• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45 progressive press reccomendation?

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi guys, i have been looking at getting a progressive press for the 1911 and was wondering if anyone had any that stuck out particularly well.

thanks!

Re: .45 progressive press reccomendation?

My Dillon XL650 is just about the top of the list as far as I'm concerned. The only other one that's higher on the list would be a 1050 if you have a lot of military brass. The 1050 swages the primer pockets on every piece. Ad an automatic brass feeder and your set.

+1, what he said! My 650 Dillon eats .45ACP components like there's no tomorrow. It's not hard for me to knock out 1k in about 4 hrs without too much effort and I'm sure others are much faster. You can make quality ammo at a good pace on a 650. You'll never regret stepping up to one if you like to shoot that 1911!

Go with the Dillon 650 and never look back. The Dillon is warrantied for life and they will replace just about anything on the machine if it breaks for free.

The Hornady isn't a bad choice- plus 1000 free bullets, which offsets the $370 LnL Progressive price to about $0-100 dollars when buying Hornady XTP's on the market.

brianenos.com has a review or two between the 550 and H LnL.....if I remember right

The 650 does seem nice and gets the reviews. I personally didn't care for the 550b, liked the Hor. free bullets was a plus. Meet up with some shooters that have a few diff models, or a reloading store that has them setup properly......for a demo

just trying to add some color, other than blue.

Dillon 1050 I have 3(45 acp, 9mm, and 308) of the those presses and can crank out 1000 plus a hour. Also like the square deal have 2 (40sw and 44 mag) of them and like them alot. The thing with dillon is they have the very best CS and a unbeatable warranty. you cant go wrong any of their presses.

Dillons are great presses.
For the "non-production" reloading I do for pistol, I went with a Lee Loadmaster and the damn thing actually works quite well. I was actually recommended to try the Lee by a friend that is "true blue".

Depends what your budget is.

A Dillon 650 will run about 600
A Dillon 550 will run you about 450 ready to go
A Hornady LNL AP will run about the same

None of those come with a case feeder which will be a couple hundred more for the dillon or 300 more for the hornady.

Certainly the Dillons reputation is hard to beat. But if I was just going to be loading 45 I would go with the Lee Pro 1000.

Before everyone jumps on me I've owned a Lee Pro 1000 for the last 2 years. It costs 95 bucks shipped to my door then about 150 now ready to load with a casefeeder. 300 rounds an hour is easy to do and with .45 it is very reliable.

I recently sold mine and got a Dillon 550 in part because I got a great deal on it and in part because I simply wanted something different. I've been using the dillon for about 2 months now and honestly my lee was just as good if not better than the 550 for reloading .45 ammo.

The Dillon is definitely built better overall but the ammo its cranking out is the same.

All that being said if I were going to load more than one caliber the lee is not what I would go with. I've been told its bad with non-straight wall pistol cartridges and its kind of a pain to change calibers but they are cheap enough you can just buy one for every caliber! The don't reload rifle at all.

I haven't had a chance to play with a 650 or an LNL AP yet but i'm contemplating selling the 550 and getting the LNL or the Dillon.

Both of which will cost you about the same

I guess I should say that I do shoot IDPA, STEEL, and USPSA. 500 to 1000 rounds a month is what I usually shoot. The Lee had no problem keeping me in ammo.

I have been using a Dillon 650 several years for .45 ACP which is what I shoot in IPSC. A very good press with strong customer support. Everyone I know in IPSC uses a Dillon for pistol ammo. Highly recommended.

I just got an LnL AP, it was several days of reading and asking the same questions as you.

My uncle runs only pistol ammo through his Lee progressive, it's maxed out with 223's but for straight walled pistol ammo it's pretty darn cheap and actually works well.

The Hornady LnL is basically the same price as the Lee if you account for the 1000 free bullets.

You won't be disappointed with a Dillon, and nobody will ever say "you should have gone with ___"

I got the Hornady because I liked the 650's features the absolute best, but I just couldn't afford it.

Hmmm, no suggestions for the Dillon "Square Deal B" machine....

If you only intend to load one pistol caliber, seems like a pretty fool proof way to crank out loads of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, no suggestions for the Dillon "Square Deal B" machine....

If you only intend to load one pistol caliber, seems like a pretty fool proof way to crank out loads of ammo. </div></div>

+1 on the Square Deal. I have had one for 12 years and it still cranks them out well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Dillon XL650 is just about the top of the list as far as I'm concerned. The only other one that's higher on the list would be a 1050 if you have a lot of military brass. The 1050 swages the primer pockets on every piece. Ad an automatic brass feeder and your set.</div></div>

I'd go this route or the 550b if you plan to load multiple calibers and don't necessarily need the higher speed of the 650 or 1050. I use a 550b for 45 and 223, and a Forster co-ax for 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady LnL is basically the same price as the Lee if you account for the 1000 free bullets.</div></div>

And you'll be miles ahead in quality.

Any of the dillon presses wil do what ever you want to do. This includes the SDB loader. The 550 is not an auto indexing press like the 650 or the 1050. The 550 can be had with a case feeder now days so I would look hard at that model.
Over the past 25 years I have owned a 450,550(2), 1050 and now have the 650 model, of all these the 1050 was the hardest to get to work. the 1050 needs a really solid bench that is set on a concrete floor to work right.
If you want to check them all out go www.brianenos.com/forums and first the section on reloading presses and you can learn alot about the little problems with each press and the repairs to them.
larryj

I started loading 45 on a Square Deal. Good machine just a little cramped. Once you use a case feeder there is no going back. I crank close to 1000 rds an hour on the 650 if everything is setup right loading FMJs. Just make sure you have a bunch of pickup tubes loaded with primers and your GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady LnL is basically the same price as the Lee if you account for the 1000 free bullets.</div></div>

</div></div>

Exactly. If I was to walk out tomorrow and get a press dedicated to 9mm or 45acp, I'd get the Lee press because the vast majority of the bullets I load in that are home-rolled cast lead.

Like I said above, I can only afford 1 big press right now, and I need something that will load everything that I've got, from 32 auto through 30-06.

+1 to Lumpy regarding the Dillons. I started with a Square Deal and it was a great press, then traded up to a 550B. You can't go wrong with Dillon, although I picked up a LnL AP to try. Thought with the free bullet offer, I could try it out and if didn't like it, could always sell it on ebay for full price.

AG in NC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady LnL is basically the same price as the Lee if you account for the 1000 free bullets.</div></div>

</div></div>

Exactly. If I was to walk out tomorrow and get a press dedicated to 9mm or 45acp, I'd get the Lee press because the vast majority of the bullets I load in that are home-rolled cast lead.

Like I said above, I can only afford 1 big press right now, and I need something that will load everything that I've got, from 32 auto through 30-06. </div></div>

Not sure if I misunderstood you or vice versa, but the Hornady is far superior to the Lee, will load rifle and pistol calibers...and you can always sell the bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady LnL is basically the same price as the Lee if you account for the 1000 free bullets.</div></div>

</div></div>

Like I said above, I can only afford 1 big press right now, and I need something that will load everything that I've got, from 32 auto through 30-06. </div></div>

Not sure if I misunderstood you or vice versa, but the Hornady is far superior to the Lee, will load rifle and pistol calibers...and you can always sell the bullets.
</div></div>

I think I mis-understood you. I bought the Hornady because it will do both types of ammo, and it will do them with minimal runout.

Dillon. I like the 550 I have two. Very fast change of caliber Easy to set up. A lot to be said for the 550 if your first progressive. The 1050 is crazy fast but a lot is happening at once.