• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458-416 Barrett anyone?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
So my thought is using the 416 Barrett case and necking it up to .458. It should produce the about the same velocity as the Steyr with less powder. Also, by using the shorter case, should burn more efficiently. By using bigger diameter bullets, expansion ratio will go up so there will be a better selection of suitable powders. Seems like .458 VLD bullets are becoming available. Just trying to see if someone has done this to see what their results were.

Thanks

I talked with a guy here on the hide called Wildcats. He had a gun for sale in that caliber. Shot 528 leighs at 2900 fps.

Still think he has the gun for sale. I would do one of these myself.

Hope this helps

Later Jeff

I talked with a guy here on the hide called Wildcats. He had a gun for sale in that caliber. Shot 528 leighs at 2900 fps.

Still think he has the gun for sale. I would do one of these myself.

Hope this helps

Later Jeff

Still have the rifle ,but haven't had the time to switch the barrel and shoot the 458/416 yet.