• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 Socom VS. .50 Beowulf

nx302stang

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
What's a better shooting platform? Ballistic, penetration, velocity, round availability, price, and reliability?

I want to get an AR15 upper, not sure what set-up I want to go with.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: 458 Socom VS. .50 Beowulf

More bullet selection with the 458, bottle neck may feed better and has a shoulder to head space on instead of the case mouth.

The 50 is bigger so that's cool.

I have the wulf and love it, but the ammo and brass are hard to get. If i had it to do all over again it would be the 458 because of what Tylermtech said. There is a forum for both guns to read up on them. The wulf will jam sometimes untill it breaks in witch is about 40 rounds thru it. A 20 round 223 mag will hold 7 rounds, 30 round will hold 10. Dont expect much after 200 yards, but close range for stoping a car haha. Kicks like a 20ga slug gun.

Straight wall cartridge, I reload, much easier. I don't go past 100 yards with my .50. I bought it to blow hinges and dead bolts off doors, it does that very easily! Just watch out for splinters and fragments.

Ive started to lean towards the 458. I see a number of Beo's coming up for sale and stated reason was looooong waits for components to reload and no factory ammo to be found. Not sure if its much better with the 458 though.....

I chose the 458 for the reasons mentioned above - bullet selection. There are more and cheaper options for the 458. Want to try some of the Hornady plastic tipped bullets that they just started to offer for reloaders.

I did have some feeding problems with GI type 20 round magazine. But the Pmags work great (if you can find them now!)

Rob

i love the 458, sbr ammunition has any type of load imaginable, at reasonable prices. any of thos rounds are 2 bucks a piece and up.

plus the 458 leaves a gigantic exit wound in game..

My vote is for the wulf.Hard to beat a case full of lil'gun topped off with a 300g gold dot.

Have you gave any thought to the 450 Bushmaster? It's a straight walled cartridge and easy to load for. Lot of thump behind it also.