• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

450 Bushmaster Subsonic Bolt Gun, anyone ?

Gee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi Guys,

I think a factory standard 1-22 twist obtains MOA supersonic accuracy at 100 yards with the 250gr Hornady FTX heads, usually in an AR-15 platform.

Anyone tried to optimise accuracy subsonic in a 450 Bushmaster bolt gun and if so, what bullet head and twist rate achieves this ?

Gee

Re: 450 Bushmaster Subsonic Bolt Gun, anyone ?

Gee, loading this is not that different from loading a 45-70, and the 45-70 guys shoot a lot of subsonic cast lead.

In a 45-70 case if you load a 400gn jacketed bullet over 29 to 30 grains of either IMR 4198 or Rx7 it should get you in neighborhood of 1200FPS and you could load work it from there.

I'm not certain of the differences in case capacity but that would be in the ballpark.

Most of the 45-70s out there are shooting a 1:18 to a 1:20. I think you could do the same.