• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .45 guru's

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
Question for the .45 pistol gurus:

Was at the indoor range last night and noticed that my .45 acp would not lock up into battery completely. I load my own rounds. I use R-P brass trimmed to SAMMI specs, a 200 gr SWC Suter's Choice lead bullet and 4.0 grains of Bullseye. Brass is virgin. Crimp is set at .468. Bullets are seated at standard length according to the Lyman manual.

Pistol is a Citadel 3.5" model. I know it's a cheap pistol, but I wanted something to start out with.

Anway, don't know if I need a heavier spring or what? I cannot screw the taper crimp die down any farther w/o getting out a wrench, and think that I do not need to crimp anymore. I looked at some springs on Champions Choice and I have no idea what I would need, if I need anything at all.

Please chime in if anyone has any experience with what I have described. Thanks.

Re: .45 guru's

Will it lock up when manually cycled without ammo? Manually cycled with factory ammo? Manually cycled with your ammo?

Eliminate variables one at a time to identify potential suspects.

I had that problem once and found with semi wad cutters the bullet must be seated to the edge of the case mouth where the bullet starts to go into its taper, What i am trying to say is, check your bullets for rifling marks, the bullet is most likely jamming into the lands.

It will lock up w/o ammo, with factory ammo, must be my ammo. I am going to check the seating depth again, and check the chamber for built up crud. Thanks for the suggestions.

take a really good look at the throat, hood, ramp, face of the slide and the extractor, double check your ammo, check lockup with a piece of spent brass.

Might be you need to spend some time polishing the above mentioned spots. The number of 1911s that just plain would not feed anything but factory hardball and got cured with a bit of judicious polishing is astronomical.

Also helps with FTFs and 3-point bind.

since it is working fine with factory ammo, I suggest you tinker with the crimp---you can thank me later
smile.gif

I had the same issue with a Glock 21 running a KKM barrel, HK USP, and a Colt Gold Cup. I loaded a batch of 230 gr. hard cast RN to the same OAL as factory 230 gr. RN. None of the pistols would go into battery on the majority of the rounds unless I gave the back of the slide a smack. The problem was that the bullet was going into the lands. I had to seat them a wee it deeper into the case and all was fine. I believe the problem with cast is that they are sized .452" vs. copper jacketed bullet diameter being .451"

Gonna tinker with seating depth and crimp first. If she still isn't locking up after that then I'll have to look at polishing some parts. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

it may be that your running your expander down too far and when you crimp there is still some bulge in the case preventing the slide from closing completely. You will also need to set your bullet a bit deeper as others have mentioned. cast bullets make no difference. You just can't push them as fast without pressure signs. Take your barrel off,make a round and then let it slide in, If it falls all the way in your good. If you still have problems then it's polishing time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I use R-P brass trimmed to SAMMI specs</div></div>

I have reloaded .45 for over 25 years and never even considered trimming a case..

What is the loaded length of your rounds?

Shorter 1911's are notoriously finicky. They are also sprung heavier than a 5" model. Try increasing your powder charge to 5 grains and see what happens.

Seat the bullet so there is only 0.03" to 0.05" of the 0.452 bullet section sticking out of the case. You crimp dia. sounds fine. Also either try more powder or lighter slide spring. Both will accomplish the same task. Seems like your loads are too weak.

Paul

One thing I forgot to add, you can check the handload length by removing your barrel and dropping in a round. If it is flush or just below, they're fine.

Paul