3gr with 405gr lead, Rem 9 1/2 primers.
No fillers. 5744 isn't position sensitive.

Recoil is light enough to run a 40 rd course without a sore shoulder.

Don't think I'd try pistol powders in that big case. They burn too fast.

I have limited experience with smokeless in my Shiloh. I went off of the hodgdon manual using h322 and 350gr tsx's. Accuracy was incredible with all loads tested. Right around MOA for three shots with open sights.

I prefer black powder though.

By the way, who's reproduction are you shooting? According to shiloh, their 74 will take modern loads and even warranty a rifle used that way.

Italian made EMF/Pedersoli Sharps. Proof marked/tested for 28K psi, plus 30% safety factor, not that I plan on testing the margins.

I've got enough smokeless around the house that I really don't want add black powder to the shelf.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been loading for the 45-70 for over ten years. The three powders that will achieve "traditional" velocities in the 45-4.1 are 5744 (already mentioned above), 4759 imr, and Unique. Of the three, I've had the best results with 4759, but Unique is very accurate too.

I have heard just as many people who are enthusiastic about 5744, but it has never done as well for me as 4759. Those two powders are really designed to perform well in large cases at (relatively) lower pressures.

My Pedersoli has never met a load using 405 grain cast bullets and IMR 3031 it didn't like. I shot out to 385 yards off crossed sticks with the combo and kept groups on a 10" X 12" target. Cases are so clean I doubt I'll bother tumbling them before reloading again. Recoil is negligible.

22.7 gr IMR SR4759, 500gr Hoch RN, dacron filler. Runs 'em out 'round 1400. Lyman Black Moly lube results in almost zero leading.
Been shooting that load in a 34" Shiloh for 6 years now.