• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.451 or .452

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Silly newbie question...I know, some will think if I have to ask maybe I should just buy and not reload..

If my groove diameter of my SW MP.45 barrel is .451, then thats the size bullet I should use right?

Re: .451 or .452

.452, taper crimp the case neck to .470, let me add , jacketed bullets are .451.
I rarely load them so I think in terms of lead in 45 acp

A lot of times people use 0.451" for jacketed and 0.452" for lead. Having 0.001" over for lead helps prevent gas cutting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of times people use 0.451" for jacketed and 0.452" for lead. Having 0.001" over for lead helps prevent gas cutting. </div></div>

The majority of the bullets you find will fit this description.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of times people use 0.451" for jacketed and 0.452" for lead. Having 0.001" over for lead helps prevent gas cutting. </div></div>

</div></div>

Well not exactly...just look at Hornady's offerings.

.451's.......

.452's.......

All kinds of .451 jacketed used in 45 autos, and all kinds of .452 jacketed used in revolvers, all over the market.

Slug the barrel...soft lead. If .451 add a thousandth if using lead bullets. If jacketed, doesn't matter as much. JMHO

0.451" or 0.452", both are safe. Try both to see which your pistol prefers. Generally speaking, the nominal jacketed bullet diameter is 0.451" and lead bullet diameter is 0.452".

I have loaded and shot 0.454" lead bullets (for 45LC) from my 45ACP with no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of times people use 0.451" for jacketed and 0.452" for lead. Having 0.001" over for lead helps prevent gas cutting. </div></div>

</div></div>

Well not exactly...just look at Hornady's offerings.

.451's.......

.452's.......

All kinds of .451 jacketed used in 45 autos, and all kinds of .452 jacketed used in revolvers, all over the market.

</div></div>

Where there are more jacketed .452 bullets on the market than I originally thought (and the majority of them coming from one company), I still think the majority is lead. So tell me, why is the 451 for autos and the 452 for revolvers?

There has always been but none are listed for 45 acp that are jacketed. I am not aware of any .452 acp jacketed bullets. The revolvers have a .452 barrel. SAA colts had a .454 barrel originally and was dropped to .452, I don't remember when though.

[/quote]

Where there are more jacketed .452 bullets on the market than I originally thought (and the majority of them coming from one company), I still think the majority is lead. So tell me, why is the 451 for autos and the 452 for revolvers? [/quote]

The difference started when folks tried to fit the bullets to the revolver. The throat of the cylinder is the critical issue. If the cylinder throats are smaller than the barrel, then NO accuracy. If you can ream the throats equally so that they are a .001 or .002 larger than the barrel, and fit the bullets to the throat of the cylinder, then the forcing cone of the barrel will (hopefully) squeeze them all down to fit the barrel and it will shoot accurately. Sometimes, the manufacturers will screw the barrel in so tightly that the threads inside the frame squeezes the forcing cone down smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel. That sizes the bullet down smaller also, causing inaccuracy in the pistol. The auto pistol doesn't have the same problem as the resolver. The chamber is cut to match the round and the barrel is the same from end to end. If you have a .451 barrel...no squeezing happens. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There has always been but none are listed for 45 acp that are jacketed. I am not aware of any .452 acp jacketed bullets. The revolvers have a .452 barrel. SAA colts had a .454 barrel originally and was dropped to .452, I don't remember when though.

</div></div>

Where there are more jacketed .452 bullets on the market than I originally thought (and the majority of them coming from one company), I still think the majority is lead. So tell me, why is the 451 for autos and the 452 for revolvers? [/quote] [/quote]

Bullets aren't listed by what gun they go in, but by diameter. If you look at the Hornady link above, only the FTX bullets are recommended for the 460 S&W, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in any other 45 cal weapon (handgun). Also the XTP bullets in .452 just say 45 cal with no recommendation as to what firearm they should be shot in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There has always been but none are listed for 45 acp that are jacketed. I am not aware of any .452 acp jacketed bullets. The revolvers have a .452 barrel. SAA colts had a .454 barrel originally and was dropped to .452, I don't remember when though.

</div></div>

Where there are more jacketed .452 bullets on the market than I originally thought (and the majority of them coming from one company), I still think the majority is lead. So tell me, why is the 451 for autos and the 452 for revolvers? </div></div> [/quote]

Bullets aren't listed by what gun they go in, but by diameter. If you look at the Hornady link above, only the FTX bullets are recommended for the 460 S&W, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in any other 45 cal weapon (handgun). Also the XTP bullets in .452 just say 45 cal with no recommendation as to what firearm they should be shot in.

[/quote] Those xpt's in .452 are 240 grain, a little heavy for an acp 45 load.