• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45 colt

Haven't looked at a Long Colt case in a while but I remember it being rimmed. That might be less than fun in a mag fed semi auto.

Reactions: Sum Ting Wong
Feeding in an autoloader may be a little dicey, but it does have a small rim with respect to case body dia. And the bolt diameter would not fit a regular bolt. Blow back could be worked out.
But here's how I'd do it. I'd machine the case head to the same as the 450 bushmaster with an extractor groove, I the grind the lathe tool made of tungsten carbide on a Dimond grinder, cuts factory like extractor groove in the 45 Colt. Now a 450 bushmaster bolt will fit your ultered 45 colt case. ..the 45 Colt auto.
Now you can run up the pressure to 450 bushmaster levels in your 45 Colt, if ya want...no heavy crimp this headspaces off the case mouth...ya have a "450 bushmaster lite"...or cut the bolt recess with a carbide tool to fit .505" 45 Colt rim but only have .014" wall left on the bolt OD to ID not good for pressure, but the rest of the bolt would have orginial integrity, so normal 45 Colt loads would probably work.
I could do this ...all I need is a barrel and a spare 450 Bushmaster bolt. It'd feed from Bushmaster mags, with a block. But I already enjoy the 450 Bushmaster.
So how do ya want to proceed? 😃

Thanks guys
Was just idle thinking on my part
Guess I could just load the 450 down to 45 level

Fixed the title for you Cas6969:)
There used to be a guy who made 45 Win Mag pistol barrels for AR 15 ...almost the capacity of the 45 Colt...something like "the AR Guy".I believe. ..easier or buy his barrel, but then too, you could take a 45 Colt reamer to the 45Win Mag barrel.
By the way for subs I have loaded the 45 Colt with 500 gr resized 458 Hornady bullets, but they wouldn't stablize in the slow twist of the Winchester 45 Colt 16" barrel.
But they do in the Faxon 16 twist Bushmaster...A Bushmaster with a 16 twist shoots everything from 185 to 502 gr. If ya hand load it's cheap, with bulk 45 acp bullets , cast bullets, pulled bullets, and will shoot any .451, .452, or resized.458 bullet available...the 16 twist. And if ya want power over 3000 ft /lbs is available. I cast the gaschecked 502 gr bullets they have more close range energy than most sub loads, with free bullets,and a hoot to shoot...but pick up speed with the 502 gr to 1350 fps and recoil goes way up ...so get the Magpul Limbsaver recoil pad.
The Choice is yours on what ya want, but some choices might require more money and experimentation. I know experimenting with different ideas costs time and money, I have a. full machine shop and lots of ideas, and spend thousands on those ideas, it's part of my shooting hobby.

Reactions: Atomic_Lobster
Anyone try a .45 colt in an AR platform
Try a Rossi 92 or one of the Italian import Winchester copies. I have a 16” barreled Rossi and it’s pretty fun to shoot and handy out in the field. The heavy Bear loads from HSM, the Buffalo Bore Heavy or the home brewed equivalent is pretty close to standard pressure .45-70 loads in a much lighter and handier but still manageable package then a .45-70.

If you’re dead set on a AR platform I would definitely suggest .45 ACP or rounds based on it.

Try a Rossi 92 or one of the Italian import Winchester copies. I have a 16” barreled Rossi and it’s pretty fun to shoot and handy out in the field. The heavy Bear loads from HSM, the Buffalo Bore Heavy or the home brewed equivalent is pretty close to standard pressure .45-70 loads in a much lighter and handier but still manageable package then a .45-70.

If you’re dead set on a AR platform I would definitely suggest .45 ACP or rounds based on it.
I have the 16" Rossi in 454 Casull, 240 gr at 2300 fps 300 gr at 2000 fps.
I shoot 45 Colt in it, standard and high pressure loads in 400 grs. The 45 Colt case will take the 454 pressure in a 454 firearm. I milled the head of the 44 Mag, the 45Colt, and the 454 casull case. Surprisingly the 44 Mag was the thinest in the case head, the 45 Colt was .010" thicker than the 44 Mag. The 454 was the thickest .010" thicker than the. 45 Colt, all Winchester cases.
Single ball and 2 ball loads plus shorten cut down .410 shot shell are fired in the 454 lever gun...Its versatile..

No one's confused it with the Schofield in about 120 years, the love of God, stop saying .45 Long Colt! :D
Yes it's the 45 Colt...period...there never was a "long colt"...there was a 45 Scofield. But it was short and weak, but you ask for 45 Scofield at the hardware store. The real cowboys wanted the full 40 gr of black powder behind their heavy 250 gr bullet. The 45 Colt..The most powerful hand gun until the 357 mag.
I have a real Colt SAA made by Colt...it says imprinted on the barrel .45 Colt. That's all it Ever said since 1873. And you load only 45 Colt ammunition in the revolver.
Ya don't call a 30-06, a "30-06 long", just because ya don't want to confuse it with the 308.
Most guys who own a real Colt 45 are always get irritated by people who insist on naming it wrong. Do not be that guy.
45 Colt, 45 Colt, 45 Colt, ....
Or I'll call your 30-06 a "30-06 long!"

• Haha
Reactions: JS8588
45s.jpg