• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 458 Socom Pistol

Rem40xb1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2007
Mountain Home Idaho
Just finished 458 Socom pistol
socom-1.jpg

Re: 458 Socom Pistol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok I'll ask it....

Why? </div></div>Don't get me wrong, I think it's BA as hell. But I also had this question when I first saw it. Does it fulfill some niche or is it just unique (which is fine by me, to each his own)

I'm reserving judgement until I see the justification,

If a one armed man wants to hunt bears... AWESOME

but I'm guessing the motiviation is a little less "noble than that" which by definition makes it worth considering
grin.gif

I did a pistol because the stock was available and because I had a 458 barrel with a bad chamber and it measured 17" with the chamber cut off. I purchased the reamer from PTG on the shot show special and chambered the barrel for the Socom. Total investment under $250.00 without the action

A badass gun from recycled parts. Win + Win = Epic Win? I think so! Have a chance to shoot it yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good work.

now we need a video!!!! </div></div>

... and a range report.

What action did you use and was it always a pistol action?

I'm asking because I was under the impression that making a pistol out of a rifle action (one that was previously a rifle) is illegal -- at least requires a SBR stamp. Am I wrong?

Note that I'm not suggesting you did anything illegal -- just asking...

Brad

Short barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm).</div></div>I think we know what an SBR is. The question was where this weapon was a pistol or a registered SBR.

It could be that it is a Remington XP100? Then it would be a bolt action handgun?

JMC

I believe that if you take an action that was once used for a rifle and turn it into a pistol an approval letter from the ATF is required. When I was going through gunsmithing school a guy wanted to build a mauser pistol and he got the approval letter. I remember it being a pretty simple task but it legally had to be done. I wasnt 100% involved so I may be incorrect with some of my info.

any fresh from the manufacturer action can be entered into your books as either a pistol or a rifle, after that time it is whatever it is recorded in the book as.

so if you have a fresh action that goes into your book as a pistol action, then thats what you have. The manufacturer shipping them generally has the bare actions distinguished as "action only" in their logbook.