• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .458 subsonic

CaptLink

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2009
Maryland,USA
I have been looking for a .458 to 50 caliber subsonic chambering some thing that uses a common case un-belted if possible.I like the 458 whisper or the 50 whisper but ssk will not rent me there reamers any ideas on wildcats that are clones.Ive got a great host action a 1917 eddystone so cases up to 460 Wetherby are possible. Thanks Pat

Re: .458 subsonic

i think pt&g can make any reamer you need a guy in town has a 50 whisper from ssk, cant wait to build one too

ok i have been looking at the same thing 2 cases that a re realy easy to get are a 45-70 and if you have a bolt action the 450 marlin. with either case you can run the heavy projectiles like Lehigh makes sub sonic with Trail Boss then just switch to lighter projectiles if you want to the 500gr 450 projectiles work perfectly aswell.

The 458 diameter makes it a lot easier to fit into a standard action with a magnum boltface like a rem 700 with a barrel change and nothing else.

I am working on a 450 marlin it is the best option and is registered as a common calibre here so nothing brings it into the eyes of people looking at calibres like whispers.

458 SOCOM brass is pretty pricey, but it does have the benefit of loaded ammo available for it.

If you want to have a subsonic "heavy bullet" launcher I'd suggest the 45-70 in that Eddystone. If you have access to a lathe to cut down some brass for yourself there's 2 other loadings that I'd suggest.

One is the 450 Bushmaster, which is the 284 Win case cut off at the shoulder (circa 2007) and "my" wildcat. It's a 30-06 case cut off at the shoulder, what we dubbed the "44 Kunz"... circa 2001.

Anyway, before I get into bitching about Bushmaster's "new" idea...

The cutoff based wildcats fit into AR15 lowers and they can easily be setup for suppressed, subsonic fire with super heavy bullets.

One of my dad's favorites for our wildcat is 460gr hard cast @ 1100 fps.

Brass is dirt cheap and easy to make, when you go to the range and pick up 25-06 or 270 or 30-06 it's all parent brass for the wildcat. Just cut it, load it, and shoot it.

Why? What are you going to use it for?
Suppressed?
How far are you going to shoot it?

I like heavy subsonic stuff just as much as the next guy. I don't shoot these guns past 100yds either. These are my suburban killing guns.

The best thing you can do is go with a 45acp or a 50ae. Cheap cheap cheap. And the projectiles will expand at your target speeds, without costing over $2 each.

If you just want to push massive weight a lot farther, then I can't help you. That topic doesn't interest me.

OP,
You might look in Schnick's book about sniping In Vietnam. The Army did a good bit of research on the 458 2" M 70 with integral suppressor. Really did not work out too well. Jack is right, It is not really practical beyond the .45 acp or 50 ae. And about the belt, Why do you not want one. I have loaded them for years with no problem. I read so often, "without the problems associated with a belt". Unless you are pushing the shoulder back too far, there are no problems associated with a belted case. And the problems would be worse without a belt. JMO

I'm so glad I found this sight lots of good input.I will be using it for hunting and quite practice 100+ will be the norm and yes it will be suppressed.Cast bullets are preferred due to cost and the only problem with the belt is the need for the collet resizing die and most do not feed as smoothly.I would build a .458 whisper or a clone of it but I have been searching for ever for information on clone whispers.I am a professional gunsmith and have the tools of the trade but trust me ssk dose not rent reamers.I like the Idea of a 50 on a wsm case that should help feed problems being a straighter case Pete keep us posted any info on subsonic wildcats that reamers are made for etc would be of great help Pat

50EBG750amaxcopy.jpg
458 socom necked up to .510

Its time to do some building gents I have 300blk reamers due in by new years day if any new .458 sub cartridges have come up please let me know I will need reamers gauges loading dies and hopefully a parent case that won't make me cry if I loose one.Thanks