• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 SOCOM 400 Maker handload

ds44

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2021
Western Wisconsin
458 SOCOM Tromix heavy duty upper, 400 Maker REX, CCI 300, ?? gr CFE-BLK, 16” barrel, 1-14 twist. 5 shots 1,227, 1,218, 1,247, 1,274 and 1,231. Ave. 1,239 fps. Any reason I shouldn’t try for 1,300? Magnum primers actually decreased velocity with the 500 gr REX despite a 0.1 grain increase in charge with Lil’ Gun.

Not to be trite, but any reason you should? SD is not great but reasonable for typical 458 distances. The main question is how is your accuracy and what is your use for this?

If you have good accurate and reasonable POA/POI +/- .1-.2...then what is driving 1300? Its just a number.

Find a good stable, accurate load in a good wide node....and run that. Don't chase a specific number--its an exercise in futility and component consumption.

ZY

Why a magnum primer with Lil Gun? I save the magnums for H110/W296 type powders. Use standard with Lil Gun, IMR 4227, and IMR 4198 under 300 and 350’s. Have not loaded many 350+ as finding them is not easy. I have a 350FTX load at 1745 FPS. SD is 9.6 and ES is 20.1. That was a 10 shot spread. 31.0 grains H110 with CCI Large Pistol Magnum in a Starline case. I am a Tromix 16” barreled upper. Gun groups then at about 1” at 100 yards.

All that said the standard primers have worked better on some loads. I don’t like Lil Gun because of how dirty it is and it seems to heat the barrel quicker.

Not to be trite, but any reason you should? SD is not great but reasonable for typical 458 distances. The main question is how is your accuracy and what is your use for this?

If you have good accurate and reasonable POA/POI +/- .1-.2...then what is driving 1300? Its just a number.

Find a good stable, accurate load in a good wide node....and run that. Don't chase a specific number--its an exercise in futility and component consumption.

ZY
Just being a handloader I guess. Yes, 100 fps will make almost no difference in ballistics but there isn’t much load data out there yet. Mostly curious to see what this chambering will do.

Why a magnum primer with Lil Gun? I save the magnums for H110/W296 type powders. Use standard with Lil Gun, IMR 4227, and IMR 4198 under 300 and 350’s. Have not loaded many 350+ as finding them is not easy. I have a 350FTX load at 1745 FPS. SD is 9.6 and ES is 20.1. That was a 10 shot spread. 31.0 grains H110 with CCI Large Pistol Magnum in a Starline case. I am a Tromix 16” barreled upper. Gun groups then at about 1” at 100 yards.

All that said the standard primers have worked better on some loads. I don’t like Lil Gun because of how dirty it is and it seems to heat the barrel quicker.
Thanks for the tips. Those are the components I had at the time. There isn’t much load data out there so more than anything, just trying to get some ideas as to what to try next. The primer thing threw me too. i have since gotten IMR 4227, Ramshot Enforcer (probably a little fast for heavies) and a couple thousand standard LP primers. Some AA1680 might be in my future too.