• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 socom - 1 1/2 barnes

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
Both these cartridges seem quite similar in performance, but is the brass for the socom a dedicated product or formed from something else?
ive got loads of win mag brass ?
has anybody got some good links for reloading data
i am thinking about building a short fully suppressed rifle ,just for fun really
any ideas?

Re: 458 socom - 1 1/2 barnes

Socom brass can be bought as a dedicated product.

I seem to remember that it's 50 Smith and Wesson brass at full length, necked to accept a 45 cal rifle bullet.

You'd do just as easily taking a 30-06, cutting it off at the shoulder and running it through a 45 cal die to take out the body taper. Headspace it on the mouth and create your own wildcat.

Assuming,that is, it's allowed in Britain. If you do that the loading data for the SOCOM will work for starting loads.

My dad and I did something very similar with a 44 caliber bullet. It's a fantastic, short range suppressed rifle caliber, but it still can be loaded ultra hot with lots of pistol powder to make a 180gr XTP come out at 3200 fps if you don't mind noise. 460gr bullets at 1050 easily, they're actually downloaded for that speed.

I have no familiarity with the 1-1/2 Barnes. Can you send me a link to it?

the barnes i got from "cartridges of the world"
its based on the 458 win mag case ,
it something i have plenty of !

If you have plenty of it, you might just stick with that then, especially if you have the ability to cut the cases off quickly (lathe?)

I like your idea, my dad has basically what you want to do, I plan to do it as well when funds allow for the suppressor permit and yet another project.

The 458 SOCOM is a proprietary case. It was based on a lengthened and necked down 50 AE with the rim rebated to .473".

You might also want to consider a .458 2", since it would give you a little more flexibility to load supersonic if you wanted to.

cheers for the info
dont need it to go supersonic, i shoot 458 lott 500gn @ 2430fps
the socom brass could be a problem here in the uk , would probably have to import it
ill look at rigs for a short 1 1/2 win mag
i suppose one of the tc single shot rifles could be a good start?

well looked at both, the 1.5" case barnes can fire a 450gn @ 1200fps and at that length you can use standard 45 colt dies to load round nose not vld
not sure what length the whisper is?
in theory it should launch a 550-600 vld at 1000fps
it could be fun little round !

Be forewarned that a VLD bullet at subsonic speeds is probably not going to be stable at the standard twist rates you can find 45 caliber barrels in.

Subsonic velocities require a different orientation of the center of mass and center of pressure. It's backwards from a supersonic round, which is a good bit of the reason things start to tumble as they drop through the sound barrier unless it's VERY stable.

You might have better luck stabilizing a round nose, or get a long boat tail VLD and shoot it backwards.

i shoot 500gr barnes banded solids out of my 458 socom subsonic and very quiet without a suppressor