• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 SOCOM SBR

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
Anyone run an SBR in 458 SOCOM? If so, how short? Reliability issues? Thinking of setting one up to take backpacking in bear country as bear medicine.

Re: 458 SOCOM SBR

A form 5320.20 didnt take a week for me to get back but it just seems like to much of a hassle to deal with for hiking in different places even a few times a summer. On top of the fact packing the extra size and weight of a carbine. Id personally stick with a revolver. Even a BFR is going to come in less than half the weight of a SBR, you can conceal/pack/store the revolver much easier than SBR.

There's a few on the socom forum. The 458 seems to run really well in an SBR with pistol length gas.

The 458 shoots very well. We use them for deer hunting and have had no issues using 300 grain barnes. 300 yards is about all I would want to shoot with it but it groups pretty well to 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What drop do you have at 300 yards? </div></div>

With all the 458 choices, pick a pill and ask here:
http://458socomforums.com/index.php
Powder Companies are starting their own pressure testing
and new powders are coming out.

I haven't taken mine past 200yds and haven't loaded
up the Barnes 300gr TTSX, yet. Should have data on
that load in three weeks from 100-300yds with chrono.

With a Made in Japan SIMMONS 2.5-10 AETEC on top, I have consistanly grouped 0.75" @ 100yds. 34gr H110, CCI 350, and 300gr REM HP is majiks.

Will put the UBR and 1-4x24 SS on her for this season:
P1010009.jpg

My brother, Louis, shooting it when I first received it @ 9 years ago:
P1010084.jpg

The 10" barrel is as short as you should go. Set up right those run flawlessly, even in full auto with mixed ammo.

There will be several articles coming out next month in both AR Rifleman and Special Weapons for Military and Police on 458 SOCOM M4's with tests on a 10" SBR version. I think the AR Rifleman article will cover your application, hunting, back country, wildlife control, etc...

Below is the link to the sneak peak on Tactical-Life with a YouTube video and there is a video on the authors Facebook page showing the SBR with a prototype 480gr sub-sonic frangible, very cool!!

Here also are some pics of a 10" SBR and 16" carbine. One thing for you to consider is that in .458 the extra barrel lenght adds little weight and you get a lot more performance from bullets like the Barnes 300gr TAC-X (which I helped develop)in the 16" and dont have to mess with the form 4

Hope this info helps.

LINKS:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/red-creek-tactical-tomahawk-cqtc/?hp=exclusives_title

Look for the 458 SOCOM frangible Video on the page below.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Bahde/176006249130360#!/pages/David-Bahde/176006249130360?closeTheater=1

PICS:
480_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_OSS_3.jpg

479_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_SBR_Upper_OSS_1.jpg

480_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_SBR_Upper_OSS_3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 10" barrel is as short as you should go. Set up right those run flawlessly, even in full auto with mixed ammo.

There will be several articles coming out next month in both AR Rifleman and Special Weapons for Military and Police on 458 SOCOM M4's with tests on a 10" SBR version. I think the AR Rifleman article will cover your application, hunting, back country, wildlife control, etc...

Below is the link to the sneak peak on Tactical-Life with a YouTube video and there is a video on the authors Facebook page showing the SBR with a prototype 480gr sub-sonic frangible, very cool!!

Here also are some pics of a 10" SBR and 16" carbine. One thing for you to consider is that in .458 the extra barrel lenght adds little weight and you get a lot more performance from bullets like the Barnes 300gr TAC-X (which I helped develop)in the 16" and dont have to mess with the form 4

Hope this info helps.

LINKS:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/red-creek-tactical-tomahawk-cqtc/?hp=exclusives_title

Look for the 458 SOCOM frangible Video on the page below.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Bahde/176006249130360#!/pages/David-Bahde/176006249130360?closeTheater=1

PICS:
480_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_OSS_3.jpg

479_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_SBR_Upper_OSS_1.jpg

480_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_SBR_Upper_OSS_3.jpg
</div></div>

Just awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What drop do you have at 300 yards? </div></div>

300 grain remington launched by lil gun and wlp primers ,1950 fps . zero at 100 yds , 200 yds 11 inch drop , 300 yds 44 inch drop