• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45 acp / 45 auto rim can you use the same dies?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    just got a few hundred 45 auto rim for a smith 625 and never loaded auto rim can I use the 45 acp dies? I think I can but have not had time to try
    thanks
    Bill

Re: 45 acp / 45 auto rim can you use the same dies?

Lumpy Grits is right on the money. When you start loading AR cases, take a look at loading some 250 grain .45 Colt bullets. This really upgrades an already excellent cartridge for uses other than short-range paper punching.

Back when the .44 and 41 Magnums were new and expensive, lots of fellows worked with heavy bullet loads in the plentiful and cheap 1917 Colts and Smiths. They found that the good old Auto Rim cartridge with heavy bullets would do anything you could reasonably ask of an outdoorsman's revolver.

Enjoy! Jim...

You bet you can!! Ditto on the heavy bullet. Sot out of my 625's I was impressed. Recoil not bad & great accuracy too. Just get the correct shell holder & have fun.

Great
    Thanks for the info , any suggested loads for the 250 gr projectiles?

Re: 45 acp / 45 auto rim can you use the same dies

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...any suggested loads for the 250 gr projectiles? </div></div>
    Jacketed or lead?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jacketed. I do not shoot lead.
    Thanks, Bill </div></div>
    I don't shoot .45 and don't have any loads for you. Alliant lists +P ACP loads with jacketed bullets and PowerPistol. Heaviest bullet listed:

240 gr. JHC Fed 150 primer 7.1 gr PP 890 fps 22.2 kPSI

Maybe a bullet mfr can provide better info.

no problem,
    Just picked up some 250 gr long colt bullets that I will try from the 625 smith
    Bill

Steven
    Thanks I have gotten the acp dies to work with the Dillon 550 B the shell plate has a good releif in it
    Thanks Bill