• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45acp question

_RJ_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
OR, AK
Just shot some reloads and I noticed there was a lot of smoke, more carbon fouling than usual and specs of powder that was greenish in color inside the chamber area and slide. Not my first time reloading, but first time reloading for pistol. Here is the load data.

Powder: HS-6 --> 7.2gr (Hornady book velocity 750fps)
Primer: Federal match large pistol
Bullet: Hornady XTP 230gr
Case: Remington
Gun: XD .45 Compact

It grouped well but for the 10 shots I made there was more fouling than I like. The other day I shot 300 rounds of 230gr UMC ball ammo and it fouled less than the 10 shots of reloads.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Re: .45acp question

OK from what I understand about HS-6 its a dirty powder or can be.I too think that your load is a little low for that bullet.Thats why you are getting the unburnt powder in your slide area.All so its just the choice of powder with the amount thats not giving you a full 100% burn of the powder.I think that if you just bump it up a little say to 8gn you might see a big difference.but work up to the 8gn for it might spike in pressure in your pistol.

I was reading the other day that you should use magnum primers with HS 6 powder to get a better, cleaner burn.

Try the Viht powders. I found them to be "cleaner". Also Bullseye, and Tightgroup.OK. Dug through my load data. Good groups were 6.0 Unique, 230 Gr.FMJ.Better groups from 230gr. lead swagged, but "cleaning", is a bitch My Viht- 340 loads were 7gr., behind a 200gr. HP Berry plated.The Berry bullets, are nice, and cheaper than jacketed. These shot 2" groups, at 25yds. from the rest, out of a Colt Gold cup.

Yeah, it looks like my load is a little low. I looked at the hodgdon site and they have 8gr start load & 8.2 max load. But I'm still going to work up from my 7.2gr in increments.

OK I went out to my reloading room to get a little more info for ya.I found that HP38,Trail Boss,and Universal will all give you a better burn with less powder.HP38 will be the lesser of the three useing a 5.7gn max load useing a 230gn XTP.just remember to work up to this for its a max load in a different pistol.

For the fouling the only thing that comes to mind is the fact of them being two different bullets.One could have a harder jacket than the other.The other thing that comes to mind is that your load is a slow load not allowing the powder to properly burn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R milspec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I went out to my reloading room to get a little more info for ya.I found that HP38,Trail Boss,and Universal will all give you a better burn with less powder.HP38 will be the lesser of the three useing a 5.7gn max load useing a 230gn XTP.just remember to work up to this for its a max load in a different pistol.

For the fouling the only thing that comes to mind is the fact of them being two different bullets.One could have a harder jacket than the other.The other thing that comes to mind is that your load is a slow load not allowing the powder to properly burn.</div></div>

Thanks for your help. I'm re-researching powders right now. Looks like Hodgdon Clays might be a good choice also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thought. At "low loads", the neck doesn't expand, and you get "blow back", past the brass. Just my exp.</div></div>

I ment to put "slow loads", but that does make sense about the neck expansion.

Thanks again.

I still have a half full+ bottle of Hodgdon Clays powder leftover from my initial tests years ago, it sucked so much ass I never even finished off the bottle.

For .45 ACP, I use HP38, 5gr for 230gr bullets. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds with this load.

HS-6 is a dirty powder in 45 ACP.

I went as high as 8.5gr of HS-6 behind a 230 XTP for 900fps out of a 5" 1911, but that was MAXIMUM for that gun. I switched from HS-6 though because it was so dirty (high carbon fouling and unburned powder residue at all charge weights). Unique is cleaner than HS-6 was.

I've used a lot of HP38/W231 and it's supposed to be dirty but I can shoot several hundred rounds through my Wilson before cleaning it. It's fairly cheap, meters well in my Dillon and is an accurate powder in .45, .38, 9mm. I can buy it by the 8 lb. bottle for $125, at least that was the price last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for your help. I'm re-researching powders right now. Looks like Hodgdon Clays might be a good choice also.
</div></div>

Clays is an excellent powder for .45ACP - I use 4.2g under a cast SWC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have a half full+ bottle of Hodgdon Clays powder leftover from my initial tests years ago, it sucked so much ass I never even finished off the bottle.

For .45 ACP, I use HP38, 5gr for 230gr bullets. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds with this load. </div></div>

I've never seen anyone say that about Clays. What was your load data?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used a lot of HP38/W231 and it's supposed to be dirty but I can shoot several hundred rounds through my Wilson before cleaning it. It's fairly cheap, meters well in my Dillon and is an accurate powder in .45, .38, 9mm. I can buy it by the 8 lb. bottle for $125, at least that was the price last year. </div></div>

Same for me. 5.3 grns, 230 fmj accurate, economical, I go 6-700 rds before I clean and havent had any issues. I load on a Dillon and W231 flows like liquid in the powder measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRKmachinist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have a half full+ bottle of Hodgdon Clays powder leftover from my initial tests years ago, it sucked so much ass I never even finished off the bottle.

For .45 ACP, I use HP38, 5gr for 230gr bullets. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds with this load. </div></div>

I've never seen anyone say that about Clays. What was your load data?</div></div>

I loaded 4.0gr Clays with 230gr FMJs. Was extremely dirty, by far the worst I saw from any of the powders I tested, which included HP38, Power Pistol, Bullseye, Green Dot, True Blue, N320, N340, and N310. (I keep a lot of notes)

Well I loaded up some more with HS-6 up to max load. Still no pressure signs but still really dirty. I'm going to try HP38.

Just loaded up a bunch with HP-38. Good news all loads done in the workup were very clean and no flakes of powder left behind. Very happy with the results. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Probably was said before but HP38 and Winchester 231 are the same. Load data is exactly the same. I buy which ever I can find. I never mix them but I don't mix powder from one canister to the other even if it is exactly the same type.

W231 has been my go to for 45 ACP for a long, long time. 5.1 grains in a 230 load has been very reliable in my guns.