• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45 ACP with Bullseye.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2006
NJ
www.spdcrossfit.com
Does anyone have a load for the .45 ACP with Bullseye powder? I'll be using the Remington 230 GR FMJ roundnose bullets and Winchester Large Pistol Primers. I will be doing some load development, but I don't have time because I have to load up 400 rounds for this weekend. I have the M&P .45 Handgun. I know the recommended max is 5.7 GR. Thanks in advance.

Re: .45 ACP with Bullseye.

I use 5.2.
Gives me 840 fps over my chrono.
Oddly, I see a wide variation in Bullseye loads and speed from many sources.

CP

Be sure to take your cleaning gear with you.

Bullseye is a decent powder for a lot of pistol cartridges. And because of it's density it's a cheap powder to shoot. But it's the nastiest powder I have ever shot in over 35 years of handloading. I still have some. I use it as an alternative some times. Just be prepared to do extra cleaning on your whole pistol. The unburned powder kernals get everywhere.

6.0 grains of Vit N-340 under a 230 FMJ will get you 880 fps out of a 1911 or a Glock 21. And it's probably the cleanest powder I've ever shot in a 45acp.

4 gr Bullseye under an Oregon Trail 200gr LRN is a nice, soft shooting practice load in both my Sig 220 and Kimber.

+1 on the cleanup afterwards though.

Thanks for the help guys. This will just be just for training so I don't really care too much about velocity as long as it will cycle and it is relatively accurate. My department used to give us a box or two per month to train with, but we are having a hard time even getting ammo for qualifications, so I decided to start reloading.

I bought 8LBS of Bullseye because that is what my friend recommended and I really couldn't find too many other powders. I was looking for AA #5, but couldn't find any. What are some of the better powders for the .45 ACP? I also found some HP-38, but I was told bullseye was better and more accurate.

I use the 4 to 4.2 grains of bullseye for 200 grain lead and plated bullets.

I started with bullseye for my Les Baer and Para Ordnance guns.

However I quickly switched to WW-231. Shot just accurate and alot cleaner.

I have not loaded for 45 in a long time but I was reloading alot for 40 S&W.

I prefer these bullets for cheap and "clean" reloads.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

of course they used to be alot cheaper several years ago.

I was actually able to find 1K of the 230 GR FMJ bullets at HSM (hunting Shack Munitions) for $100. I just hope they are good. That was by far the cheapest I could find.

For the 230 grain .45 I have always used 5.0 grains of bullseye and pretty happy with the results

I loaded ip 200 rounds with 5.2 GR. I'm going to the range this Sunday or Tueday and see how it shoots. I still have to load up 200 more so I'll try 5 GR and see how they shoot. The powder does look dirty, but as long as it shoots well, I'm happy.

My full sized sig p220 r takes 4.6 grains of bullseye to push a 230 lrn to major power factor with room to spare

3.8 Bullseye is an accuracy standard for bullseye (the target discipline, not the powder) loads.

bullseye was all i ever used if i recall correctly 4.2gr for plinking.

Howdy

Just an update. I tried some with 5 GR and some with 5.2 GR of Bullseye and the 5 GR was slightly better so I'll stick with that. Thanks for the help.

Try 5 grs with FC-150 primers. They cut groups in half in my guns.

In a 5" S&W 1911, 5.3 gr of bullseye with a 230 gr Winn fmj, gives me 830-840 fps at about 10' from the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 5 grs with FC-150 primers. They cut groups in half in my guns. </div></div>

I'll have to give them a try once they are available.