• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 45ACP suppressor host (not pistol)

J-Hon

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2006
Dry Ridge, Ky
Was musing 45ACP as a decent round to suppress, if mainly because of the bullet selection (lots of bullets designed to expand sub-sonically) which gives me faith in terminal ballistics at short ranges. The logistics of 45ACP bullets and cans also didn't hurt my feelings either.

Looking at host options.... I'm not sure I'm seeing much. Something semi-auto (or at least a bolt action) would be great. AR platform stuff seems to be hinky and expensive, and there don't seem to even be many real options outside of Olympic.

Anyone have any word on a the Marlin camp carbines? Are the MechTech Glock setups as goofy as they look? Is there a platform that I'm completely overlooking?

Re: 45ACP suppressor host (not pistol)

The MechTech stuff requires some special permitting from the ATF I thought, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't looked for a couple of years, but I thought those kits turned the pistol into something that required a $200 stamp.

The Marlin Camp Carbines work pretty well when I've played with them, but I don't own one. I only shot about 30 rounds from one unsuppressed. It was fun, a suppressor would have made it much more fun.

My dad built himself a 45ACP conversion to run 1911 magazines in an old Mauser action. I think it was a kit from Rhineland Arms or patterned after the kit, I forget which.

It is a LOT of fun with 230 cast bullets and a suppressor. Extremely cheap to load and you can shoot out to surprising ranges (>300yd) with the right optics. We were using it and the 44 wildcat that he and I developed to shoot 460gr cast bullets this weekend.

The target was a 10" plate at 180yd from their deck, we went through about 100 rounds just waiting between dinner and dessert yesterday.

Seen a cool setup built off an Encore with a shorter barrel, can, and a 1.5-5 Leupold (I think) on top with turrets. That's what actually got me thinking, and probably not a bad way to go but man I wish there was something that was at least magfed.

I have a Marlin Camp 45 for sale in the classified section if interested.

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are not breaking any new ground here. A real waste of time. Honestly, let it go and try a different path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

</div></div>

Yeah that's cool and all.... but that's not really what I'm after. I want something to punch deer with out of a stand, and for other short-range vermin. Not exactly looking to re-create the worlds greatest subgun or something. I only mentioned the MechTech setups because of their usage of Glock mags which is appealing from a logistics front.

So aside from hyper-expensive machineguns, got any more reasonable choices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USC converted to UMP. </div></div>

yup

T&C encore.

Allows you to do what you want with it.

(I wish H&R make a carbine in 45acp)

Bazooka Brothers .45 ACP AR Upper. Check it out.

The cheapest and most effective way to go about this will be with an Encore as Alderleet mentioned. Cheap...easy to work with...reliable...effective.

The HK USC/UMP is certainly another viable option. You wouldn't necessarily have to go with a complete conversion to the UMP, but to thread the barrel for a can, you will have to obtain US parts for 922r compliance. Find a nice, used USC (can be had for around $1200-1250), then increase your US parts count by obtaining the required parts from HDPS, HKParts.net, etc., then have your barrel threaded to match up with the thread pattern on your can and have at it. The only other thing you may need to do (and it has been a while since I hunted in KY, so I don't recall specifics), but you may need to figure out a mag block or how to permanently modify a mag to 5-round capacity for hunting purposes.

Your thinking is clear, but go with the silenced Ruger 77/44 bolt action gun.

It is giggle fun and the best deer rifle made out to 200yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So aside from hyper-expensive machineguns, got any more reasonable choices? </div></div>
Who said anything about a Machine-gun? The De Lisle is a BOLT ACTION integrally suppressed rifle. Information is given to you and you fail to absorb it. What a shame.

I would go with the camp carbine unless you wanted to make your own. I am making a near copy of a delisle carbine. I converted my Enfield to 45 acp with the Rhineland Arms kit, but it feed ejected poorly. I put more threads on the barrel and turned it down to set it back into the action more.

I will shorten the bolt to compensate for the set back barrel. Next I need to attach a monocore (after form 1 is approved) to the chopped down (10") and contain that in an offset can with baffles around the core.

Barrelandnut.jpg

action.jpg

Ranb

The DeLisle in all it's glory.
delisle1.jpg

A .45 caliber, bolt action, surpressed rifle. It uses 1911 magazines and is said to be very quiet.

Someday, when I find one, it will meet a group of hogs, and make me very happy.
grin.gif

This is my next SBR:
tumblr_kq2kbrv5S71qzw2tto1_r1_500.jpg

Although I have to make sure it can take the 13rd Glock 21 mags first

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kriss is one gun I do not understand when this is available in any Glock caliber why would anyone want that chunk of klunk?

robertsilversglock.jpg

</div></div>
Did you SBR that Glock? Or is there a DIAS in it?

I had Fox Ridge Outfitters, which is Thompson Contender's Custom shop build me a 16" one off custom 45 acp tube for my Contender that was threaded for my 45 can.

Not too cheap, but a pretty simple setup.

dsc00008o.jpg

georgiashoot09083.JPG

Yes I can sell you the HK tactical threaded 16.5" shilen select match barrel for your encore. No, I only have one. The accuracy such a setup is capable of will blow your mind...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That encore is 45acp too? </div></div>

Yep. Custom barrel by Match Grade Machine. Built on a Stainless Shilen Select Match blank. Using a SWR Hems2 in the pictures. Spooky accurate. Downside is how hard it was/is to get one of these made. Took 6 months....

Knock knock, whose there?
Mackay 'n Jack
Its 30+ year old solution, but it gets you there.
Note that the project did not end up with a .45acp chamber, but rather .45 WinMag (who could forget that monster, rim is so close as not to matter, thicker rear wall too) That allowed for the use of infinitely heavier bullets. It does call for careful, careful chrono, seating and powder/filler selection and yada yada yada. But what you got was as good as it got for accuracy, knock down and suppression got four of the five. A suppressed .45 auto slide cycling sounds much louder than this whole rig going off.

kk1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dsc00008o.jpg

georgiashoot09083.JPG

Yes I can sell you the HK tactical threaded 16.5" shilen select match barrel for your encore. No, I only have one. The accuracy such a setup is capable of will blow your mind...</div></div>

I remember seeing yours... which is kinda what spurred the idea.

I guess I'm not opposed to the idea...but man a mag-fed setup really would be nice.

Hello this is my first post so I'm a little late to the discussion butit is nice to learn from a massive group of shooters such as this. My contribution to this topic in the form of what I did with my Marlin 1894 44 carbine. I handload a hornady 300 grain xtp right at a 1000 fps and using a tirant 45 with fixed barrel spacer on the end of my barrel that was threaded by grizzly custom, it is Rediculous. We didn't even have to shorten the mag tube because the factory 578.x28. Gas piston provides perfect clearance. Anyway when i learn how to post pictures I will do so. That's my first contribution. Nice to meet you guys.